Seriously No Politics ×

Recent Changes and Unemployment in the Wards

Since the recent announcements about the Scout program look like they'll put me out of a job next year, I've been thinking about how the recent changes will be changing the number of callings at the ward levels.

The combining of the HP and EQ fee up 4 leaders from the dissolved Presidency.  We had 3 EQ teachers which were freed up.  And 3 Home Teaching supervisors.  So that's 10 men who had callings but now don't.

On the Scouting side, there are at least 3 people in the Pack Committee and the Troop Committee.  So that's 6.  Then the Scoutmaster, 11yo leader, and Assistant Scoutmaster.  The Cubmaster and den leaders.  That's another 11.

So for my average sized ward, that's ~20 adults who will no longer have callings. Maybe more if there was a dedicated FOS coordinator or other position for the Scouts.

It's possible that the new Youth programs will require their own leaders to manage, but I suspect it will be run by the existing Young Men's and Young Women's leaders (and Primary leaders).  The recent mandate that all Primary classes have two adult teachers will take up some of the slack.

But how do you see these extra ~20 adults being put to work? 

6 minutes ago, cinepro said:

4 leaders from the dissolved Presidency

Our group leader had passed away the week before the announcement and they didn't have a secretary.

7 minutes ago, cinepro said:

3 EQ teachers which were freed up

They'd all moved away or received other callings.  We had 1 HP teacher, but as he is approaching 90 this is a nice to to retire.

8 minutes ago, cinepro said:

3 Home Teaching supervisors

Never had enough people to fill these callings.

8 minutes ago, cinepro said:

3 people in the Pack Committee and the Troop Committee

These positions were always filled by people with other callings.  Never enough people otherwise.

10 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Scoutmaster, 11yo leader, and Assistant Scoutmaster.  The Cubmaster and den leaders

Except for the 11 year old leader they all have other callings as well.

So 20 people freed up in your ward, 3 in mine.

34 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Since the recent announcements about the Scout program look like they'll put me out of a job next year, I've been thinking about how the recent changes will be changing the number of callings at the ward levels.

The combining of the HP and EQ fee up 4 leaders from the dissolved Presidency.  We had 3 EQ teachers which were freed up.  And 3 Home Teaching supervisors.  So that's 10 men who had callings but now don't.

On the Scouting side, there are at least 3 people in the Pack Committee and the Troop Committee.  So that's 6.  Then the Scoutmaster, 11yo leader, and Assistant Scoutmaster.  The Cubmaster and den leaders.  That's another 11.

So for my average sized ward, that's ~20 adults who will no longer have callings. Maybe more if there was a dedicated FOS coordinator or other position for the Scouts.

It's possible that the new Youth programs will require their own leaders to manage, but I suspect it will be run by the existing Young Men's and Young Women's leaders (and Primary leaders).  The recent mandate that all Primary classes have two adult teachers will take up some of the slack.

Well, scouting is not out to pasture yet. The new program will need adults to oversee it, so will involve callings. The releases in the HP group is more immediate. I haven't seen how this will pan out yet, but I am sure there are jobs for those willing to serve.

I was thinking that as well, now with all these freed up brethren. Our ward won't have that problem as we don't have a ton of men to go around. The problem that they face here is getting the brethren who have callings to actually do them🤑

15 minutes ago, Thinking said:

Now there will be enough people to fill the most important positions of all - the nursery.

I was thinking now everybody will have the chance to participate in the nursery...and give some of these young mothers a chance to go to their own classes.😊

56 minutes ago, cinepro said:

My guess is that sometimes the problem has been more finding people for callings and not finding callings for people. In other words, there may have been more often a shortage of people who can fill certain callings than there was a shorting of callings to keep people busy.

Also, more available people could help lesson the load of some callings. For example, have a few teams of substitutes that could fill in for primary and SS teachers, when they couldn't attend or perhaps to relieve them once a months so that they could attend elders and RS instead. (One of my pet peeves when I was active was that those placed in primary, especially new members, often didn't get a chance to fully interact with others in the ward.) Or split the duties of some callings where possible so that people have more free time.

Another option would be to allow some people a break between callings. Is the risk of someone going inactive really that great if he or she goes 6 months or a  year between callings? For some, not having a calling for a period of time is just what they need. Having more people available may also help reduce the pressure some feel to accept a calling that they know or believe won't work for them. Depending on the situation, it might help people who know best about what they're capable of say no without the guilt that sometimes accompanies that.

Edited by toon
20 hours ago, cinepro said:

^^^THIS^^^

I think this is what will happen in my ward. After going to 2 deep in primary and Sunday school, I don't think we will have any slack.