Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Duncan

1st Pres. and NAACP

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

But rongo, isn't that stealing? 🤥

On my phone it looks like I can read as many articles as I want.  Is that true?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

While you were at it you should have spelled John Lennon's name correctly -- unless you meant it to be a subtle allusion to alleged communist sympathies on Lennon's part.

You are are just an absolute mind reader Scott...

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

 

Glad to know I'm not alone in the world, although I never thought he was singing about rocket man eating his provolone cheese ;) 

Now I can die in peace with this need to know lyric marked off my bucket list...funny how you can go your whole life singing a song which you have no idea what the words really are... I thought it must have been something about his burning/out his rocket/s

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, bluebell said:

On my phone it looks like I can read as many articles as I want.  Is that true?

Have you reached the 10-per-month limit yet?

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, clarkgoble said:

Reality is that the economics before smart phones and tablets are never coming back. When online selling by sites like Craigs List or eBay killed the classifieds the writing was on the wall. Particularly in a relatively small market like Utah. You have two state papers, several major city/county papers that also cover state/national news, and then four main television news stations. That's way too much supply for the demand. Further the people that continued to pay for newspapers are dying off. If the Trib is still around in ten years I'd be shocked. Ditto for the Ogden and Provo papers. Heck, I'd be surprised if they were still in business in four years. 

I heard a business professor on the radio yesterday saying it's the industry's own fault for letting people get addicted to having the content for free. It's way too late to make a change now. The train has left the station.

It never was free in the old days of print journalism. There were paid subscriptions even with advertising paying for most of the operational cost.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, smac97 said:

Perhaps something about the LDS Church seeking to foster better relations with the African-American community.

-Smac

I don't know...the last organization that just put out a joint statement with the church - it didn't turn out to be so good for that relationship...:unsure:

 

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I heard a business professor on the radio yesterday saying it's the industry's own fault for letting people get addicted to having the content for free. It's way too late to make a change now. The train has left the station.

It never was free in the old days of print journalism. There were paid subscriptions even with advertising paying for most of the operational cost.

That's part of it. But even if you had people pay for it, the real cash cow was the classifieds with the print advertising running a distant second. Subscriptions were an even more distant third, from what I understand. Craig's List and eBay largely killed classifieds. That revenue stream is never coming back. People all read online and online advertising is many times less than what print advertising was before everyone read the internet. Reality is that even if everyone paid for a subscription on par with old rates it would be uneconomical typically.

Look at the paywalls that are doing well. They're large national newspapers: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post. Even they in many ways are shadows of themselves. You simply don't have the good international coverage you once had because it's too expensive to send reporters everywhere. This in turn allows newspapers to unduly listen to propaganda or get superficial coverage. (There are some exceptions like The Economist, which I subscribe to - but it's weekly and is also an international magazine)

Reality is that only a few sites can do paywalls. It's national news that most people care about. A choice between the New York Times or the Salt Lake Tribune is an easy choice for those so inclined to pay. Especially when others, like TV stations, are supplying the level of local news people mostly care about. That's not to deny that media stupidity in the early days of popular internet isn't hurting them now. You have more and more sites competing for less and less valuable advertising. Further many sites will quote long sections of a paper's story and then add commentary but serve it for free. While this annoys papers and some might engage legal action in particularly egregious cases, the reality is it's hard to stop. There's just oversupply of the news most people want.

Edited by clarkgoble

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

For those of us shut out by the pay wall, can you give us the gist of this?

 

This was also in the article:

Quote

On June 2, a group of black Mormon scholars is hosting a daylong conference at 1535 E. Creek Road in Sandy. Titled “The Legacy of Black LDS Pioneers: Building Zion,” it will run from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and focus on “the struggles, triumphs and overall legacy of black pioneers in the LDS Church.”

Sounds interesting!  I would love to attend...maybe I will.  It is right down the street after all. 

Here is a link for those interested:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1956779711301330/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

For those of us shut out by the pay wall, can you give us the gist of this?

