Sign in to follow this  
Prof

Church buildings to block social media sites

What a wonderful idea; three cheers

• Like 1

Turn off wifi and continue as before.

Still, will make clerking easier so I support this.

At least we can chat here during church. :P 

• Like 2

I do think it's weird that Facebook and Snapchat aren't included on the list.  Snapchat is a huge thing with the youth in our area.

• Like 2

On 5/2/2018 at 7:56 AM, bluebell said:

I do think it's weird that Facebook and Snapchat aren't included on the list.  Snapchat is a huge thing with the youth in our area.

I have no idea about Snapchat but I was sitting with the sister missionaries a couple of months ago during Sacrament meeting and they were both on Facebook the entire time talking to investigators and setting up appointments.  I think IIRC that Facebook was one of the missionary tools the Church is encouraging and utilizing.

At least that was their story 🙂.   

Edited by Peppermint Patty
  • Like 1

With the exception of Facebook, and very very seldom Twitter, I don't do any social media.  Last Sunday I tried to get into Facebook, and I was not blocked.  Either my phone was bypassing the WiFi, or it hasn't been blocked on our router.  When I mentioned the news of social media blocking, our bishop indicated that FB was included -- even though it wasn't in the list that I saw.

Anyone here notice if FB is blocked where they are?

31 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

With the exception of Facebook, and very very seldom Twitter, I don't do any social media.  Last Sunday I tried to get into Facebook, and I was not blocked.  Either my phone was bypassing the WiFi, or it hasn't been blocked on our router.  When I mentioned the news of social media blocking, our bishop indicated that FB was included -- even though it wasn't in the list that I saw.

Anyone here notice if FB is blocked where they are?

FB works at my ward.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ksfisher said:

FB works at my ward.

It worked at my building last Sunday as well!

I have a hotspot on my phone so this block would not affect me.  I would guess there are many others with this feature also.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I have a hotspot on my phone so this block would not affect me.  I would guess there are many others with this feature also.

We just use our own data rather than the church's wifi.  I think most people who care about the blocks sites will just do that.

Edited by bluebell

I use the wifi until the building gets crowded and the internet slows.  My daughter and all the seminary kids use a VPN app that is a work around the firewall, and nothing is blocked. 

Sign in to follow this