Seriously No Politics ×

Announcement Re: Revisions to Hymnbook and Children's Songbook

32 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

The Children's hymnal needed a lot of work. A lot of those songs just aren't easy to sing and more importantly aren't terribly catchy.

The adult one seemed fine so I'm surprised they're revising that one.

Whatever song ha s"firm as the Mountains around us" I would like to pitch, plus that "in Our lovely Deseret" 

17 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Our ward's bishop just got a notice from the Church that it will be revising the hymnbook and children's songbook.  Here's the relevant bit:

Cool!  My suggestions will be:

1) Add "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing."

2) Add "Amazing Grace."

Any others?

Exciting stuff!

Thanks,

-Smac

That is pretty cool. 

I like that it will be the same set of hymns for all languages. No more having to look up two sets of hymns from different hymnbooks for different languages. 

The website is already active, so you can go ahead and make those suggestions now. 

Though, technically, I think "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing" would be an add-back, rather than an add. I believe it was in the Hymnbook previously and was taken out when it was last revised back in the 80's. 

6 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Whatever song ha s"firm as the Mountains around us" I would like to pitch, plus that "in Our lovely Deseret" 

If they are doing a new one I'd love variant music for particular hymns. While I love the current Hie to Kolob tune borrowed from the old Star of the Country Down (technically Kingsfold - but that drinking song is the one everyone recognizes) I would love to have the more difficult original music available.

Edited by clarkgoble

I never enjoyed the last update to the Hymnal they did back in the....was it the 80's?  It just seemed to lose some really good hymns and added some hymns that were not as meaningful to sing to me personally. 

I do appreciate the idea of having a unified hymnal that includes hymns from other cultures brought into the worldwide church to sing together.

Edited by Storm Rider
38 minutes ago, smac97 said:

2) Add "Amazing Grace."

I'm friends with the son of one of the people that was on the committee for the last update.  He told me once that the committee specifically left "Amazing Grace" out of the hymn book as it was felt that the doctrines taught were too close to protestant teachings on being born again and salvation through grace alone.

Personally, I've heard the song so many times that I'm pretty tired of it.

50 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Our ward's bishop just got a notice from the Church that it will be revising the hymnbook and children's songbook.  Here's the relevant bit:

2) Add "Amazing Grace."

Any others?

Exciting stuff!

Thanks,

-Smac

Agree!! And am excited for new songs that will be entered for consideration. 

14 minutes ago, Duncan said:

or from the Marx brothers, the law firm of Dewey, Cheatem and Howe"!

It seems there was never a law firm which took on this name, but there is a restaurant so named. I think the local bar association holds annual boycott protests there before buying everyone a round of drinks. ;) Robin Williams spoofed an unrepeatable version...    However, I think you and I are the first to claim Law Dee Da. :) I'm trademarking it now just in case you get any bright ideas... oh, I guess you had yours already.

Edited by RevTestament
1 hour ago, Duncan said:

It’s called “Carry On.” And I love that hymn. It’s rousing and catchy. And fairly popular. I don’t think they’ll delete that one. 

“In Our Lovely Deseret” has a quaint charm, though I think it should be limited to the children’s songbook. I would hate to see that one gone. 

9 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Standard complaining and faultfinding about “Praise to the Man” coming in three ... two ... one ....

Why should anyone mind singing a hymn of worshipful praise to a man? Seems unreasonable to me ;) 

It's a very catchy tune but was a bit odd singing it yesterday as a "father's day" hymn.

4 minutes ago, SouthernMo said:

I already entered my thoughts on the survey, and suggested “Mary, Did you Know?”  I love that song, but I think it will be some time before anyone at the Church Office Building seriously considers it.  Too modern?

When I was ward choir director, I had our choir perform that at the stake Christmas choir devotional. 

2 hours ago, Duncan said:

Isn't that timely!! Hope it's great. I wonder what mechanism will be put in place to learn any new hymns. Remember the old Sunday school practice hymn?

Edited by Bernard Gui
3 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Why should anyone mind singing a hymn of worshipful praise to a man? Seems unreasonable to me ;) 

It's a very catchy tune but was a bit odd singing it yesterday as a "father's day" hymn.

“Worshipful” praise to a man? Distort much? 

And who said it’s a Father’s Day hymn. For that matter, what Father’s Day hymns are there? None that I know of. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
5 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

If God’s name is “Man of Holiness” then all our hymns worship men. We let slip in praise of women in “O My Father”. Though it you also accept that God is a term referring to an exalted couple or plural marriage group then all our hymns are in praise of married human couples.

Another way to ostracize us second class citizens. I never realized how devious the Church music people are in promoting their covert pro-marriage agenda.......

Edited by The Nehor
2 hours ago, smac97 said:

Agree 100%!!!!!!!!!!!!!