How we succeeded at sharing the gospel

5 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

Maybe it is, but i would love to get people past the fighting stage

Understood.

Our previous area president used to remind us that the average convert has eight previous encounters with the Church or Church members. Everyone wants to be number eight, he used to say, but we can't get to number eight without numbers one through seven. For what that might be worth...

• Like 3

On 7/11/2018 at 2:54 AM, clarkgoble said:

Are you from Nova Scotia? They made that temple after I'd moved here to Provo but I grew up in Halifax. Would have just missed you as I went on my mission in 87. (To Louisiana) My parents were there until around 2003 or 2004. (Can't remember exactly when) They then retired to Alberta. We lived just down the road from the Halifax chapel.

Actually they have a really nice temple in New Glasgow, N.S. that is only about one hundred kms from home.

I also attended a meeting in Port Hawkesbury back during the 1990's but I think it was merely in a rented room at a hotel.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, DennisTate said:

Actually they have a really nice temple in New Glasgow, N.S. that is only about one hundred kms from home.

Wow I missed that they made a temple in New Glasgow. I was talking about the Institute Building that was made into a temporary Temple on weekends by Pres. Hinkley. I didn't know they made a full time temple. That's cool to know. A big step up from when I was a kid and there were few members in Nova Scotia and we had to drive to DC to go to the temple.

Edit: are you sure? I searched and I can't find any temple in New Glasgow and they're still a branch there. That'd be a particularly odd place for it as they couldn't staff it. From what I can see the only temple is over in west Dartmouth although it's now in operation Wednesday through Saturday - so it's basically a full temple now.

36 minutes ago, DennisTate said:

I also attended a meeting in Port Hawkesbury back during the 1990's but I think it was merely in a rented room at a hotel.  

They've had a chapel for some time now. It used to be that a lot of small branches would rent spaces. Even back in Halifax as a kid we met in an elementary school until they built the chapel near where I lived when I was around 12 or so.

Edited by clarkgoble

You can find the temples here:

https://www.lds.org/temples?lang=eng

I think, Dennis, you probably mean "chapel".  Only members can go to our temples except for open houses when temples are new or renovated.  Weekly meetings are at our chapels/churches.

There is a temple in Dartmouth:

https://www.lds.org/temples/details/halifax-nova-scotia-temple?lang=eng

Here is the New Glasgow meetinghouse (hopefully, not sure this will work):

https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/@45.598020,-62.680584,13&cid=HP16FDM&lang=eng&id=ward:50237&media=ward:50237

13 hours ago, Calm said:

I think, Dennis, you probably mean "chapel".  Only members can go to our temples except for open houses when temples are new or renovated.  Weekly meetings are at our chapels/churches.

Whoops. Sorry. I thought Dennis was a member. My apologies for assuming too much Dennis.

4 hours ago, clarkgoble said:

Whoops. Sorry. I thought Dennis was a member. My apologies for assuming too much Dennis.

Few nonLDS tell us we are good for proselying.  :)  I too assumed Dennis was a member until he mentioned in an aside in his third or fourth post he was not. 

On 7/11/2018 at 6:06 PM, Avatar4321 said:

Maybe it is, but i would love to get people past the fighting stage

Try this: 

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2018 at 1:08 AM, 6EQUJ5 said:

NDEs are a trick of the devil.

Wow, that's taking it in a startling direction.  This would mean that the devil has control over our bodies and minds?  How else could he get into there?  And haven't we been told that the devil can't read our minds?  How then could he induce dreams and visions?  And if the devil can counterfeit dreams and visions, how do we know that those we assume are sent by God are actually sent by God and not Satan?

So much false doctrine has been spread and too many have been led astray but supposed NDEs.  

Too many have been led astray by false teachers of the scriptures, too.  Are we then to disregard the scriptures because some charlatans have misused them?  And let's not forget those who falsely claim revelations from God.  Must we then disregard revelation through prophets and apostles because there have been those who have counterfeited revelation?

The prophets and apostles are all we need.  

We also need personal revelation. How are we to believe those prophets and apostles without confirmation through the Holy Spirit?  And then, how are we to believe the confirmation if the devil can so easily counterfeit spiritual experiences?

I confess I'm not entirely clear about your religious affiliation -- my apologies, but are you LDS?  If you are, wouldn't you think it odd, that if NDEs are tricks of the devil, that a search on lds.org for the term "near death experience" yields zero hits that call this a work of the devil?  If these were so misleading and evil, shouldn't there be something of a cautionary nature found there? In fact, I ran such a search and found exactly one article, from The Ensign (that was reprinted in The Liahona) with a mention of near-death experiences.  And it only mentioned it in passing without passing any judgement upon it.  And even seemed favorable. "Then there are the widespread reports of near-death experiences, with remarkable consistencies between them."

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2016/06/what-do-we-know-about-life-after-death?lang=eng

In short, nobody in authority in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day is preaching against NDEs.

You're entitled to your opinions, of course, but I think I disagree that NDEs are tricks of the devil.

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 1