Seriously No Politics ×

Gospel Concepts in Popular Movies (Quotes)

I like movies.  I used to really like movies, but these days I am fairly busy, and my tastes appear to be changing.  Nevertheless, I enjoy movies as a medium for messages.   So I thought of a sort of enjoyable exercise: Let's submit quotes from movies which reflect some sort of precept which is reflected in the Restored Gospel.

I'll start.  Here are a few that I like:

Gladiator (2000): A reminder of the continuity of life.  And that our decisions now affect us in the hearafter.

Maximus: Brothers, what we do in life ... echoes in eternity. 

Ghostbusters (1984): We have family and friends waiting for us.  "On the other side."  Remembering that alters our perspective in the here and now.

Peter Venkman [with fondness]: See you on the other side, Ray.

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001): A philosophy that recognizes both the limitations, and the lengths, of our reach.  A reminder of our responsibilities as we steel ourselves against the adversities we encounter.

Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times; but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003): Hollywood's version of 1 Corinthians 2:9 ("But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.").

Pippin: I didn't think it would end this way. 
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path ... one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass ... And then you see it. 
Pippin: What? Gandalf? ... See what? 
Gandalf: White shores ... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise. 
Pippin: [smiling] Well, that isn't so bad. 
Gandalf: [softly] No ... No it isn't. 

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989): Hollywood's version of 1 Kings 18:21 ("And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him."), and John 6:66-68 ("From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.  Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?  Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.") and many others.

Donovan: The Grail is mine, and you're going to get it for me.
Indy: Shooting me won't get you anywhere.
Donovan: You know something, Doctor Jones?  You're absolutely right.
[Donovan shifts his aim, just a bit, and shoots Henry, Indy's father.  The bullet enters his side below the ribs.]
Indy: Dad?!
Henry: [weak] Junior...

[Henry collapses. Blood flowing from the wound. Brody and Sallah rush to his assistance.   Indy spins toward Donovan with murder in his eyes.  Donovan points the gun at him.]
Donavan: [cruel and firm] You can't save him when you're dead.  The healing power of the Grail is the only thing that can save your father now. It's time to ask yourself what you believe.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989): Hollywood's version of 2 Corinthians 6:16-17 ("And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.").

Henry Jones: My boy, we are pilgrims in an unholy land.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946): A reminder of how intertwined we are in each other's lives.

Clarence: Strange, isn't it?  Each man's life touches so many other lives, and when he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991): A reminder of the values of patience and trust.  And of the limitations of man's understanding.

Valeris [referring to a painting hanging in Spock's quarters]: I do not understand this representation.
Spock: It is a depiction from ancient Earth mythology. 'The Expulsion [of Adam and Eve] from Paradise.'
Valeris: Why keep it in your quarters?
Spock: To be a reminder to me that all things end.
Valeris: It is of endings that I wish to speak. Sir, I address you as a kindred intellect. Do you not recognise that a turning point has been reached in the affairs of the Federation?
Spock: History is replete with turning points, Lieutenant. You must have faith.
Valeris: Faith?
Spock: That the universe will unfold as it should.
Valeris: But is this logical? Surely we must...
Spock: Logic, logic, logic. Logic is the beginning of wisdom, Valeris, not the end.

The First Knight (1995): A prayer worth remembering.

King Arthur: May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure.

So do any of you have movie quotes that are meaningful to you in a Gospel context?

Thanks,

-Smac

Willy Wonka:

Everyone is excited to get, what they believe, is a tour of the factory and a lifetime supply of chocolate. Each person is tested and all fail. Despite his own failure, Charlie repents for his actions and demonstrates his loyalty. Wonka was not just looking to give away a tour and some chocolate, but was looking to give away all he had.

I used clips from this in my Sunday school class but the Karate Kid. He wanted to learn something but was given, what he viewed as, menial tasks unrelated to learning. It wasn’t until hindsight that he recognized the small and simple things taught greater lessons. 

Sometimes people bring up their pet subjects or say the same things over and over and over and over again, much to the dismay to everyone in the class

"The gospel might be likened to the keyboard of a piano—a full keyboard with a selection of keys on which one who is trained can play a variety without limits; a ballad to express love, a march to rally, a melody to soothe, and a hymn to inspire; an endless variety to suit every mood and satisfy every need.

