Seriously No Politics ×

1st Pres. and NAACP

33 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I just saw on FB that there is a "message" from the NAACP and the First Presidency being broadcast tomorrow, does anybody know what this is about?

The Utah NAACP is hosting the national meeting. The leaders of the NAACP will be meeting with the FP and then make a joint statement together.

20 minutes ago, Gray said:

I have high hopes! Looking forward to seeing what they have to say.

I as well, praying and hoping for the best.  

20 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

And there is one wayyyyyy out in left field. it is going, going, going, going... will it ever turn?

Apparently only when it gets to Mars.

To paraphrase Elton John:

”You may say I’m a dreamer and in fact the only one....”

4 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

That is the other John... John Lenin. I think you meant "Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone."

I will admit only to you Nehor, that I never knew what the freak he was singing here until looking up these lyrics just now....Now I know he was singing about going to Mars...

5 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

That is the other John... John Lenin. I think you meant "Rocket man burning out his fuse up here alone."

I will admit only to you Nehor, that I never knew what the freak he was singing here until looking up these lyrics just now....Now I know he was singing about going to Mars...

While you were at it you should have spelled John Lennon's name correctly -- unless you meant it to be a subtle allusion to alleged communist sympathies on Lennon's part.

12 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

10 minutes ago, RevTestament said:

Now I am reminded of this weird post apocalyptic game I played in my teens. It was an authoritarian police state where the computer in charge demanded everyone work for it and it would distribute goods by need. The computer hated communism though. There was a faction of secret communists who mostly sang John Lenin songs with a bad Soviet accent. They didn’t really “get” communism.

25 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

You not only got the lyricist wrong, you screwed up the lyrics.

You may say I'm a dreamer,

But I'm not the only one.

2 hours ago, rongo said:

I don't recognize their right to put up content behind a pay wall. :) They already bombard me with ads all the time.

The ads don't bring in enough to pay the overhead. Hence, they had to lay off 38 percent of their newsroom staff this week.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
3 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The ads don't bring in enough to pay the overhead. Hence, they had to lay of 38 percent of their newsroom staff this week.

Reality is that the economics before smart phones and tablets are never coming back. When online selling by sites like Craigs List or eBay killed the classifieds the writing was on the wall. Particularly in a relatively small market like Utah. You have two state papers, several major city/county papers that also cover state/national news, and then four main television news stations. That's way too much supply for the demand. Further the people that continued to pay for newspapers are dying off. If the Trib is still around in ten years I'd be shocked. Ditto for the Ogden and Provo papers. Heck, I'd be surprised if they were still in business in four years.