Sign in to follow this  
Calm

2018 FairMormon Conference: Women's Workshop, Seventy Elder Pearson

The conference starts Wednesday this year instead of Thursday, hopefully most of us can get that extra day off.

https://www.fairmormon.org/conference/august-2018

Mark your calendars for the 2018 FairMormon Conference, 1-3 August 2018. Yes, three days this year! The first day will be a FairMormon Women’s workshop. It is open to both men and women, but it will focus on women in the Church. The conference will be held at the Utah Valley Convention Center in Provo, Utah.

More info will be following.  With the expansion, things aren't as far along as they usually are.

From the Nov 2017 FM Journal:

We would like to announce a special Pre-FairMormon Conference Workshop. Our FairMormon Conference is scheduled for Thursday and Friday on August 2-3 in Provo, UT. This year we have made an exciting addition. On WEDNESDAY, August 1, we have invited several historians to help us with a FairMormon Women’s Workshop. This will have historians and other speakers talking about LDS women and women’s leadership in the LDS Church.

This Workshop is a stand-alone event. You will be able to come just for the one day, or you can stay for the other two days.

It is open to BOTH men and women. If you are interested in the lesser-known history of Women leaders in the LDS church, if you want to be able to give examples of LDS women role models in your young women’s or seminary classes, if you have a desire to learn about LDS women, this would be a conference workshop for you to attend.

The Women's Workshop is being put on in partnership with the Church History Department.

Edited by Calm
  • Like 3

More info:

Wednesday has been put together in collaboration with the Church History Department. It is focusing on Women's stories. But, it is geared to be appropriate for both men and women.

Thursday has Brad Wilcox speaking on grace. There are lots of other great speakers including Spencer McBride on Joseph Smith in Washington DC, Steven Harper on the new Church History, Randall Spackman on chronological structure in the Book of Mormon.

Friday has Elder Kevin W. Pearson of the First Quorum of the Seventy. You won't want to miss that. It also has talks on horses in the Book of Mormon, the Book of Abraham, faith, and homosexuality.

Here is the schedule

Schedule

Conference sessions begin at 9:00 am each day and end at 5:45 pm. Registration is available before the first session each day.

(Mobile devices: Scroll the table left and right to see all the data.)

Edit
Time Speaker/Event Presentation
Wednesday, August 1
8:00 AM Registration Opens  
8:50 AM Opening  
9:00 AM Matt McBride Women of the Global Church: Stories on history.lds.org
10:00 AM Jenny Reeder "Fire In My Bones": Women’s Stories on churchhistorianspress.org
11:00 AM Lisa Olsen Tait Takeaways from the Gospel Topics Essays
12:00 PM Lunch  
1:00 PM Jenny Lund “We all must be crazy”: The Plight of a 19th-Century Mormon Missionary Wife
2:00 PM Scott Hales Women's Stories in Saints: The Story of the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days
3:00 PM Taunalyn Rutherford Mormon Women in India
4:00 PM Snack Break  
4:15 PM Lynne Hilton Wilson Peter and Paul’s Paradoxical Passages on Women
5:15 PM Closing  
Thursday, August 2
8:00 AM Registration  
9:00 AM Sara Riley “Even as Moses’ Did”: the Use of the Exodus Narrative in Mosiah 11-18
10:00 AM Brad Wilcox  "Have You Been Saved By Grace?” How Do We Respond?
11:00 AM Steve Densley & Geret Giles Barriers to Belief
12:00 PM Lunch  
1:00 PM Jeffrey Bradshaw Stories of the Saints in the DR Congo
2:00 PM Steve Harper Making Saints: A Look into the Writing of the New Church History
3:00 PM Snack Break  
3:15 PM Randall Spackman Chronological Structure and Symbolism in the Small Plates of Nephi
4:15 PM Spencer McBride Joseph Smith in Van Buren’s White House: Lessons in Electoral Politics and Religious Freedom
Friday, August 3
8:30 AM Registration  
9:00 AM Wade Miller The Presence of Pre-Columbian Horses in America
10:00 AM John Lynch Strengthen Thy Brethren: Bolstering Those in Faith Crisis
11:00 AM Elder Kevin W. Pearson TBA
12:00 AM Lunch  
12:50 PM FairMormon Business  
1:00 PM Jeff Lindsay “Arise from the Dust”: Digging into a Vital Book of Mormon Theme
2:00 PM John Gee Selling Our Birthright for a Mess of Pottage: The Historical Authenticity of the Book of Abraham
3:00 PM Snack Break  
3:15 PM Jeff Robinson Thinking Differently About Same-Sex Attraction
4:15 PM Daniel Peterson Apologetics: What, Why and How?
  • Like 1

I don't know about your questions, but one class makes me want to attend. The stories of the saints in the Congo. Most of the refugees we are getting in Arizona right now are from the Congo so that class really interests me.  

I have, perhaps, a ton of things that will be happening in the end of July, beginning of August, but I hope to catch this.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

You can always stream if you can't go, both live and post.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to that one as well. I'm also looking forward to the one on Mormon women in India.

I'll post something about this at T&S for you.