How shortsighted it is, then, to choose a single key and endlessly tap out the monotony of a single note, or even two or three notes, when the full keyboard of limitless harmony can be played." Boyd K. Packer, Oct. 1971 GC

Not the best movie (a little rough -Rated R) but I like the use of Ezekial 25:17 in Pulp Fiction. Especially at the end, where Samuel L Jackson character said that he's "the tyranny of an evil man but he's trying real hard to be a Shepard"

Overall, part of the storyline deals with a bad man doing bad things, resizing that there is a higher power, and leaving his old life.

5 hours ago, smac97 said:

I like movies.  I used to really like movies, but these days I am fairly busy, and my tastes appear to be changing.  Nevertheless, I enjoy movies as a medium for messages.   So I thought of a sort of enjoyable exercise: Let's submit quotes from movies which reflect some sort of precept which is reflected in the Restored Gospel.

I'll start.  Here are a few that I like:

Gladiator (2000): A reminder of the continuity of life.  And that our decisions now affect us in the hearafter.

Ghostbusters (1984): We have family and friends waiting for us.  "On the other side."  Remembering that alters our perspective in the here and now.

The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (2001): A philosophy that recognizes both the limitations, and the lengths, of our reach.  A reminder of our responsibilities as we steel ourselves against the adversities we encounter.

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003): Hollywood's version of 1 Corinthians 2:9 ("But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.").

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989): Hollywood's version of 1 Kings 18:21 ("And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the Lord be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him."), and John 6:66-68 ("From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.  Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?  Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.") and many others.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989): Hollywood's version of 2 Corinthians 6:16-17 ("And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.").

It's a Wonderful Life (1946): A reminder of how intertwined we are in each other's lives.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991): A reminder of the values of patience and trust.  And of the limitations of man's understanding.

The First Knight (1995): A prayer worth remembering.

So do any of you have movie quotes that are meaningful to you in a Gospel context?

Thanks,

-Smac

An uncountable number.

Ah yes, inspired fiction.

Interesting idea. ;)

Lots of great quotation in Heaven is for Real about the NDE of little Colton Burpo.  

I really liked how his dad admitted getting really angry at G-d and blasting G-d for taking the life of his son.  

Not presented in a movie format, but the series "The Expanse" is really one long movie based on a series of books. The "Belters" build a ship called the Nauvoo for the Mormons. However, there seems to be a lack of religious themes in the series. The most religious part is a lady reverend  that ends up on the Nauvoo after it is retasked under a new name. Since I haven't read the books, it is possible one of the gates opened up by the ring will be the answer to the journey the Nauvoo was built for since the series has a distinct lack of other religious sects. Language and a bit of violence and nudity make the series at least PG-13 if not R. Probably only 1 or 2 episodes would be R out of about 39 so far. Amazon has contracted to make the last season of episodes.

Of course Superman uses El as the family name of Superman. He goes about doing good in secret - this is slightly reminiscent of scripture:

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

Here's some of my favorites that I'm sure are represented in the Gospel somewhere:

Lion King
"Oh yes, the past can hurt. But you can either run from it, or learn from it."

Cast Away
“I know what I have to do now, I’ve got to keep breathing because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring.”

Bruce Almighty -
Bruce - How do you make someone love you when you can't effect free will?
God - Welcome to my world, son. You come up with an answer to that one, you let me know.

Evan Almighty 
If someone prays for patience, you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient?
If they pray for courage, does God give them courage, or does he give them opportunities to be courageous?
If someone prayed for their family to be closer, you think God zaps them with warm, fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other? 

The Santa Claus
Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing 

Miracle on 34th Street
Faith is believing something when common sense tells you not too 

Aladdin 
Do not be fooled by its commonplace appearance. Like so many things, it is not what's outside, but what's inside that counts

Ferris Bueller's Day Off
“Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
“It is not our abilities that show what we truly are. It is our choices.”

Mulan
“The flower that blooms in adversity is the most rare and beautiful of all.”

The Bucket List
“You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. 
When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. 
Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. 
‘Have you found joy in your life?’ ‘Has your life brought joy to others?’”

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Do, or do not. There is no “try”

8 hours ago, smac97 said:

Star Trek, Season 3, Ep 4 -

Spock: "Evil does seek to maintain power by suppressing the truth."

"A Christmas Carol"

I like a number of versions but my favorite continues to be the 1985 made-for-TV version starring George C. Scott.

Quote from Marley's ghost (taken from the D*i*c*kens novel): "Business? Mankind was my business! ... The dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business."