Seriously No Politics ×

Pres. Lorenzo Snow's vindication

On 6/28/2018 at 2:14 PM, hope_for_things said:

Believe in what?  Should we wait 30 years until after Trump dies for some distant relative to claim that he had some miraculous experience, and then just accept that claim as factually accurate?  Is this how we should operate in the world?  Believe in anything that confirms your preconceived biases regardless of how tenuous the evidence is, just because somebody somewhere claimed something happened without any corroboration.  

I know, I have pioneer church ancestors.  How about I make up a story (faith promoting of course) about one of my ancestors that was a church leader, and claim that my grandparent told me this story, and then I'll submit it to the Ensign to see if some editor will publish it?  Then in another 50 years after this story has been retold multiple times, everyone will just accept it as gospel truth.  Faith promoting rumors, this is the stuff that really keeps the base energized.  

Works for those who take for historic fact anti-Joseph Smith stories and recollections of exact words in conversations that happened 50 years previously.

I tell my grandkids the story of my father’s miraculous conversion back in 1959. It’s the gospel truth. I was there. If they tell the story to their kids, will it no longer be true? Why would someone assume it was made up?

Edited by Bernard Gui

double post

Edited by Bernard Gui

weird quadruple  post

Edited by Bernard Gui

Triple post

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • 2 weeks later...

Allright so for the story as to the trunk of Pres. Snow's stuff going missing. Apparently it is Snow family tradition and several Snow family members have said that, that one of Snow's descendants took a trunk load of papers, diaries and correspondance to California some time and burned everything and a son, Oliver Snow came onto the scene but it was too late. That was a citation from the book on Lorenzo Snow by Dennis Horne. There is also a reference in the Anthon Lund Journal for Oct. 21, 1901 that the same Oliver Snow by the First Presidency Office to collect his father's "money and valuables" as he was the court appointed person to do that. 

There sure seems to be a lot of doubt here as to the veracity of the Snow vision claim.  Yet, I have yet to see anyone post the ensign article written by his grandaughter, referencing said visitation where he himself told her.

Are you all saying she lied sharing such sacred things openly to the whole church?

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/09/a-visit-from-the-savior?lang=eng

“One evening while I was visiting Grandpa Snow in his room in the Salt Lake Temple, I remained until the door keepers had gone and the night watchmen had not yet come in, so grandpa said he would take me to the main front entrance and let me out that way. … After we left his room and while we were still in the large corridor leading into the celestial room, I was walking several steps ahead of Grandpa when he stopped me and said: ‘Wait a moment, Allie, I want to tell you something. It was right here that the Lord Jesus Christ appeared to me at the time of the death of President Woodruff. He instructed me to go right ahead and reorganize the First Presidency of the Church at once and not wait as had been done after the death of the previous presidents, and that I was to succeed President Woodruff.’

“Then Grandpa came a step nearer and held out his left hand and said: ‘He stood right here, about three feet above the floor. It looked as though He stood on a plate of solid gold.’

“Grandpa told what a glorious personage the Savior is and described His hands, feet, countenance, and beautiful white robes, all of which were of such a glory of whiteness and brightness that he could hardly gaze upon Him.

“Then he came another step nearer and put his right hand on my head and said: ‘Now, Granddaughter, I want you to remember that this is the testimony of your grandfather, that he told you with his own lips that he actually saw the Savior, here in the temple, and talked with Him face to face.’”

Edited by Sevenbak
9 minutes ago, Sevenbak said:

There sure seems to be a lot of doubt here as to the veracity of the Snow vision claim.  Yet, I have yet to see anyone post the ensign article written by his grandaughter, referencing said visitation where he himself told her.

Are you all saying she lied sharing such sacred things openly to the whole church?

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/09/a-visit-from-the-savior?lang=eng

“One evening while I was visiting Grandpa Snow in his room in the Salt Lake Temple, I remained until the door keepers had gone and the night watchmen had not yet come in, so grandpa said he would take me to the main front entrance and let me out that way. … After we left his room and while we were still in the large corridor leading into the celestial room, I was walking several steps ahead of Grandpa when he stopped me and said: ‘Wait a moment, Allie, I want to tell you something. It was right here that the Lord Jesus Christ appeared to me at the time of the death of President Woodruff. He instructed me to go right ahead and reorganize the First Presidency of the Church at once and not wait as had been done after the death of the previous presidents, and that I was to succeed President Woodruff.’

“Then Grandpa came a step nearer and held out his left hand and said: ‘He stood right here, about three feet above the floor. It looked as though He stood on a plate of solid gold.’

“Grandpa told what a glorious personage the Savior is and described His hands, feet, countenance, and beautiful white robes, all of which were of such a glory of whiteness and brightness that he could hardly gaze upon Him.

“Then he came another step nearer and put his right hand on my head and said: ‘Now, Granddaughter, I want you to remember that this is the testimony of your grandfather, that he told you with his own lips that he actually saw the Savior, here in the temple, and talked with Him face to face.’”

it's interesting too in late 1946 Elder Widtsoe was asked to investigate the matter and by that time all of the Q12 and First Presidency who were around Pres. Snow were long gone. Anyways he wrote a letter to Noah Pond who was the husband of the Granddaughter of Pres. Lorenzo Snow. He verified what his wife had said and had indicated where the experience was supposed to have happened. It's thought that the experience happened on the night Sept. 2, 1898 according to a DN news article that was written in 1941 that quotes Pres. Grant who heard it from Pres. Lorenzo Snow and he (Pres. Grant) said he (Pres. Snow) " was instructed of the Lord"