Seriously No Politics ×

What a wonderful event!

49 minutes ago, Avatar4321 said:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-nelson-remarks-worldwide-priesthood-celebration

President Nelson had good comments as well.

I love that we can all be one in the Church. I love that our faith in Christ transcends political, cultueal, racial, or ethnic differences

“Dear brothers and sisters, we have been uplifted by the message of President Oaks and by wonderful musicians and dancers. We are especially grateful for Gladys Knight, the Be One Choir, Alex Boyé, and the Bonner family. These talented performers have inspired us all.”

Arranging for Black people to perform in front of the unapologetic White Church leaders as a celebration of the end of a racial ban is a symbolism that I find jarring.

7 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

“Dear brothers and sisters, we have been uplifted by the message of President Oaks and by wonderful musicians and dancers. We are especially grateful for Gladys Knight, the Be One Choir, Alex Boyé, and the Bonner family. These talented performers have inspired us all.”

Arranging for Black people to perform in front of the unapologetic White Church leaders as a celebration of the end of a racial ban is a symbolism that I find jarring.

Quite the opposite IMNSHO.  

I didn't watch the whole thing (I'll just politely say that it wasn't my style and much of it reminded me too much of the "Brand New Year" fiasco from 10 years ago), but I was impressed by the choice to have Gladys Knight sing "Somewhere" from West Side Story.  That was unexpectedly brave:

There's a place for us,
Somewhere a place for us.
Peace and quiet and open air
Wait for us
Somewhere.
There's a time for us,
Some day a time for us,
Time together with time to spare,
Time to look, time to care,
Some day!
Somewhere.
We'll find a new way of living,
We'll find a way of forgiving
Somewhere
There's a place for us,
A time and place for us.
Hold my hand and we're halfway there.
Hold my hand and I'll take you there
Somehow,
Some day,
Somewhere!

Edited by cinepro
8 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

Confirmation bias.

1 hour ago, Duncan said:

Next time I get asked if there are any misdeeds in my life in like a recommend situation i'll just say i'm looking forward not backward!

There's not really anything wrong with that, as long as you've repented of the backwardness! :D;) 

10 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

2 hours ago, Amulek said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that, had all of the performers and dancers been white, you would be making the same complaint.

There's just no pleasing some people.

I guarantee that his complaint would actually be all the more strident, divisive,  and contemptuous. 

I'm not a very radical person, but it does make me cringe a bit to see this celebration of the end of a bad policy that was put in place by leaders and completely unnecessary.  Although, maybe it is good to celebrate  a very belated end to a bad thing. I still feel ashamed at the whole situation.

39 minutes ago, jcake said:

I'm not a very radical person, but it does make me cringe a bit to see this celebration of the end of a bad policy that was put in place by leaders and completely unnecessary.  Although, maybe it is good to celebrate  a very belated end to a bad thing. I still feel ashamed at the whole situation.

President Oaks seems to still believe that the ban came from God as direction or a commandment.

"I studied the reasons then being given and could not feel confirmation of the truth of any of them. As part of my prayerful study, I learned that, in general, the Lord rarely gives reasons for the commandments and directions He gives to His servants. I determined to be loyal to our prophetic leaders and to pray"

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/latest/2018-06-01/president-oaks-full-remarks-from-the-lds-churchs-be-one-celebration-47280 

19 minutes ago, cacheman said:

President Oaks seems to still believe that the ban came from God as direction or a commandment.

"I studied the reasons then being given and could not feel confirmation of the truth of any of them. As part of my prayerful study, I learned that, in general, the Lord rarely gives reasons for the commandments and directions He gives to His servants. I determined to be loyal to our prophetic leaders and to pray"

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/latest/2018-06-01/president-oaks-full-remarks-from-the-lds-churchs-be-one-celebration-47280 

I don't think president Oaks "seems" to believe that the ban came from God. According to his words, he clearly believes it came from God.

