Seriously No Politics ×

We can each have our own testimonies

3 hours ago, CMZ said:

We can each have our own testimonies. A testimony does not come by pestering the "TBM's" into producing sufficient overwhelming intellectual evidence of the truthfulness of the Church.

Amen.  Brother Brigham often made the same point.  Jesus points out the crucial difference to his disciples:

Matthew 16:15-17 "He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?  And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven."

So why are the evangelicals so contemptuous of those whose testimonies depend upon the witness of the Holy Spirit?

11 hours ago, CMZ said:

We can each have our own testimonies. A testimony does not come by pestering the "TBM's" into producing sufficient overwhelming intellectual evidence of the truthfulness of the Church.

Testimonies come by regular repitition of what you want to believe until you come to believe it.

Edited by Marginal Gains
27 minutes ago, Marginal Gains said:

Testimonies come by regular repitition of what you want to believe until you come to believe it.

Not for everyone. There was a time when I did not want to believe, that I fervently wished that this life was/is all that there is. I received a course correction.

Glenn

8 hours ago, Glenn101 said:

Not for everyone. There was a time when I did not want to believe, that I fervently wished that this life was/is all that there is. I received a course correction.

Glenn

In what way do you live your life differently by believing in an afterlife that you wouldn’t do if this life was all there was?

36 minutes ago, Marginal Gains said:

In what way do you live your life differently by believing in an afterlife that you wouldn’t do if this life was all there was?

This is hard for me to say. I haven't ever not believed in an afterlife.

Would you say that you live your life differently now than when you believed in an afterlife?

This probably differs from person to person. Perhaps some wouldn't live any differently, but I suspect that most would do at least some things differently. 

2 minutes ago, rongo said:

This is hard for me to say. I haven't ever not believed in an afterlife.

Would you say that you live your life differently now than when you believed in an afterlife?

This probably differs from person to person. Perhaps some wouldn't live any differently, but I suspect that most would do at least some things differently. 

The question was for Glenn 101

1 hour ago, Marginal Gains said:

I am still alive. If not for that hope I would not be. As far as the way I live my life, there are maybe some things I would do that I do not. I would treat others pretty much the same way in either case because that is just the way I want to be.

Glenn

Edited by Glenn101
edited to add a thought.
9 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

I wouldn’t refer to Elder Packer as “some people”.

You're funny. What I was referring to was that we already knew that some people felt that "testimonies come by regular repitition of what you want to believe until you come to believe it." Meaning, I don't think anyone here is surprised that there are other people who think testimonies only come by repetition of what they want to believe. As members of the Church we are used to people ridiculing us and wrongly supposing that we have never scrutinized our testimonies. We know full well that others think our beliefs are ridiculous. So when someone comes along and says, "Your beliefs are ridiculous! I bet you just repeated to yourself what you 'wanted' to believe until you finally believed it," then we go, "Yeah, it comes with the territory that we'd get reactions like that. Nothing surprising here."

18 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

And this is why you are where you are.

I didn't even know what a Mormon was when I got my testimony.  I read the book and God told me I was home.

No repitition

Obviously someone beat this into your head and you think it was the same for everyone.   I am sorry you have had that experience- it killed something inside you. But you can get it back.  He is still here for you.

I know this was not addressed to me but for the record I would not do one thing differently, and I lived as I now live as an atheist as well

I seek the best possible life style to become an ideal human as nearly as I can WITH belief in an afterlife or without it.

I can't imagine how childish one would have to be to live differently because one gets candy after you die one way and have a rotten life here.

Who would do that intentionally as a reasonable choice?

Anyway I am done with you, I just keep forgetting you are so good at being annoying and you baiting me to get angry.  You are a master at baiting I must say.

I am willing to get up at 5 am on Sunday to get to my morning meetings on time. That is about it.

19 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

Sounds a bit like Professor Harold Hill's "think method," or maybe an upside down and backward version of Alma 32. Unless of course you are being pointedly sarcastic.  😎

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

And this is why you are where you are.

I didn't even know what a Mormon was when I got my testimony.  I read the book and God told me I was home.

No repitition

Obviously someone beat this into your head and you think it was the same for everyone.   I am sorry you have had that experience- it killed something inside you. But you can get it back.  He is still here for you.

As I said, I was referring to Elder Packers view on how to gain a testimony.

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Sounds a bit like Professor Harold Hill's "think method," or maybe an upside down and backward version of Alma 32. Unless of course you are being pointedly sarcastic.  😎

Nope, I’m simply reiterating what Elder Packer described as the way to find ones testimony.

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

I know this was not addressed to me but for the record I would not do one thing differently, and I lived as I now live as an atheist as well

I seek the best possible life style to become an ideal human as nearly as I can WITH belief in an afterlife or without it.

I can't imagine how childish one would have to be to live differently because one gets candy after you die one way and have a rotten life here.

Who would do that intentionally as a reasonable choice?

Anyway I am done with you, I just keep forgetting you are so good at being annoying and you baiting me to get angry.  You are a master at baiting I must say.

You’re angry?

3 hours ago, CMZ said:

You're funny. What I was referring to was that we already knew that some people felt that "testimonies come by regular repitition of what you want to believe until you come to believe it." Meaning, I don't think anyone here is surprised that there are other people who think testimonies only come by repetition of what they want to believe. As members of the Church we are used to people ridiculing us and wrongly supposing that we have never scrutinized our testimonies. We know full well that others think our beliefs are ridiculous. So when someone comes along and says, "Your beliefs are ridiculous! I bet you just repeated to yourself what you 'wanted' to believe until you finally believed it," then we go, "Yeah, it comes with the territory that we'd get reactions like that. Nothing surprising here."

Elder Packer suggests your testimony is found by bearing it, before you believe it. Was he wrong?

Edited by Marginal Gains
Just now, SouthernMo said:

Another thought: can I have my own testimony that differs from the correlated teachings of the church?

Or, is that not a real testimony?  Does testimony only refer to truths that have already been revealed to prophets?

Your personal testimony can be anything you sincerely consider it to be.  It has nothing to do with Correlation, or previous statements of the prophets.  It is unique to you, and hopefully comes via the Holy Spirit.

8 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

Elder Packer suggests your testimony is found by bearing it, before you believe it. Was he wrong?

Oh, yes. I know what you are talking about. That is one aspect of it. Of course he also spoke about the witness of the Spirit many times.