Seriously No Politics ×

37 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

At the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle this morning, the Most Rev Michael Curry (American Black Episcopal Bishop) preached a powerful sermon on love.  Definitely worth watching in its entirety:  https://www.today.com/video/royal-wedding-see-rev-michael-curry-s-full-sermon-1237513283662 .

Since I'm living in the UK now, and my lovely British wife was all excited to watch the wedding, we saw and heard this excellent sermon live.  The wedding was quite entertaining and pleasing, in many ways.  Left to myself I would have tuned into highlights after the event, but watching the whole thing was great fun.  I really liked the cello player's performance, too:

sheku_kanneh_mason_cello_player_royal_we

3 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

At the royal wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle this morning, the Most Rev Michael Curry (American Black Episcopal Bishop) preached a powerful sermon on love.  Definitely worth watching in its entirety:  https://www.today.com/video/royal-wedding-see-rev-michael-curry-s-full-sermon-1237513283662 .

I couldn't sleep and started watching the royal wedding live around 4:30 a.m. I was so touched with his sermon and the others as well. Very touching, thanks for the link!!

3 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Since I'm living in the UK now, and my lovely British wife was all excited to watch the wedding, we saw and heard this excellent sermon live.  The wedding was quite entertaining and pleasing, in many ways.  Left to myself I would have tuned into highlights after the event, but watching the whole thing was great fun.  I really liked the cello player's performance, too:

sheku_kanneh_mason_cello_player_royal_we

Me too! And the orchestra, they were very animated and made it so interesting. It was a beautiful ceremony, and not snobbish or stuffy. It was real, and a lot about the earth being a family as a whole, with love being the objective to achieve that will spill down to conquer the ill's in our society.

On 5/19/2018 at 7:02 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

I heard this sermon...it was goosebumps on the inside.

On 5/19/2018 at 9:28 AM, Exiled said:

I really think we need to get rid of the monarchy once and for all.  Society will survive just fine without them.

If you were familiar with the  prophecies  of Jacob, you would know that will never happen.

Edited by rodheadlee
On 5/19/2018 at 5:28 PM, Exiled said:

I really think we need to get rid of the monarchy once and for all.  Society will survive just fine without them.

Ultimately, any monarch, whether of recent or ancient bloodline, is the product of one man's imposition of his will over that of others -- a bandit writ large.  

But despite its origin (William the Conqueror took England by force, nearly a thousand years ago), the monarchy of the United Kingdom has developed into a rather entertaining and mostly effective democratic polity.  The monarch exists as a figurehead (and although real power is behind the throne, the monarch dares not exercise it), and symbolically holds the country together. So far, at least.

I am now living in the UK and have a chance to observe from close up!  I love it!

The monarchy actually has a positive economic impact upon the country, despite what some people say.  It is explained rather interestingly on the CGP Grey YouTube channel, in the video referenced below.  Mr. Grey is actually an American living in the UK, originally as a physics teacher in a British school.  But now he lives off his YouTube income.

19 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Ultimately, any monarch, whether of recent or ancient bloodline, is the product of one man's imposition of his will over that of others -- a bandit writ large.  

But despite its origin (William the Conqueror took England by force, nearly a thousand years ago), the monarchy of the United Kingdom has developed into a rather entertaining and mostly effective democratic polity.  The monarch exists as a figurehead (and although real power is behind the throne, the monarch dares not exercise it), and symbolically holds the country together. So far, at least.

I am now living in the UK and have a chance to observe from close up!  I love it!

The monarchy actually has a positive economic impact upon the country, despite what some people say.  It is explained rather interestingly on the CGP Grey YouTube channel, in the video referenced below.  Mr. Grey is actually an American living in the UK, originally as a physics teacher in a British school.  But now he lives off his YouTube income.

I wonder how much economic power the monarchy still has worldwide. We don't really know, do we? How much of their wealth is in off shore entities, etc?

On 5/19/2018 at 10:28 AM, Exiled said:

Among other things, they are great entertainment.  Plus they have a lot of cool uniforms and hats.

On 5/22/2018 at 8:38 PM, Exiled said:

I wonder how much economic power the monarchy still has worldwide. We don't really know, do we? How much of their wealth is in off shore entities, etc?

Queen Liz has been fairly open about the royal family's wealth.  For example, although the monarch is not required to pay income taxes, she does.  

Here is an interesting article telling about the relative wealthiness of the royal family (note that it is 6 years old):

http://www.ibtimes.com/how-rich-are-british-royal-family-figures-released-after-diamond-jubilee-weekend-701841