Seriously No Politics ×

Sugar addictions prominent in Mormon culture

JAHS

3 minutes ago, Jeanne said:

I smile at this because I am not a coffee drinker...unless I am sick and can't taste anything...but I loved postum...all my life..do they still make it..and under mormon standards is that okay?  Because  my Dad got me hooked on postum!! 

It is caffeine free and I remember my parents drinking it. It was gone for a while when Kraft stopped making it but another company picked it up and it is available in some stores.

2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

It is caffeine free and I remember my parents drinking it. It was gone for a while when Kraft stopped making it but another company picked it up and it is available in some stores.

Thanks...I liked it better than chocolate milk!!

Thanks...wow..I will stop at Lee's this afternoon...funny that..I could not find it in Walmart all the 9 years I have worked for them.  I won't drink it a lot..but with honey on a sick day..it is my tadoo!!

Last night I got a craving for a malt shake, something about summer that does it to me. But who can eat a shake without the fries and cheeseburger and fry sauce? The combination is superb, but the consequences not so much. I swear I gained a couple of pounds in one sitting. 

I watched a netflix documentary that made me want to become a vegan, there is so much out there that makes my head spin. But there is definitely something to eating healthy, that I hope to do better one day.

• 7 months later...

There's a lot of misinformation out there about health issues. There's a LOT that could be said here to try to unravel what's going on but part of what is happening is that many of the plants that we use for food do not have the same nutritional density that they used to. This leaves our bodies constantly craving energy from some sort of source and with sugar so readily available so many of us tend to be loading up on sugar way too much. And in a way it's not really our fault because the food that should be giving us energy isn't (not saying self-control could never come into play). Then when our bodies don't get the nutrition they need and crave they start storing fat (dietary fat and fat on our bodies are NOT the same thing) because they presume we are living in famine conditions.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned sugar in all sorts of things now. Be sure to check labels. Your peanut butter doesn't need sugar. Pickles don't need sugar. Ketchup maybe a little bit, but usually it is using high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, and that's even worse.

10 hours ago, CMZ said:

There's a lot of misinformation out there about health issues. There's a LOT that could be said here to try to unravel what's going on but part of what is happening is that many of the plants that we use for food do not have the same nutritional density that they used to. This leaves our bodies constantly craving energy from some sort of source and with sugar so readily available so many of us tend to be loading up on sugar way too much. And in a way it's not really our fault because the food that should be giving us energy isn't (not saying self-control could never come into play). Then when our bodies don't get the nutrition they need and crave they start storing fat (dietary fat and fat on our bodies are NOT the same thing) because they presume we are living in famine conditions.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned sugar in all sorts of things now. Be sure to check labels. Your peanut butter doesn't need sugar. Pickles don't need sugar. Ketchup maybe a little bit, but usually it is using high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar, and that's even worse.

I dont know if i agree entirely. I know there’s been depletion, but i think there’s a few more parts that are equally if not more important. I think there’s a big problem with lack of diversity in our diets and the tendency to have it heavily processed (though I definitely agree with the sugar in practically everything). I eat a plant based largely whole foods diet: when my bro decided to start eating healthy i decided in solidarity to count calories and teach him about labels and such. Calorie counting for a person who cooks the majority of her food from scratch is a pain in the butt, btw. But what it taught me was that i naturally eat under the recommended calories. My food is energy dense, fiber rich, and diverse (especially come summer/fall). So i’m full with less and for longer periods.

I had a roommate with a very problematic american diet who for several months i took control of her food as she paid me to cook the meals basically. It’s the first time i really got to see the difference in action. She began learning the difference between physical fullness and satiated. She was flushed out from the excessive fiber for the first bit. And after, her digestive problems started to lessen or all together disappear. 

There’s a lot of ways that one can mitigate the problem you mentioned enough that we’d likely be more filled with less if our diets were simply more rich and whole

as for refined sugar, it’s so not my friend. My migraines get worse if i eat too much of it, so i’ve reduced the the stuff to very small/limited levels. Many things at church events are just too sweet (or really any event where desert is served 😛)

Edited by BlueDreams
5 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

... I had a roommate with a very problematic american diet who for several months i took control of her fiid as she paid me to cook the meals basically. ...

