phaedrus ut

The Maxwell Institute and the Honor Code

I've noticed that Benjamin Park is currently at BYU as a visiting fellow at the Maxwell Institute .  I have also noticed that he has quite a handsome beard.   Is the Maxwell Institute exempt from the dress and grooming standards of the Honor Code? Just curious. 

Phaedrus  

I'm sure he'll be burned at the stake shortly. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Considering his very obvious beard in the photos on the website I don't think I was outing him.  

39 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

I've noticed that Benjamin Park is currently at BYU as a visiting fellow at the Maxwell Institute .  I have also noticed that he has quite a handsome beard.   Is the Maxwell Institute exempt from the dress and grooming standards of the Honor Code? Just curious. 

My understanding is that visiting professors can wear a beard, see here (emphasis added):

Full-time or part-time non-LDS faculty who are employed at BYU for one year or less may wear a beard, unless it is intended that they continue their employment with BYU for longer than one year. Since affiliate faculty, visiting scholars and cooperating professionals are not University employees, they are encouraged, but not required, to be clean shaven.

If they plan on sticking around, however, they'll need to get a waiver.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, phaedrus ut said:

Phaedrus  

I find that flash-in-the pan grooming fad quite gauche.

1 hour ago, phaedrus ut said:

Phaedrus  

HAHAHAH!!!! :clapping:The beard police are on MDDB, how funny, I had no idea.

• Like 1

He put a lot of effort into that beard, good that exceptions are made for non permanent professors, imo.  

Given the cultural aspect of the rule (as opposed to moral aspects of the Honor Code), I see no reason why exceptions shouldn't be made for beards.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, hope_for_things said:

HAHAHAH!!!! :clapping:The beard police are on MDDB, how funny, I had no idea.

Phadreus is nonLDS, I believe, so I suspect he is not policing, but just observing.

Phadreus, my apologies if I overstated your situation...I got the impression that is what you consider yourself.  I will be shocked if I find out you actually care about whether or not BYU lets men have beards in any significant way.  I will definitely have to reread more posts if my memory is that off.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Amulek said:

My understanding is that visiting professors can wear a beard, see here (emphasis added):

If they plan on sticking around, however, they'll need to get a waiver.

I assumed that was the case but I had never seen it during my short stint at BYU and the only exception I knew of was a beard card.  Thanks. 

I noticed Blair Hodges retained his beard when he went to work for the institute. Maybe there’s a special dispensation at play here. Or maybe policies have changed. 

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I noticed Blair Hodges retained his beard when he went to work for the institute. Maybe there’s a special dispensation at play here. Or maybe policies have changed. 

Well, I think it is pretty clear that after John Dehlin got Dr. Peterson fired from the Maxwell institute that this little cabal has been granted special privileges.  Perhaps beards are part of it.

1 minute ago, 6EQUJ5 said:

Well, I think it is pretty clear that after John Dehlin got Dr. Peterson fired from the Maxwell institute that this little cabal has been granted special privileges.  Perhaps beards are part of it.

Dehlin didn’t get him fired. 

And he wasn’t fired from the institute. He was removed as editor of the Mormon Studies Review, after which he voluntarily separated himself from the institute. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Oh yeah I've noticed that too. Maybe the Maxwell Institute is in the university but not of the University.  IIRC Blair posts here on occasion, maybe he'll clarify the rules. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, phaedrus ut said:

Considering his very obvious beard in the photos on the website I don't think I was outing him.  

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Never said you were. ;) 

Edited by Kenngo1969

Phaedrus  

It looks like a short term position for the summer, so I suspect he was granted permission.

Had this been BYU-I on the other hand...   :help:

• Like 1

Phaedrus  

5 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Never said you were. ;) 

1 hour ago, phaedrus ut said:

Oh yeah I've noticed that too. Maybe the Maxwell Institute is in the university but not of the University.  IIRC Blair posts here on occasion, maybe he'll clarify the rules. 

Blair is a redhead.  Could have sensitive skin.  :P

23 minutes ago, Calm said:

Blair is a redhead.  Could have sensitive skin.  :P

That may explain some other things also. 😊

Glenn

I note that B Park got a Masters of Science in Theology. Interesting combination.

As for the beard, it looks quite Islamic, probably why it was not questioned. :ph34r:

11 hours ago, phaedrus ut said:

Phaedrus  

Did you just out him?

9 hours ago, phaedrus ut said:

........................  I don't have any supernatural beliefs but I find they study of Mormonism and religion in general fascinating. .............................

Even though most members don't realize it, Mormon theology is not supernatural.  Just the opposite.  Shshsh...  Don't tell anybody.

• Like 1

Phaedrus  

He just wants to look like Blair

1 minute ago, mfbukowski said:

He just wants to look like Blair

Oops. Already mentioned

I have also noticed that he has quite a handsome beard.

Thanks! You've just contributed to my breaking the 10th Commandment ... :(

Hi everyone,

This is Ben Park, he with the beard. Someone pointed me to this thread and I thought I'd set the record straight. As was noted above, BYU revised its policy in the last couple of years so that if you are a visiting faculty for less than twelve months you are not required to shave. So the Institute is expected to follow all the honor code requirements found throughout the campus.

I'll add that it's been lovely to rock a Brigham Young beard while on Brigham Young University campus. I get looks, but everyone has been nothing but welcoming. I'll probably be cutting it soon, but only because it is becoming a headache to manage.

As you were.

BP