Seriously No Politics ×

Moroni told Joseph Smith he is from the Pleadies?

So, I've been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all my life, and I thought I'd pretty much heard it all, but I've never heard THIS one before.......where did they get the idea that Moroni told Joseph Smith he was from the Pleadies? Or did I just miss that morning of seminary lol

18 minutes ago, Sophie said:

So, I've been a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints all my life, and I thought I'd pretty much heard it all, but I've never heard THIS one before.......where did they get the idea that Moroni told Joseph Smith he was from the Pleadies? Or did I just miss that morning of seminary lol

Who are "they"?

Apparently some guy named Logan Hawkes came up with the claim since no one can find anyone else making the claim.

https://www.sunstonemagazine.com/my-favorite-martian/

The show explains that “according to Ancient Astronaut theorists, Moroni may in fact have been a star being, an extraterrestrial whose mission was to pass down to Smith and his followers the advanced knowledge of the Mound Builders.”

The show includes clips from an interview with Logan Hawkes, author of Close Encounters of the Old West, who states that “Moronee [sic] claimed to be from the Pleiades star cluster.”

The theory he mixed up Jehovah Witnesses with Mormons and came up with this makes the most sense to me...whether it was intentional or bizarre memory reconstruction, don't know.

Sadly it appears to have been included in a history text for Austin Community College:

https://www.coursehero.com/file/p6smeng/o-Moroni-told-Smith-hed-lived-in-the-Americas-in-the-4th-5th-century-AD-but-was/

It also states that JS was dragged out of the window of Carthage jail or was hit in the head with a rock and fell out.

Love to know who the teacher is.

Edited by Calm
17 hours ago, Sophie said:

I found this doing a search online:

I think I have a hypothesis about the Mormon-Pleiades connection. According to their scriptures, Moroni is hails from Kolob, which is a star or planet closest to God. God's seat, in the Mormon cosmology, is at the center of the universe, which locates Kolob, as the place closest to God, near the center of the universe.

Now the Pleiades were thought by some 19th century astronomers to be the geometrical center of the universe. This idea was embraced by the early Jehovah's Witnesses, apparently leading them to place their God there as well. At least one Mormon text, "The Book of Abraham", seems to associate Kolob with the Pleiades.

Does anyone know what they mean regarding The Book of Abraham associating Kolob with the Pleiades?

14 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Since Moroni originates as an ancient Jaredite name, we might etymologize it as taken from Akkadian mariannu “chariot driver,” Ugaritic mryn “noble chariot warrior; retainers, vassals” (mar-ia-ni, mariyannu).  If so, we could then equate him astrologically with Sumerian ŠU.GI, Akkadian šibu, the Old Man (Perseus), the Charioteer.  But the Pleiades just don't fit that equation.

Interesting factoid, that!

Has kind of a Tocharian and Mauryan overtone to it. 

1 hour ago, Lagrange said:

Interesting factoid, that!

Has kind of a Tocharian and Mauryan overtone to it. 

Yes, but earlier still, back to Hittite and Mitannian times, but Indo-European in ultimate origin just the same.

I actually prefer an etymology same as the Akkadian proper name Mu-ra-ni “My-Cub” (from Akkadian mūrānu, mīrānu, merānu “cub; pup” = Sumerian UR.TUR.[RA] = kalbu; it was also used in PNs such as Mu-ra-nu-dGu-la “Young-Dog-of-Gula”; Uqâ-mu-ra-ni “I-Waited-for-My-Puppy”; DUMU mMu-ra-ni; Me-ra-ni;  and fMu-ra-na-tum (NB).[1]  In that case, Moronihah would mean “Son-of-YHWH, Pup-of-YHWH,” as if biblical Hebrew *mōrônîyahû -- with theophoric YHH (= YAHU) which is found on Elephantine ostraca and papyri, e.g., Documents 1:2 and 13:14,[2] and is considered by Koehler & Baumgartner to be equivalent to YHWH.[3] 

[1] Chicago Assyrian Dictionary “M” II:106.  Cf. Book of Mormon Morianton, Moriantum.