That's interesting.  Do you have a recipe for fiid?  I'd like to try it. ;) :D 

Sorry.  :D :rofl: :D 

Couldn't resist.  :huh: :unknw: 

Carry on! :D 

11 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

I dont know if i agree entirely. I know there’s been depletion, but i think there’s a few more parts that are equally if not more important. I think there’s a big problem with lack of diversity in our diets and the tendency to have it heavily processed (though I definitely agree with the sugar in practically everything). I eat a plant based largely whole foods diet: when my bro decided to start eating healthy i decided in solidarity to count calories and teach him about labels and such. Calorie counting for a person who cooks the majority of her food from scratch is a pain in the butt, btw. But what it taught me was that i naturally eat under the recommended calories. My food is energy dense, fiber rich, and diverse (especially come summer/fall). So i’m full with less and for longer periods.

I had a roommate with a very problematic american diet who for several months i took control of her food as she paid me to cook the meals basically. It’s the first time i really got to see the difference in action. She began learning the difference between physical fullness and satiated. She was flushed out from the excessive fiber for the first bit. And after, her digestive problems started to lessen or all together disappear. 

There’s a lot of ways that one can mitigate the problem you mentioned enough that we’d likely be more filled with less if our diets were simply more rich and whole

as for refined sugar, it’s so not my friend. My migraines get worse if i eat too much of it, so i’ve reduced the the stuff to very small/limited levels. Many things at church events are just too sweet (or really any event where desert is served 😛)

I said at the beginning of my post that there was a LOT that could be said on the topic and was really hoping that people would see that and know that I meant what I said and then with that understanding not attack me for leaving something out of one quick post. But it still happened anyways. 😕 But you kind of came around to the point I was making anyways: that food should be energy-dense. Yes, there are more points. I just can't cover all of it in this quick little post before I rush out the door to work.

2 hours ago, CMZ said:

I said at the beginning of my post that there was a LOT that could be said on the topic and was really hoping that people would see that and know that I meant what I said and then with that understanding not attack me for leaving something out of one quick post. But it still happened anyways. 😕 But you kind of came around to the point I was making anyways: that food should be energy-dense. Yes, there are more points. I just can't cover all of it in this quick little post before I rush out the door to work.

This was not an attacking point, just my perspective that the concern you brought up may be a little less concerning than you quickly portrayed. If by plants, you were meaning highly processed derivatives of plants, I completely agree. If it was simply a tomato, carrot,  apple, etc than I was stating it needed more nuance and wasn't as big of an effect as initially portrayed.

Edited by BlueDreams
10 hours ago, BlueDreams said:

If by plants, you were meaning highly processed derivatives of plants, I completely agree. If it was simply a tomato, carrot,  apple, etc than I was stating it needed more nuance and wasn't as big of an effect as initially portrayed.

Well, one of the books I'm reading has a lot of good data about how simple tomatoes, carrots, apples, etc., have less nutritional value overall than they used to. Here's a link to a Scientific American page on the topic:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/soil-depletion-and-nutrition-loss/

Next time you are in the grocery store , go to the sugar aisle and put 35 pounds of sugar in your cart. Stare at it for a bit. That is the amount of sugar an average US person consumes per year. Imagine taking a couple of tablespoons of straight sugar every day. Is it a wonder the US has an obesity and diabetes problem? 

15 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Next time you are in the grocery store , go to the sugar aisle and put 35 pounds of sugar in your cart. Stare at it for a bit. That is the amount of sugar an average US person consumes per year. Imagine taking a couple of tablespoons of straight sugar every day. Is it a wonder the US has an obesity and diabetes problem? 

I take it you aren't a fan of Pixie Stixs?

Available in Giant size:

https://www.amazon.com/GIANT-Pixie-Sticks-75-Pieces/dp/B00CYNMRLG

Edited by Calm
48 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

My favorite!!!

I used to enjoy the occasional stixs I would get for Halloween, but those giant ones turn my stomach at the thought.

Otoh, when having an anxiety attsck, I was known for cracking open a cherry or orange jello mix and downing a few mouthfuls.

Agave in a glass with lemon juice or hibiscus is my go to sugar these days.  Sugar itself seems to lack character.