Seriously No Politics ×

Boycotts and/or protest murmurings of Freedom Festival

9 minutes ago, Walden said:

I think the topic of suicide is being discussed on another thread, but you seem to insinuate that homosexuality is a mental illness and that one of the side-effects of this mental illness is suicidal ideation....this shows a complete lack of understanding of cause and effect, not to mention absolute ignorance regarding sexual preference. Higher rates of suicide among the homosexual community is a result of this type of ignorance.

Regarding your shots at homosexuals and the relation to mental health, one could argue that those who devote absolute allegiance to an institution such as the church, those who are opposed to critical thinking, isolate members and penalize them for leaving, emphasize special doctrines outside scripture, seek inappropriate loyalty to their leaders, teach that failure to comply with church teachings is a dishonor the family unit, etc. are members of a cult and that this blind allegiance results from a mental illness....I would never make this argument, but in the same vein as your argument, it surely could be made.

I had been responding to the scattergun which included "Mormons make me want to kill myself," above.  So  ...  you want to try again with my CFR?

16 minutes ago, USU78 said:

I had been responding to the scattergun which included "Mormons make me want to kill myself," above.  So  ...  you want to try again with my CFR?

Stay focused USU78, I reviewed the posts in this topic and none of them mention that "Mormons make me want to kill myself", maybe you are confused with the other topic directly related to suicide in the gay community and the relation to the church's teachings.

As one who seems well-versed in mental illness, I am sure you are aware that according to the National Alliance for Mental Health "LGBTQ individuals are almost 3 times more likely than others to experience a mental health condition such as major depression or generalized anxiety disorder. This fear of coming out and being discriminated against for sexual orientation and gender identities, can lead to depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, thoughts of suicide and substance abuse."

Getting back to the original topic, I live close to West Hollywood, so I am aware of the concerns that some may have regarding the "in-your-face" strategies that some gay proponents/adherents use to provoke reactions and /or induce shock. Personally, I find it a little immature, but I don't take offense to it. I would think that the LGBQT community in Utah would be best served by taking a low-key approach to participation in this event, walk in the parade and wave your flag proudly, make some literature available to the curious, but refrain from the over-the-top extravagances that I often see (and sometimes enjoy) in West Hollywood.

16 minutes ago, Walden said:

Stay focused USU78, I reviewed the posts in this topic and none of them mention that "Mormons make me want to kill myself", maybe you are confused with the other topic directly related to suicide in the gay community and the relation to the church's teachings.

As one who seems well-versed in mental illness, I am sure you are aware that according to the National Alliance for Mental Health "LGBTQ individuals are almost 3 times more likely than others to experience a mental health condition such as major depression or generalized anxiety disorder. This fear of coming out and being discriminated against for sexual orientation and gender identities, can lead to depression, posttraumatic stress disorder, thoughts of suicide and substance abuse."

Getting back to the original topic, I live close to West Hollywood, so I am aware of the concerns that some may have regarding the "in-your-face" strategies that some gay proponents/adherents use to provoke reactions and /or induce shock. Personally, I find it a little immature, but I don't take offense to it. I would think that the LGBQT community in Utah would be best served by taking a low-key approach to participation in this event, walk in the parade and wave your flag proudly, make some literature available to the curious, but refrain from the over-the-top extravagances that I often see (and sometimes enjoy) in West Hollywood.

Perhaps you missed this from cb, to which I originally responded:

[ I]t is exactly these kinds of attitudes in Utah that I feel is causing despair among some LGBT youth.  Sending signals that "you are not welcome here" is what makes some loose hope for a better life as a gay person.

The accusation that Mormons through their behavior and Mormondom through its doctrines cause homosexuals to have suicidal ideation and acting out is well known, especially hereabouts.  It is slander.  Acknowledging the endemic mental health issues is not an unkind thing.  You did it yourself.  Claiming it is unkind is frankly a ridiculous thing.

Now  ...  as to my CFR, is it your position that the above, quoted post answers it?  If so, I quite agree and say, "Well done."  That's exactly what I was thinking of.

Edited by USU78
23 minutes ago, Walden said:

If you do not think that the LDS church and its followers have discriminated against homosexuals, than you and I have very different experiences in the LDS church and very different interpretations of the teachings of LDS leaders on this topic throughout LDS history. It is this type of discrimination that highly contributes to depression, anxiety and yes suicide in the gay community. I never insinuated that homosexuality is a mental health issue, you did that. I only referenced the statistics from an organization of mental health professionals showing that it is the discrimination, bigotry and ignorance regarding homosexuality that leads to mental health issues in the LGBQT community

Maybe your church experience in Utah was much more open-minded and accommodating than the one I experienced in Southern California.

Slander.

Pure and simple.

And antiMormon bigotry.