Sign in to follow this  
JAHS

Suicide rates increased by extreme temperatures

Suicide rates increased by high altitude and now also by Climate 

Extreme Temperature
"Now, a ground-breaking new study has found a disturbing link between climate change, extreme temperatures and suicide. By comparing temperature and suicide data from thousands of US counties and Mexican municipalities over several decades, the study has revealed strong evidence that hotter weather increases suicide rates.
All in all, the researchers found that if the world warms by 2.5 degrees Celsius by 2050, it could result in a 1.4 percent increase in America's suicide rate and a 2.3 percent increase in Mexico's suicide rate.  After taking into account population growth and no less than 30 climate models, the researchers predict that hotter temperatures could result in an additional 21,000 suicides in the US and Mexico by 2050."

Scientists Have Found a Disturbing Link Between Suicide Rates And Climate Change

High altitude
"The researchers reviewed and analyzed previous evidence linking higher altitude of residence to increased risk of suicide and depression, and considered possible explanations for these associations. "There are significant regional variations in the rates of major depressive disorder and suicide in the United States, suggesting that sociodemographic and environmental conditions contribute," Dr. Kious and coauthors write.
They analyzed 12 studies, most performed in the United States, including population-based data on the relationship between suicide or depression and altitude. While the studies used varying methods, most reported that higher-altitude areas had increased rates of depression and suicide. In general, the correlation was stronger for suicide than for depression.
The highest suicide rates were clustered in the intermountain states: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming."

Could living at high altitude increase suicide risk? Evidence suggests possible treatments, reports Harvard Review of Psychiatry

Then of course there are those who blame the LDS church for the high suicide rate among teens in Utah.
It would be interesting to know how many suicides happen in Utah during the hot summer compared to other seasons
Whatever the case Utah is subject to both of these conditions. 

Posted (edited)

From the second link:

While more than 80 percent of US suicides occur in low-altitude areas, that's because most of the population lives near sea level. Adjusted for population distribution, suicide rates per 100,000 population were 17.7 at high altitude, 11.9 at middle altitude, and 4.8 at low altitude. Studies from some other countries, but not all, also reported increased suicide rates at higher altitudes

That is a huge difference.  I wonder if they threw out small populations where one death could really skew the rates.

If borne out by future studies, these mechanisms suggest some possible treatments to mitigate the effects of altitude on depression and suicide risk: supplemental 5-hydroxytryptophan (a serotonin precursor) to increase serotonin levels, or creatinine to influence brain bioenergetics. Dr. Kious and colleagues identify several areas in need of further research, including the effects of prolonged exposure to altitude on both serotonin metabolism and brain bioenergetics.

5htp gives me headaches, sigh.

Never tried creatinine.

I want them to hand out oxygen concentrators myself.

Edited by Calm

8 hours ago, JAHS said:

The highest suicide rates were clustered in the intermountain states: Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming."

Maybe there is a connection to the proximity to the I-15 interstate corridor.

Taking a long walk this afternoon...I havta tell ya...I thought about it.😵

I don't buy it - if the culture was the same culture for the decades of the research then they might have something. However, because they did not have a stable influence - culture - their methodology is off. This reeks of a social agenda seeking support - really poor science. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Taking a long walk this afternoon...I havta tell ya...I thought about it.😵

Okay you, if you're saying what I think you are, we need to go on a walk sometime and talk. One of these days I need to drive to Logan! 

Speaking of the topic of hot weather, it's stinking hot and depressing, in fact I feel like I'm in hell right now. I can't believe I ever said I wanted to move to St. George because of the depressing weather on the Wasatch, with the inversion. But times like, this no way!

Edited by Tacenda

9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Okay you, if you're saying what I think you are, we need to go on a walk sometime and talk. One of these days I need to drive to Logan! 

Speaking of the topic of hot weather, it's stinking hot and depressing, in fact I feel like I'm in hell right now. I can't believe I ever said I wanted to move to St. George because of the depressing weather on the Wasatch, with the inversion. But times like, this no way!

Come walk with me...we will do the river walk...nice and cool...!!

Interesting on the temperatures. I know when it gets too hot I don't want to move/exercise which would decrease your serotonin. 

I was telling my husband yesterday that if Brigham Young had sent me here (Phoenix) I would have to refuse. We even have a pool here, but at these temperatures even the pool is 95 degrees. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2018 at 8:27 PM, Storm Rider said:

I don't buy it - if the culture was the same culture for the decades of the research then they might have something. However, because they did not have a stable influence - culture - their methodology is off. This reeks of a social agenda seeking support - really poor science. 

If you don’t like it you can always kill yourself to throw off the numbers.

On 8/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, The Nehor said:

If you don’t like it you can always kill yourself to throw off the numbers.

😲

I mentioned these news articles to demonstrate that there are a number of various factors that can contribute to the depression that leads to suicide and not just what people claim the church is responsible for.

Sign in to follow this