Seriously No Politics ×

LDS and BSA are parting ways at the end of 2019

The Church just posted it on Facebook.  Scouting was working better for Cub Scouts and 11 year old scouts.  For a few of the older boys (12-14) it was still working, but for the most part it wasn't.  Friends of Scouting was interesting in trying to get people to donate.  I am not sure what will happen to BSA after the Church leaves.  As I understand it, 30-40% of boys in the US in scouts were LDS.  I don't even have any idea what the financial impact will be for BSA.  

In 2020 the church is getting rid of all current youth programs, including Personal Progress, achievement days, duty to God, etc. and implementing a new youth initiative. Exciting times!

Edited by bluebell

This should have happened when gays and transgender were let in.   The church lost its moral authority by staying with the crowd.  I stopped supporting Boy Scouts with their moral decay started.  It is embarrassing that the apostles just figured this out.

4 minutes ago, tulip said:

It is embarrassing that the apostles just figured this out.

Huh?  I am sure they saw this coming and had it figured out long before you did. A step this big has been years in the making to be able to develop a program that would be able to replace it and serve youth all over the world, starting in just a few month from now. 

It looks like my projected 10 year calling as a scout master just got shortened to a 5 year calling.  I hope to be involved in some way in the new program though.

I am really excited about these changes and for the future of my boy in the church.  Things are looking bright.   

17 minutes ago, bluebell said:

In 2020 the church is getting rid of all current youth programs, including Personal Progress, achievement days, duty to God, etc. and implementing a new youth initiative. Exciting times!

Maybe.

Beginning January 1, 2020, activity and achievement programs may be affected, including Faith in God for Girls and Boys, Activity Days for Girls and Boys, Personal Progress, and Duty to God. Until then, we encourage children and youth, parents and leaders to remain fully engaged in these programs.

Bold mine.

BEST ANNOUNCEMENT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST POST EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEST POSTER AND RESPONDERS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by nuclearfuels
2 minutes ago, Rain said:

Maybe.

Bold mine.

I was going off of this quote in the Deseret article-

“A new worldwide initiative for all Mormon boys and girls will debut in January 2020, replacing all existing activity and achievement programs, including the Personal Progress program for Young Women and the Activity Days, Faith in God and Duty to God programs for younger girls and boys, according to a church statement to members.”

57 minutes ago, webbles said:

Just now, Rain said:

Maybe.

Bold mine.

"That may be must be, Love, on (December) next."-

-Romeo and Juliet: Act 4, Scene 1, Page 2

Already burned my scout uniform and rubbed the ashes on my skin in a ritualistic gratitude offering to God.

53 minutes ago, readstoomuch said:

The Church just posted it on Facebook.  Scouting was working better for Cub Scouts and 11 year old scouts.  For a few of the older boys (12-14) it was still working, but for the most part it wasn't.  Friends of Scouting was interesting in trying to get people to donate.  I am not sure what will happen to BSA after the Church leaves.  As I understand it, 30-40% of boys in the US in scouts were LDS.  I don't even have any idea what the financial impact will be for BSA.  

BSA will lose at least 20% of its membership, as they should.

That is to say nothing of the non-LDS scouts that LDS Scout leaders have included and taught the merit badge classes, etc. to for the past 100+ years.

At least the BSA will be more "inclusive" now.

6 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

BSA will lose at least 20% of its membership, as they should.

It makes you wonder if they would have made the move to start allowing girls if the church would have stuck around.  I think they got wind of the changes and are making pre-emptive moves to recover some numbers.

This is a huge blow to the scouts.  I should feel worse then I do...but I don't. 

12 minutes ago, Rivers said:

I now have a testimony of President Nielsen. 😊

I think this quote from Elder Holland in conference is worthy of repeating here:

To paraphrase Ralph Waldo Emerson, the most memorable moments in life are those in which we feel the rush of revelation.1 President Nelson, I don’t know how many more “rushes” we can handle this weekend. Some of us have weak hearts. But as I think about it, you can take care of that too. What a prophet!

Bye bye home teaching/visiting teaching; bye bye high priest groups; and now...bye-bye boy scouts!

"What a prophet" indeed! 

6 minutes ago, Prof said:

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, I am free at last.

I think I am going to sew a patch with that saying on it onto my scout master uniform for my last court of honor.

11 minutes ago, Prof said:

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, I am free at last.

Just a gentle reminder that many of us 'international Saints' have been free for a long time already. Welcome! :D

Edited by Hamba Tuhan
31 minutes ago, blueglass said:

So happy for this announcement!  Just wish it were dec 2018.  New program for girls too.  Heroines of Jericho?

Could be they want to give time for boys who are working on Eagle now to be able complete the program.