Sign in to follow this  
nuclearfuels

Temple in Russia

Was chatting at Scouts last night - RIP and good riddance BSA - with an expert on Russia.

Asked him 'bout the announced Temple in Russia; he thinks St. Petersburg; I don't know as I dont' study that country much,,,

He said it could be 10+ years away like when Kiev Temple was announced

Curious as to if Church HQ's legal team advised President Nelson or Bishop Davies to not announce the Russia Temple until a location had been selected and approved.  

Laughed at the response to the lawyers: Thank you for your advice.  This meeting is over.

-

Curious as to what steps are in place before a Temple is announced (site acquisition, govt permitting approval, etc.)?

Also I'd like to attend the dedication but not sure who would sponsor my Visa as a US passport won't get you in Russia, especially not after their recent laws regarding foreigners proselytizing? 

As I say they may have done 10 years of work already and are now at a point of just announcing it but won't say where or when but Russia seems so unstable

While the temple could honestly be anywhere, I’d think it’d be less likely due to the proximity of the Helsinki Finland Temple (5.5-6 hours away).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

As I say they may have done 10 years of work already and are now at a point of just announcing it but won't say where or when but Russia seems so unstable

3 hours ago, Judd said:

While the temple could honestly be anywhere, I’d think it’d be less likely due to the proximity of the Helsinki Finland Temple (5.5-6 hours away).

I agree.

Nizhny or Novosibirsk so Mongolia could have a Temple also?

17 hours ago, Duncan said:

Actually Russia is a very stable country.  Dictatorship can be a very stable form of govt.  And Putin has things well in hand (he just began another 6-year term in office).  If he wants to allow an LDS temple, it will get built without problem.  Who is going to  oppose him?  From his days as a KGB Colonel in East Germany, he well knows that the Mormons are not a problem (he was there when the East Germans allowed the LDS to build a temple).

Edited by Robert F. Smith
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

-

Curious as to what steps are in place before a Temple is announced (site acquisition, govt permitting approval, etc.)?

You would think the current 187 year (and counting) wait between the dedication and building of the Independence Temple would be a cautionary tale about making the announcement too soon, but I guess not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Actually Russia is a very stable country.  Dictatorship can be a very stable form of govt.  And Putin has things well in hand (he just began another 6-year term in office).  If he wants to allow an LDS temple, it will get built without problem.  Who is going to  oppose him?  From his days as a KGB Colonel in East Germany, he well knows that the Mormons are not a problem (he was there when the East Germans allowed the LDS to build a temple).

hmmmm, for the Church's sake I hope this is the case. I've heard otherwise but I guess time will tell!

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/elder-uchtdorf-discusses-future-russia-temple

Elder Uchtdorf and his wife, Harriet, participated in a special conference of the Moscow Russia Stake on April 22, 2018. The meeting was attended by about 700 Latter-day Saints, including Church leaders in the region.

First Temple in Russia

After the conference, Elder Uchtdorf and Elder Alexey V. Samaykin, an Area Seventy, were interviewed by historian, publicist, well-known journalist and editor in chief of the academic journal Science and Religion, Sergey Georgievich Antonenko.

“This announcement is a historic one and it’s a beautiful one,” said Elder Uchtdorf about the new temple to the journalist. “We have around the globe 159 temples, and the number is growing.”

This will be the first temple for Latter-day Saints in Russia. “Up until now if they wanted to go to the temple, they had to travel outside of Russia,” he explained.

Elder Uchtdorf said, “We’re very grateful for Russia to be a country where religious freedom is established. We may practice our faith here.”

The Latter-day Saint apostle said the members in Russia are “law-abiding, wonderful citizens” who love the tradition and history of their country.

“We have learned worldwide that it has always been a great blessing for a community to accept and invite a house of the Lord,” added Elder Uchtdorf. “And even though sometimes at the beginning there are critical voices, … these critical voices learn that the Mormons are good people. They are people to be trusted.”

Hasn’t Dieter Uchtdorf just very recently put out a comment to the effect “Don’t hold your breath”?

