Seriously No Politics ×

Former Bishop Hunger Strike for Youth Interview Policy Change

This probably won’t turn out well.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900026367/lds-church-responds-to-man-engaged-in-hunger-strike-to-protest-bishops-interviews.html

SALT LAKE CITY — Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints responded Sunday afternoon to a man who has launched a hunger strike to protest church policies regarding interviews with children and youth.

Sam Young, a former LDS bishop from Houston, stopped eating Friday at 7 p.m. On Sunday morning at 9, he announced his hunger strike. He said his goal was for the church to stop one-on-one bishop's interviews with children and youth and to end the use of what he described as sexually explicit questions during those interviews....

During his Facebook Live broadcast, he directly called on people to encourage others not to join the church.

"If you have people you know who are considering joining the church, please brief them of the danger to their children in the (LDS) church," he said. "This is probably not the optimal time for families with kids to join."

Edited by Bernard Gui
1 minute ago, Judd said:

I’ve never really understood the rational of a hunger strike, but whatevs. I did like Homer’s, though.

Best policy...ignore them??

37 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

This probably won’t turn out well.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900026367/lds-church-responds-to-man-engaged-in-hunger-strike-to-protest-bishops-interviews.html

He said his goal was for the church to stop one-on-one bishop's interviews with children and youth and to end the use of what he described as sexually explicit questions during those interviews....

That's not the policy anymore, so I don't know why he thinks he can attract attention this way. Maybe he will starve himself.

I don't know the answer. I do agree that thousands have been harmed by bishops that have given inappropriate interviews and that there is/was a problem. But I do wonder if there are youth out there that may have done something in their lives that they really need to get off their chest and need the repentance process and it would be difficult with a parent in there.

But then again there are far too many that are abused with one on one meetups. So I see how difficult this may be for the church because I'm sure they have the repentance process for youth in mind. But it's like a mine field out there right now for them. And Sam is probably going to get e'xed one day for telling people publicly not to join the church and for not backing off from the protests.

Boy, there is never a dull moment in Mormondom. I really don't remember the church being in the news this much from the outside coming at them. It's either too bad for the church or long overdo on some things that they are being attacked for. There are some things the church did wrong, but hopefully things will turn around. But I'm sure the church will continue on because it always does, needless to say. 

44 minutes ago, Judd said:

When there’s a threat of... absolutely nothing, it leaves little reason to respond or acknowledge.

47 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

Best policy...ignore them??

And yet he we are not ignoring them.

1 hour ago, Bernard Gui said:

I have wanted to post about for a two days now.  I am glad the Church responded and stated future meetings with Sam are unnecessary.

Sam has a blog, which started in mid 2016, his attitudes toward the Church are open for all to read.

18 minutes ago, Thinking said:

And yet he we are not ignoring them.

Ironic, isn't it.

What I mean is for official government/school/church/institutional etc. responses.

29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I don't know the answer. I do agree that thousands have been harmed by bishops that have given inappropriate interviews and that there is/was a problem. But I do wonder if there are youth out there that may have done something in their lives that they really need to get off their chest and need the repentance process and it would be difficult with a parent in there.

But then again there are far too many that are abused with one on one meetups. So I see how difficult this may be for the church because I'm sure they have the repentance process for youth in mind. But it's like a mine field out there right now for them. And Sam is probably going to get e'xed one day for telling people publicly not to join the church and for not backing off from the protests.

Boy, there is never a dull moment in Mormondom. I really don't remember the church being in the news this much from the outside coming at them. It's either too bad for the church or long overdo on some things that they are being attacked for. There are some things the church did wrong, but hopefully things will turn around. But I'm sure the church will continue on because it always does, needless to say. 

Societal changes sweep up all in their vortex of continual chaos.

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

It's only in the news in Utah

No one else cares. 

People are fasting from food for two weeks to feel better, lose weight, etc.  Fasting is a current fad, imo.

Assuming he is drinking water at least, I don't think putting on a limit (as I read him saying) of two weeks is going to have much of an impact.

I have noticed nothing outside of Salt Lake in terms of solid news coverage (just two or three automatic repeats when .I checked).  It is the weekend, but this was announced yesterday so I have my doubts of it getting much coverage given how I have seen other stuff picked up at least minimally even on weekends.

I don't understand him at all.   Once the church made the changes in June formally, setting the list of questions, none of which are explicit, and allow children and youth (and for that matter adults) to bring someone with them, I don't understand why he keeps beating the drum.   He's already won what he says the kids need.

The righteousness of his motives and actions aside, the real value in protest comes from the result. If LDS leadership makes further changes, then he has done well, and we can agree that it was inspired (because LDS leadership allegedly doesn’t do anything contrary to God’s direction).

If no changes come, then his actions are moot. He’s one more protester angry about something, but ineffective at driving actual change.

I am all for protest - I love our agency to do so. But, we should ask ourselves if our form of protest is effective or white noise.

5 hours ago, Calm said:

People are fasting from food for two weeks to feel better, lose weight, etc.  Fasting is a current fad, imo.

Assuming he is drinking water at least, I don't think putting on a limit (as I read him saying) of two weeks is going to have much of an impact.

I have noticed nothing outside of Salt Lake in terms of solid news coverage (just two or three automatic repeats when .I checked).  It is the weekend, but this was announced yesterday so I have my doubts of it getting much coverage given how I have seen other stuff picked up at least minimally even on weekends.

I don't think what he is doing is fasting. Hunger strikes may be similar to fasting in that you go without food, but the inward motivation is often quite different.

8 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Thousands?

Highly unlikely.

6 hours ago, Calm said:

He is drinking water and taking vitamins.

1 hour ago, Avatar4321 said:

I don't think what he is doing is fasting. Hunger strikes may be similar to fasting in that you go without food, but the inward motivation is often quite different.

I am just saying it is not as drastic as the language “hunger strike” would attempt to make it appear which is usually understood to be as long as needed unto death. 

Edited by Calm
9 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Read the article.

The church responded, the policy was clarified in march. It's a perfect compromise.

20 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Read the article.

The church responded, the policy was clarified in march. It's a perfect compromise.

I think it's a good step as well.  Give parents and youth a choice regarding not being alone in their interviews with an adult male. 

But from what I understand, Sam Young wants NO one-on-one interviews at all (between a church leader and a child or youth) and also absolutely no sexually explicit questions.  I know that Bishops are only supposed to ask if the youth lives the Law of Chastity, but some Bishops are still going into more detail and asking more questions (if I'm understanding correctly).  He wants that to end.

He has stated that he will end the strike early if:

10 bishops come forward and commit to: 

1. No one on one interviews.
2. No sexually explicit questions. Ever.

I was discussing this with my Bishop yesterday, and he said that he'd step forward and commit to always honoring requests for a parent or adult to be in the room (he does that now with several families in our ward), but not to such extremes as are being asked for here. 

He already doesn't ask "sexually explicit questions" (and never did), so that one isn't too difficult for him to commit to.

Edited by ALarson
3 hours ago, rpn said:

I don't understand him at all.   Once the church made the changes in June formally, setting the list of questions, none of which are explicit, and allow children and youth (and for that matter adults) to bring someone with them, I don't understand why he keeps beating the drum.   He's already won what he says the kids need.

It's not all that he's asked for....he doesn't want a compromise.

He's doing this to bring more attention to this issue (and also to make more aware of the stories he has on his website....I think there are over 600 now).  He is at least being successful regarding getting some attention over this, but I doubt his demands will be met.  I've read that there was a pretty large turnout yesterday, but "large" can mean different things to different people!

Anyone know more about the number of people who showed up?