Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Scholar John Tvedtness

I never met Tvedtness, nor do I recall ever hearing him speak live. But I do know of his stellar reputation as a scholarly defender of the Mormon faith, and I regret his passing. 

As a sample, here is a a transcript of an address he gave years ago at one of the FAIR (now FairMormon) conferences:

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2003/the-charge-of-racism-in-the-book-of-mormon

13 hours ago, Anakin7 said:

It has just come to my attention that LDS Scholar John Tvedtness passed away yesterday. I never met him personally but we spoke much on the phone regarding spiritual things, responding to critics, He often would send me via snail mail papers/responses to LDS critics, correspondences he had with a # of LDS critics who respected him as an individual and LDS Apologist. May True Grace be with him in the Eternal Mansions on High.

The Atonement it Is The Central Doctrine

Washing My Garment/Robe In His Blood

In His Eternal Debt/Grace

Anakin7

He was not very old was he? 

My condolences go out to his wife and family.

Once upon a time my wife and I were in the same ward as John. He was a quiet man who not condescending. He would sometimes choose to sit on the back row during gospel doctrine class and slip his shoes off and sit in his chair with his stocking feet resting on the floor.

On 6/13/2018 at 12:28 AM, Garden Girl said:

I'm so sorry to hear this... I have several of his writings... my favorite being a paper from 1999 on "Early Christian and Jewish Rituals Related to Temple Practices."  I actually send copies to people preparing to go to the temple...  Even though it addresses ancient practices, it's relevance to current temple worship is unmistakable...  We've lost a wonderful scholar...

GG

I was interested to see what he wrote on this topic, and found it on the net (where everything may be found these days, apparently): Early Christian and Jewish Rituals Related to Temple Practices

17 hours ago, RBoylan said:

I never met him in person, but his scholarship was influential in my own studies, and even while investigating the Church, John graciously took the time to answer questions I had about the Book of Mormon and other issues.

I wrote a blog post in his honour:

http://scripturalmormonism.blogspot.com/2018/06/john-tvedtnes-1941-2018.html

Nice!

Not to hijack the thread, but this "open theism" thing of yours might deserve a discussion.  Perhaps you can propose it in a topic in General Discussions and see where it goes?