He just doesn't know the reason...

Edited by amo
13 hours ago, rongo said:

I don't think the spoken thoughts or the event as a whole could have been better. Very impressed! 

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-oaks-remarks-worldwide-priesthood-celebration

And yes, I'm glad that there wasn't any apology. I think President Oaks' strong emphasis on looking forward, and not navel-gazing about the past, is the best course for all of us to follow. 

I did not see the event live; I had school choir pops concert to attend. But I have read the account in the LDS Church News this morning and look forward to seeing the replay at my leisure on the Church website. 

It appears to have been a great outpouring of joy, as were previous landmark anniversary observances  of the 1978 revelation. I clearly remember where I was and what I was doing in that day. I rejoiced then and still do that the Almighty continues to speak to His people. 

I have long admired Gladys Knight’s musical artistry before and after her conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ. And, offhand, I can’t think of another Rock and Roll Hall of Famer among our people. 

3 hours ago, cinepro said:

I didn't watch the whole thing (I'll just politely say that it wasn't my style and much of it reminded me too much of the "Brand New Year" fiasco from 10 years ago), but I was impressed by the choice to have Gladys Knight sing "Somewhere" from West Side Story.  That was unexpectedly brave:

This is not the first time Gladys Knight has participated in a Church observance of an anniversary of the revelation. And she was involved in a birthday gala for President Hinckley And has been the featured artist at a Tabernacle Choir concert. So I don’t know how “brave” it was, but it was wonderful to include her. 

3 hours ago, cacheman said:

I don't take that from what he said.   I take that Oaks believes that when he cannot get confirmation of any of the reasons, that still means he's going to accept what the prophet is doing.

I don't believe that the ban came from God, but I'd be willing to bet that BY believed he was doing what he had to do to preserve the Church in the way he thought it should be preserved, and that God was okay with it.    The description of the receipt of the revelation in 1978 says they all had confirmation in ways that were far stronger and clearer than any previous inspiration the FP and 12 had ever had.    I kind of think that God decided He had to really knock them upside the head because they had never gotten it before (if historians are correct, there remained within the 12 in 1978 those who believed that blacks should not hold the priesthood, and for all those demeaning reasons the church now has specifically disavowed ---- whose acquiescence to the change was required).

Edited by rpn
3 hours ago, cacheman said:

Disappointing. The church continues to labor under this unrepented sin.

Edited by Gray
4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

This is not the first time Gladys Knight has participated in a Church observance of an anniversary of the revelation. And she was involved in a birthday gala for President Hinckley And has been the featured artist at a Tabernacle Choir concert. So I don’t know how “brave” it was, but it was wonderful to include her. 

The song choice was brave, not the choice to have Gladys Knight perform.  The context of the song is a longing for future acceptance, and not knowing where the "place for us" is.  It's a statement of faith that such a place exists somewhere. 

But it's not here, and not yet.

Edited by cinepro
17 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

For sure, the Celebration of the ban end should have definitely had an all white lineup. Great point.

42 minutes ago, cinepro said:

The song choice was brave, not the choice to have Gladys Knight perform.  The context of the song is a longing for future acceptance, and not knowing where the "place for us" is.  It's a statement of faith that such a place exists somewhere. 

You (and Bernstein and Sondheim) are right that the "time" and "place" for "us" is not here and not yet, but not for the reason you suggest.  In a larger sense, we are all "strangers in a strange land": We're not essentially mortal beings sent here to have occasional spiritual experiences; we're essentially spiritual beings who have been sent here to have a mortal experience.  In that sense, we are all longing for a future "someday" and a Celestial "somewhere" where we will be able to lay aside the cares, the troubles, and the evils of this world and enter a Better One.

Edited by Kenngo1969
37 minutes ago, cinepro said:

How do you know the song choice was not an allusion to the faithful and devoted saints who patiently waited on the Lord until, in His wisdom, the time was right? By that reckoning, the place is here and now.