Seriously No Politics ×

Families in the next life-how does that all work?

How does the sealing of families work in the next life? does it mean you can associate with them forever or what about people that don't get sealed or aren't faithful to their covenants? it sounds nice to be sealed as a family but what is the lived experience in the next life, is what I am wondering! Like if don't make it but my sister does and she becomes a God with her Hubbie can she visit me or she won't or can't or what?

10 minutes ago, Duncan said:

How does the sealing of families work in the next life? does it mean you can associate with them forever or what about people that don't get sealed or aren't faithful to their covenants? it sounds nice to be sealed as a family but what is the lived experience in the next life, is what I am wondering! Like if don't make it but my sister does and she becomes a God with her Hubbie can she visit me or she won't or can't or what?

I don't think anyone knows the details of all this.  But the most important sealing I think is the sealing between husband and wife. If they are exalted, they are the ones that will really be together forever. If their children are sealed to spouses they will be off somewhere else with their spouse. I would think there would still be some way to associate with them.    Just remember the log in password, "You still have to call us!" 

Just now, CA Steve said:

I have always wondered what I might be doing that would be still be of interest on 256th  day in the 3,548,259,748,658th year of my existence.

Probably telling stories to your descendants, a la Grampa Simpson. 

Being off somewhere assumes space and time will have the same limitations for us as they do now.  Since Christ could walk through walls or more likely somehow move through space as if a door opened and allowed him to move from wherever he was to wherever he wanted to be, I imagine he has ways to manipulate space and time.  Thus even different galaxies (universes?) are all just next door so borrowing that cup of sugar is still possible.

Edited by Calm
42 minutes ago, Duncan said:

We don't really know but I suspect they live down the block ;)

People who tell you they have it figured out are wrong.  :)

Or they may be right we just don't really know which it would be.

I'm reading the Givens' new book and they have a lot to say about it.

Edited by mfbukowski
36 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Probably telling stories to your descendants, a la Grampa Simpson. 

That sounds nice, but it kind of misses the point. If we actually live that long and continue to have offspring, some of which also start to have offspring and so on, the number representing how many individuals are my direct descendants quickly approaches infinite. I come from a large family and I am sure that the number of direct descendants just from my parents is well over two hundred. That is only in a time period of 90 years. Multiply that by a life span measured in millions (billions? or more)  and you quickly get an infinite number or nearly so of descendants. And this is only looking at one individual. At what point does infinite time and increase among mankind (Godkind?) become pointless or even impossible?  Will my 1,254,865,567,985,456,845th descendant be just as special to me as the dozen or so I have now? I tend to think we look at families are forever as this wonderful notion but without actually considering what it means or if we really truly want it.

Me? I think that long before I even reach a few thousand years old, I would tire of a purpose whose main focus was creating more people and places for them to live.

Edited by CA Steve
36 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

We don't really know but I suspect they live down the block ;)

People who tell you they have it figured out are wrong.  :)

Or they may be right we just don't really know which it would be.

I'm reading the Givens' new book and they have a lot to say about it.

what Givens' book?!

13 minutes ago, Duncan said:

what Givens' book?!

Yes, and why is it a secret?!?! :D;) 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I think that we don't know any details, and probably won't know the details until the matter is sorted out.

Pretty much anything that is said in this thread is going to be out and out speculation.

Unless someone knows something I don't know.  Which is certainly possible.

23 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I think that we don't know any details, and probably won't know the details until the matter is sorted out.

Pretty much anything that is said in this thread is going to be out and out speculation.

Unless someone knows something I don't know.  Which is certainly possible.

Well, according to the angel who appeared to me last night ...

:D :rofl: :D 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

what Givens' book?!

Feeding the Flock. About a year old I think, not that new. Fantastic as usual, and totally comprehensive.

20 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Well, according to the angel who appeared to me last night ...

:D :rofl: :D 

Hey, that was supposed to be MY angel!  

2 hours ago, CA Steve said:

That sounds nice, but it kind of misses the point. If we actually live that long and continue to have offspring, some of which also start to have offspring and so on, the number representing how many individuals are my direct descendants quickly approaches infinite. I come from a large family and I am sure that the number of direct descendants just from my parents is well over two hundred. That is only in a time period of 90 years. Multiply that by a life span measured in millions (billions? or more)  and you quickly get an infinite number or nearly so of descendants. And this is only looking at one individual. At what point does infinite time and increase among mankind (Godkind?) become pointless or even impossible?  Will my 1,254,865,567,985,456,845th descendant be just as special to me as the dozen or so I have now? I tend to think we look at families are forever as this wonderful notion but without actually considering what it means or if we really truly want it.

Me? I think that long before I even reach a few thousand years old, I would tire of a purpose whose main focus was creating more people and places for them to live.

I'm glad God doesn't think that way 

Maybe that's the problem

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

They work just like families in this life with knowledge and compassion squared.

3 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

They work just like families in this life with knowledge and compassion squared.

so what's the point of sealings? there are more people who aren't sealed than who are, what about them? if everyone gets sealed what is so great about sealing people? are families broken up and you never see these people again.What about relatives you care not to see again? I did 75 years with them, good enough!!!!

2 hours ago, MDalby said:

2 hours ago, MDalby said:

Cat got your tongue, Mark? ;) :D

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

so what's the point of sealings? there are more people who aren't sealed than who are, what about them? if everyone gets sealed what is so great about sealing people? are families broken up and you never see these people again.What about relatives you care not to see again? I did 75 years with them, good enough!!!!

Heh.  Reminds me of a couple I once heard about who got a civil divorce but didn't get their sealing cancelled.  When asked about it, the wife shrugged and said, "Meh, it's just this life I can't stand him in." :huh: :unsure:

;):D 

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

I've never understood why this needs to be so complicated.

1000 years of temple work featuring direct instruction from the other side should be enough to get all sealings complete and in place.  People will choose for themselves, including whether they will be part of eternal families or not.

D&C indicates that being in any kingdom requires obedience to its laws.

Those that obey the law of the Celestial in this life or by acceptance of proxy ordinances will be family units.  Those that don't will be separate and single.  Not that confusing.

7 hours ago, Duncan said:

Anyone in higher kingdoms of glory can visit the lower kingdoms.  However, if suggestions that LDS theology is universalist are true, then we'll nearly all be in the celestial kingdom, and visiting will be easy.  The whole human family is related, some more distantly than others, and all of us will know just where we fit on the genealogical sequence.