Seriously No Politics ×

High Councilor releasing himself?

In my folks' ward today a High Councilour presented Stake Business which consisted only of releasing himself and then he asked for a vote of appreciation for his service. We had a stake presidency member in our ward and he never did any stake business. I don't know this high councilour at all but is that SOP to release yourself?

2 minutes ago, Duncan said:

In my folks' ward today a High Councilour presented Stake Business which consisted only of releasing himself and then he asked for a vote of appreciation for his service. We had a stake presidency member in our ward and he never did any stake business. I don't know this high councilour at all but is that SOP to release yourself?

Seems really awkward to me. If he was being released, why not send another high councilor to do it? I’ve never seen anything like this. 

5 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Never seen it happen, but it must have seemed odd asking for his own vote of thanks.

24 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Par for the course! ;)

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Uh, no.

HC are usually released in Stake Conferences IME, but since other stake business is done by high councilors throughout the year, I see no reason that would preclude that happening for the calling.  And if it is being done throughout the stake, it is possible that no one even considered that this high councilor who is regularly over that ward would be releasing himself, and if they did process that, may have decided that it didn't matter, because the high councilor needed to give a final talk there or have an opportunity to say goodbye.

6 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Based on your previous reports, I'm sincerely wondering if the stake presidency even know of this release...

I hope so! he was called less than a year ago, Mumsie said there was another HC present but for whatever reason didn't do the release

1 hour ago, rpn said:

HC are usually released in Stake Conferences IME, but since other stake business is done by high councilors throughout the year, I see no reason that would preclude that happening for the calling.  And if it is being done throughout the stake, it is possible that no one even considered that this high councilor who is regularly over that ward would be releasing himself, and if they did process that, may have decided that it didn't matter, because the high councilor needed to give a final talk there or have an opportunity to say goodbye.

Not in any stake I’ve belonged to. High councilors are released at any time at the pleasure of the stake president. And they don’t take it to the wards until after the high councilor has stopped functioning in the calling,  so no high councilor would be announcing his own release. What Duncan recounts seems really weird. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
15 hours ago, Duncan said:

You mean like I could have released myself as vt coordinator???  I do appreciate all the work I did.☺️

Edited by Jeanne

I have been on the HC now off and on probably for a total of 10 or 11 years in different increments between different callings.

On one side this is highly irregular, no question.

But on the other hand, the assignment to show up at a ward and do one sustaining or release is frankly pretty casually done.  It sometimes happens as "Hey- brother X- are you going to be near the ABC ward today?   Oh great- would you stop by and release bro JKL and sustain brother MNO as President of Whatever?" 

The fact that there were other stake leaders there make it fairly bizarre but I can see perhaps the Stake President telling the Councilor in question- "Oh- you gonna be in ABC ward?  I don't think anybody else will be there- go ahead and release yourself if you want to "!

The fact that others showed up there as well was probably unscheduled and I am sure that they squirmed in their seats as it happened but I see really no cause for alarm.

Definitely weird, definitely irregular, but I can see how it could happen quite accidentally.

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

So he basically said "I quit" and then asked other members to say "Thank you for the good you have done"?

I haven't seen that happen before but I've thought about quitting my Church "job" myself a time or two.  And I would have appreciated knowing that I have been appreciated for whatever good I did whenever I did it.

After I quit I might still do some "ministering" services, voluntarily, though, whenever I was in the mood to do some good, whenever.

21 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I don't see anything in the church handbooks that specifically addresses this, but as a general rule I have not seen someone release them self from a calling. 

I agree but technically it was not a "release" it could have been nothing more than an "announcement" that someone had already been released.

I am not defending it in any way- clearly it is out of line -but I can see how it could happen as a fairly innocent error.

Ultimately to me, it is much ado about nothing really.  Yes it could have been handled MUCH better, yet stuff happens.  :)

It deserves an eyebrow raise and a once sentence instruction at the next HC meeting and that's about it.

Edited by mfbukowski
2 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

I agree but technically it was not a "release" it was more an "announcement" that someone had already been released.

I am not defending it in any way- clearly it is out of line -but I can see how it could happen as a fairly innocent error.

Ultimately to me, it is much ado about nothing really.  Yes it could have been handled MUCH better, yet stuff happens.  :)

It deserves an eyebrow raise and a once sentence instruction at the next HC meeting and that's about it.

Speaking of stuff happening. When I was set apart to be a missionary my stake president was sick and could not do it so he assigned one of his counselors to do it.
After I got to the SLC mission home I was notified that I was not in fact set apart yet because a counselor to the stake president could not do it, so I went to the church office building and a GA Seventy set me apart.

1 hour ago, Ahab said:

So he basically said "I quit" and then asked other members to say "Thank you for the good you have done"?

I haven't seen that happen before but I've thought about quitting my Church "job" myself a time or two.  And I would have appreciated knowing that I have been appreciated for whatever good I did whenever I did it.

After I quit I might still do some "ministering" services, voluntarily, though, whenever I was in the mood to do some good, whenever.

well, I don't know if he quit or was released but he released himself and asked for a vote of thanks for himself. He doesn't drive, isn't legal here yet and doesn't speak english hardly-according to my folks and there was another HC there but for whatever reason he didn't release him-he too doesn't drive, doesn't speak english very well and isn't legal yet!

17 hours ago, Duncan said:

"May I release myself?"

image.png.f29f0ff8c6eda019ab05587e96094c3f.png

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

Speaking of stuff happening. When I was set apart to be a missionary my stake president was sick and could not do it so he assigned one of his counselors to do it.
After I got to the SLC mission home I was notified that I was not in fact set apart yet because a counselor to the stake president could not do it, so I went to the church office building and a GA Seventy set me apart.

LOL.   Yep- it happens!

We have no professional "clergy", and that is one of the reasons I love it so much. 

So now some anti will respond about GA's getting paid, right? ;)

Edited by mfbukowski
On 6/3/2018 at 10:55 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

I keep having a recurrent nightmare that some guy gives himself a full pardon, and then resigns.  😎

Did you happen to note, in that dream, what crime he had pardoned himself for?