 

I Posted the info in Be One Celebrations thread

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Calm said:

I Posted the info in Be One Celebrations thread

Perhaps it would have been better for rongo to have linked to the Deseret News account that you did, with its non-paywall-hindered accessibility.

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Have you reached the 10-per-month limit yet?

 

I'm not sure.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I'm not sure.

You get 10 freebies a month, then you run smack into the paywall.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rongo said:

Peggy Fletcher-Stack, “Top Mormon leaders to meet with NAACP’s national officers,” SLTribune, May 14, 2018, online at https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/05/14/top-mormon-leaders-to-meet-with-naacps-national-officers/ .

This is great, and I look forward to the celebration June 1 (Gladys Knight is always wonderful), and to the conference on June 2 in Sandy.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, The Nehor said:

To paraphrase Elton John:

”You may say I’m a dreamer and in fact the only one....”

Thought that was John Lennon? :db:

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

You get 10 freebies a month, then you run smack into the paywall.

 

Dump your cookies and start over.

Share this post


Link to post

If it is a joint statement, then I would suspect that it is something positive.  I look forward to hearing what it might be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Peggy Fletcher-Stack, “Top Mormon leaders to meet with NAACP’s national officers,” SLTribune, May 14, 2018, online at https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/05/14/top-mormon-leaders-to-meet-with-naacps-national-officers/ .

This is great, and I look forward to the celebration June 1 (Gladys Knight is always wonderful), and to the conference on June 2 in Sandy.

It was a great day when Gladys Knight joined the Church, having followed in the footsteps of two of her children. Since then, in her own unique way, she has made a marked contribution in building up the kingdom of God on earth.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It was a great day when Gladys Knight joined the Church, having followed in the footsteps of two of her children. Since then, in her own unique way, she has made a marked contribution in building up the kingdom of God on earth.

And she puts on great shows at BYU every now and then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

“We apologise for the Priesthood Ban. We’re sorry Leaders allowed cultural racism to influence Church policies and practices for 100 years. It was wrong. We exhort members to accept that the ban was not doctrinal and do all they can to ensure racism in any form does not have a place in our wards, families or hearts.”

 

What are the odds?

Edited by Marginal Gains
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

So something super weird is happening now, on the live feed, someone turned the audio on and you can hear this rehearsal and the read through of the statement or a statement anyways and people walking in "hey Pres. Oaks!" "Elder Andersen, good morning" and some lady is talking about photography and I think you can hear something about salvaging. I posted, as did others, on youtube, um, you know we can hear this right? HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA!!!! "Good morning this is Travis"

 

Edited by Duncan

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

“We apologise for the Priesthood Ban. We’re sorry Leaders allowed cultural racism to influence Church policies and practices for 100 years. It was wrong. We exhort members to accept that the ban was not doctrinal and do all they can to ensure racism in any form does not have a place in our wards, families or hearts.”

 

What are the odds?

Slightly better than the odds our doing so would satisfy our many critics.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe they'll have a special appearance by Weird Al singing "White and Nerdy", that would be a gig to remember!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

“We apologise for the Priesthood Ban. We’re sorry Leaders allowed cultural racism to influence Church policies and practices for 100 years. It was wrong. We exhort members to accept that the ban was not doctrinal and do all they can to ensure racism in any form does not have a place in our wards, families or hearts.”

 

What are the odds?

 

5 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Slightly better than the odds our doing so would satisfy our many critics.

If they come out with that apology, they’ll be at least one critic who will change his tune on the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Marginal Gains said:

 

If they come out with that apology, they’ll be at least one critic who will change his tune on the subject.

I expect in general the changed tune would include a refrain of pointing out how it took so much longer than said critic expected and how that was a disgrace and an embarrassment.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

I expect in general the changed tune would include a refrain of pointing out how it took so much longer than said critic expected and how that was a disgrace and an embarrassment.

I promise not to do that, if they give the unequivocal apology I suggest. They can use my exact words if they like and I won’t claim copyright infringement.

Edited by Marginal Gains

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...