[2] A. Cowley, Aramaic Papyri of the Fifth Century B.C. (1923); J. R. Harris, ed., The Legacy of Egypt, 2nd ed., 261 n. 1; Porten, Archives, 235.

[3] Koehler & Baumgartner, HALOT, II:395, list YHH along with other non-biblical instances of YHWH.  D. N. Freedman says that -yahu is pre-exilic, while -yah is post-exilic (cited in A. Berlin, Zephaniah, 67).

• 10 months later...
14 hours ago, Spiritualgifts said:

Where is Pleiades in conjunction to Kolob?

God knows.

Literally.

🙂 

Oh, all right.  You're new here, so you might not get it.

We have no idea where Kolob is.  It is named in the Book of Abraham, but that's all.  For all we know it isn't even in this galaxy.  It's somewhere.  But its Right Ascension and Declination (stellar coordinates) have not been stated.

Edited by Stargazer
44 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

The phrase “according to ancient astronaut theorists” should be heard as “according to tinfoil hat wearing nutjobs”.

How dare you disrespect Erich von Däniken like that!!!!  😡

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

How dare you disrespect Erich von Däniken like that!!!!  😡

Sorry, my bad. I left out “mentally subnormal” and “makes Norse and Babylonian creation myths look academically rigorous by comparison”. Sorry, I will try not make similar errors in the future.

5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

God knows.

Literally.

🙂 

We have no idea where Kolob is.  It is named in the Book of Abraham, but that's all.  For all we know it isn't even in this galaxy.  It's somewhere.  But its Right Ascension and Declination (stellar coordinates) have not been stated.

• 2 weeks later...

How about this Therory.  Maybe each race is from different planets, maybe it's not just one Planet.   Jesus appeared all over the world to people.  They all have their own way to get to the same place.   Perhaps we are all supposed learn from each other.

On the Topic of Galaxies, the milky way has a black hole but I've read that once you go through the black hole your stuck.  Scholars just discovered another black hole over 50 million light years away.  This black hole is said to be larger than the milky way galaxy.  

4 hours ago, Spiritualgifts said:

Maybe each race is from different planets

Are you talking about the races of humanity?

There is no evidence or reason I can think of to assume we originated from different places.

Edited by Calm
On 3/26/2019 at 11:23 AM, Stargazer said:

God knows.

Literally.

🙂 

I just got this feeling it is in Facsimile #2. :) 

On 4/10/2019 at 9:52 PM, RevTestament said:

I just got this feeling it is in Facsimile #2. :) 

Well, if it is, I don't see it.  Do you think there is some kind of coordinates in the image?  If so, why would such be put there?  

facsimile2.png

• 5 months later...

Getting "stuck in a black hole."  Let that one slip by eh? You guys are really funny! And your poking fun at Van Danniken and the Ancient Astronaut theorists. Are you stating that you are better than them because of your late made-up religeon? You guys know it all - I doubt it!

On 4/11/2019 at 5:24 PM, Stargazer said:

Well, if it is, I don't see it.  Do you think there is some kind of coordinates in the image?  If so, why would such be put there?  

facsimile2.png

According to Abraham 3 the middle of the diagram (item 1) is Kolob (which could be the super massive black hole in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy).

2 hours ago, longview said:

According to Abraham 3 the middle of the diagram (item 1) is Kolob (which could be the super massive black hole in the center of the Milky Way Galaxy).

Kolob needn't be in our galaxy at all.

On 10/5/2019 at 4:43 AM, AnchAstro said:

Getting "stuck in a black hole."  Let that one slip by eh? You guys are really funny! And your poking fun at Van Danniken and the Ancient Astronaut theorists. Are you stating that you are better than them because of your late made-up religeon? You guys know it all - I doubt it!

Yes, I think we are better but it is a pretty low bar.