Bernard Gui

The Nephite Baptismal Prayer

There are numerous variations on the baptismal ordinance since the restoration began.  Since those days we have eliminated all but two (living/dead).  But that doesn't make the various others any less valid, just not currently authorized.

• Like 3

A beautiful prayer, indeed!

Thanks for posting this!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

There are numerous variations on the baptismal ordinance since the restoration began.  Since those days we have eliminated all but two (living/dead).  But that doesn't make the various others any less valid, just not currently authorized.

I really like the additional explanation of the covenant in this one, but, of course, the one we use is official and just as effective.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 2

There have been other covenants that have changed and become more simple over the years.  I don't believe the simplification changes their meaning.  I think it falls in the category of parables, as the Savior said in Mark 4:11-12 "Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
            12 That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them."

The Gift of the Holy Ghost is a wonderous gift.  "...when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money,
            19 Saying, Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
            20 But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
            21 Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
            22 Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
            23 For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity.
            24 Then answered Simon, and said, Pray ye to the Lord for me, that none of these things which ye have spoken come upon me."

Acts 8:17-24

Initially, Simon didn't understand.  But this scripture shows that enlightenment can begin with confusion, fear, hope then repentance.  When that can happen, the simple ordinance makes sense because they begin to experience "theSpirit of the Lord be poured out upon you; and may he grant unto you eternal life, through the redemption of Christ, whom he has prepared from the foundation of the world.“ as mentioned in your reference.

• Like 1