58 minutes ago, Marginal Gains said:

Hasn’t Dieter Uchtdorf just very recently put out a comment to the effect “Don’t hold your breath”?

Has he? If he has, and you're aware of it, I think you should probably supply the link instead of asking the question.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

I think 'don't hold your breath' is a poor use of words. Young children are slow to get ready for school, but they do eventually get ready in a timely manner. the expression 'don't hold your breath' means it most likely will not happen. 

On 5/10/2018 at 7:54 PM, nuclearfuels said:

Curious as to if Church HQ's legal team advised President Nelson or Bishop Davies to not announce the Russia Temple until a location had been selected and approved.  

Laughed at the response to the lawyers: Thank you for your advice.  This meeting is over.

Why would church legal have anything to do with a temple announcement? 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:54 PM, nuclearfuels said:

Was chatting at Scouts last night - RIP and good riddance BSA - with an expert on Russia.

Asked him 'bout the announced Temple in Russia; he thinks St. Petersburg; I don't know as I dont' study that country much,,,

He said it could be 10+ years away like when Kiev Temple was announced

-

Also I'd like to attend the dedication but not sure who would sponsor my Visa as a US passport won't get you in Russia, especially not after their recent laws regarding foreigners proselytizing? 

I had some inlaws tour all over Russia with no problems last year......?

3 hours ago, Freedom said:

I think 'don't hold your breath' is a poor use of words. Young children are slow to get ready for school, but they do eventually get ready in a timely manner. the expression 'don't hold your breath' means it most likely will not happen. 

I suspect the Temple in Russia will take slightly longer than your children do to get ready for school. I equally suspect that if you were to hold your breath, you’d pass out long before a temple in Russia appeared. 

9 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

Okay

Thanks.

So, Putin will let this fly?  I always assumed the Orthodox did not like the LDS and Putin suuure seems to be the church going kinda guy lol.  Is it a deal like in Rome where they let a temple be built, albeit far away from the home of Mother Church?

On 5/11/2018 at 10:19 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

From his days as a KGB Colonel in East Germany, he well knows that the Mormons are not a problem (he was there when the East Germans allowed the LDS to build a temple).

Putin was stationed in Dresden, somewhat out of the power center that could be found in East Berlin. He was also a Lt. Colonel, not a high ranking. I think that it is more in line with the example that the Russian lds set inside Russia.

My daugheter served in russia without a problem and met many wonderful Russians. I think that the Americans now have misunderstanding of Russians and russia after the negative reporting of russia after trump was elected.

Ekatarinaburg will be in contention for the temple.

13 hours ago, Marginal Gains said:

CFR

It is a major city at the borderlands of siberia. The russian saints need such a temple in such a city.

Looking at the map of meetinghouses (which may be more congregations in areas where rentals are used for meeting) probably will help with location:

https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/@37.439974,26.718750,2&cid=HP16FDM&lang=eng&id=::Turukhansky+District:Krasnoyarsk+Krai:663244:Russia:61.530234,87.063349,64.231547,89.432793

How difficult is it for Mongolians to cross into Russia?  If difficult, it seems unlikely the number of Mongolian congregations will have an impact.  Given the distance and number of western Russian congregations compare to Eastern and Mongolian numbers even if easy, I still think Nizhny is a top contender.  Possibly Yekaterinburg given fourth largest city if Mongolia is a factor. (Except there appears to be a significant difference in travel time as it is listed as 14 hours from Moscow to Samara and 24 to Yekaterinburg, so Samara might be preferred even if smaller (6th largest city iirc)..)

Highly doubt Saint Petersburg given it is way up there and close enough to Helsinki such that it takes twice as long to go from Saint Petersburg to Moscow as it does Helsinki. 6 to Nizhny as opposed to 9 hours for St Pete from Moscow.  While tiring, you could make it a day trip to Nizhny from Moscow.

Moscow is probably the most likely area if one assumes Saint Petersburg saints would go there, but if one assumes anyone closer to Helsinki goes there and same with Kiev temple, Nizhny goes up imo.

Edited by Calm