Seriously No Politics ×

Cain's offering

I had a few questions about these passages in the Book of Moses.

Moses 5:18 says, "And Cain loved Satan more than God. And Satan commanded him, saying: Make an
offering unto the Lord. And in process of time it came to pass that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground
an offering unto the Lord.
"

Was Cain commanded twice, by both Satan and God, to make an offering?

Moses 5:25 says, "And it shall be said in time to come—That these abominations were had from Cain;
for he rejected the greater counsel which was had from God; and this is a cursing which I will put upon
thee, except thou repent
."

Who is 'thee' a reference to?

Moses 5:40 says, "And I the Lord said unto him: Whosoever slayeth thee, vengeance shall be taken on him
sevenfold. And I the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him
."

Was this mark a curse (a negative) or a form of protection (a positive)?

Thanks,
Jim

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

That's what I've been told. Luckily I don't believe a lot of man made scripture.

I would give you a rep point, but can't. This story always seemed to be myth to me, like the greek myths or other creation myths from other cultures.

On 6/20/2018 at 10:18 PM, Exiled said:

I would give you a rep point, but can't. This story always seemed to be myth to me, like the greek myths or other creation myths from other cultures.

Why? It’s confirmed by another Prophet called Abraham in the first chapter of the book named after him in the Pearl of Great Price. Now you condem three prophets as perpetuating a myth.

This is Pharaoh Mena considered to be the first Pharaoh of Egypt, the eldest daughter of Egyptus and a righteous man.

You think he didn’t make it to heaven because of lineage?

A5BB8FD0-CFD6-4B73-B63D-7B033F6F2F8D.jpeg

I am not sure, but I think Cain's offering was rejected by the Lord because it was commanded by Satan, although the type of offering ( grain? ) may have been wrong also. Cain might have been miffed that he would have had to purchase a lamb from his brother in order to make the proper symbolic sacrifice.

What kind of mark would be quickly recognizable to all so they would not kill Cain? I assume it would have to be somewhere exposed like the face, perhaps a large red birth mark. There is a big plot hole in the Genesis narrative in that Cain and Able are always looked upon as the first born but no sooner is Cain cursed then he goes over to the Land of Nod and gets married. Where did all the Nodites come from?

10 hours ago, strappinglad said:

What kind of mark would be quickly recognizable to all so they would not kill Cain? I assume it would have to be somewhere exposed like the face, perhaps a large red birth mark. 

There is no instance that God ever put a mark on Cain's children (for protection) so people finding them would not kill
them too.

Jim

On 6/23/2018 at 4:28 PM, theplains said:

There is no instance that God ever put a mark on Cain's children (for protection) so people finding them would not kill
them too.

Jim

By "instance" I suppose you mean "evidence", and I happen to agree with you.  

On 6/18/2018 at 11:50 PM, theplains said:

I had a few questions about these passages in the Book of Moses.

Moses 5:18 says, "And Cain loved Satan more than God. And Satan commanded him, saying: Make an
offering unto the Lord. And in process of time it came to pass that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground
an offering unto the Lord.
"

Was Cain commanded twice, by both Satan and God, to make an offering?

Moses 5:25 says, "And it shall be said in time to come—That these abominations were had from Cain;
for he rejected the greater counsel which was had from God; and this is a cursing which I will put upon
thee, except thou repent
."

Who is 'thee' a reference to?

Moses 5:40 says, "And I the Lord said unto him: Whosoever slayeth thee, vengeance shall be taken on him
sevenfold. And I the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him
."

Was this mark a curse (a negative) or a form of protection (a positive)?

Thanks,
Jim

I don't know what the mark would be, but as for the offering, I believe that the offering was rejected either because his offering was not of the correct kind (and of course Satan would have had him offer up that which is not acceptable).  

From a few verses earlier in the chapter:

4 And Adam and Eve, his wife, called upon the name of the Lord, and they 
heard the voice of the Lord from the way toward the Garden of Eden, speaking 
unto them, and they saw him not; for they were shut out from his presence.
5 And he gave unto them commandments, that they should worship the Lord their 
God, and should offer the firstlings of their flocks, for an offering unto the 
Lord. And Adam was obedient unto the commandments of the Lord.
6 And after many days an angel of the Lord appeared unto Adam, saying: Why dost 
thou offer sacrifices unto the Lord? And Adam said unto him: I know not, save 
the Lord commanded me.

The correct offering was "the firstlings of their flocks".  Offering vegetables does not fulfill this command.

The reason why vegetables were not acceptable is because of what the offering was supposed to represent:

7 And then the angel spake, saying: This thing is a similitude of the 
sacrifice of the Only Begotten of the Father, which is full of grace and truth.

In order to be a similitude of the sacrifice of the Only Begotten, only a spotless lamb is appropriate.  Because Christ is the Lamb of God.  And for those who think that poor Cain was a farmer and so didn't have any sheep to be able to offer them, there is no evidence to suggest that he didn't have livestock too --- it's just cheaper to sacrifice produce!  And he could have traded veggies for a lamb with his brother Abel in any case.  Or any other relative in the neighborhood.