• Like 2

We've been sending you a healthy number of promotional emails about the upcoming FairMormon Conference. This is the last one! This is also your last chance to register online. The deadline is tomorrow, July 26th at 11:59pm.

And don't forget, if you can't attend in person, you can purchase streaming rights. You'll even get access to the videos for an entire year. This is one of the best ways to support FairMormon because you get something so great in return!

We want as many people to attend or stream the conference as possible. Why? First of all, the speakers have all prepared powerful talks to strengthen your faith and knowledge, and to arm you in the battle against the critics of the church. We love it and we know you will too. This year is going to be one of the best, most interesting conferences yet.

Also, as a non-profit, staffed with 
volunteers, the conference is one of our most important fundraising activities.

We hope to see you there, either physically or virtually.

Purchase Tickets Now:

e3a10f6f6cc0cd72307165c88e255d6a.png?r=7
Scott Gordon
President of FairMormon

Join Us for a Workshop
The Church History Department is collaborating with FairMormon to present “Celebrating LDS Women,” a workshop dedicated to topics related to women in the church. The workshop—which will take place August 1, 2018, in Provo, Utah—is part of FairMormon’s three-day annual conference and will feature five speakers from the Church History Department. Topics will include accounts about women of the global church, takeaways from the Gospel Topics essays, and stories of women in the upcoming publication Saints: The Story of the Church of Jesus Christ in the Latter Days.

To register for the conference and view its schedule, visit the FairMormon
 website or Facebook page.
https://mailchi.mp/ldschurch/join-us-for-a-workshop?e=4e19b1d5ff
Edited by Calm

On 5/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, Calm said:

More info:

Calm. you know as much as anybody...you should be on this list...!! 

No.  I don't do original research.

Plus I am a writer, not a speaker.

9 hours ago, Calm said:

I see that the Deseret News plucked from the files some of my old photos to illustrate this column by Dr. Peterson.

Alas, I won't be there this year to cover the conference. It will be the first one I have missed since the birth of my daughter, which took place on the day of the conference 13 years ago.

I'm hoping to read/view some of the presentations as they become available online. I have long been and continue to be an admirer of the FairMormon organization and its work.

Edited by Calm

Very interesting that Elder Pearson is speaking at FairMormon. What's the background on that? Any teasers on the subject matter? Has a GA ever spoken at FairMormon before?

2 hours ago, churchistrue said:

Very interesting that Elder Pearson is speaking at FairMormon. What's the background on that? Any teasers on the subject matter? Has a GA ever spoken at FairMormon before?

Yes, GAs have spoken at FairMormon in the past.

ELDER KEVIN PEARSON

Pearson-e1527246050713-150x150.jpgElder Kevin W. Pearson was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 5, 2008. At the time of his call, he had been serving as the president of the Washington Tacoma Mission. He previously served as a counselor in the Europe East Area, President of the Pacific Area, and as an assistant executive director of the Missionary Department. He is currently serving at Church headquarters as an area assistant with the North America Southwest Area. Elder Pearson also serves on the Communication Services Committee and Strengthening Church Members Committee.

Elder Pearson received a bachelor of science degree in finance from the University of Utah in 1981. In 1983 he received a master’s degree in business administration in corporate finance from Harvard Business School. Prior to his call as a mission president, he was working as the chief executive officer at Ingenix, Inc.

Elder Pearson has served in a number of Church callings, including full-time missionary in the Finland Helsinki Mission, stake missionary, elders quorum president, ward Young Men president, high councilor, counselor in a bishopric, bishop, and mission president.

Kevin Wayne Pearson was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on April 10, 1957. He married June Langeland in June 1980. They are the parents of six children.

Presentation: A Sacred and Imperative Duty

Check FairMormon Facebook to keep up, only teaser currently available.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/fairmormon/

(giving direct link so you can avoid wandering among the countless friends and family posts for hours like I do...just spent 15 minutes getting the link, I think as I lost track for a moment or 50...)

Edited by Calm

On 7/31/2018 at 1:08 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, GAs have spoken at FairMormon in the past.

For instance? 

25 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

For instance? 

I was thinking of Ed Pinegar, but he was only a member of a general board, so I spoke too soon -- and without sufficient light and knowledge . . .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I was thinking of Ed Pinegar, but he was only a member of a general board, so I spoke too soon -- and without sufficient light and knowledge . . .

Richard Turley Jr. and Michael Otterson have each spoken at the conference. They are/were fairly high level in Church administration, but neither is a General Authority. Sharon Eubank spoke one year, but it was before she attained general auxiliary leadership (not the same as General Authority, by the way). 

Up to now, I don’t believe anyone on a General Authority, or even an Area Authority, level has ever spoken at a FairMormon conference. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Richard Turley Jr. and Michael Otterson have each spoken at the conference. They are/were fairly high level in Church administration, but neither is a General Authority. Sharon Eubank spoke one year, but it was before she attained general auxiliary leadership (not the same as General Authority, by the way). 

Up to now, I don’t believe anyone on a General Authority, or even an Area Authority, level has ever spoken at a FairMormon conference. 

Thanks, Scott.  I must be careful not to broadcast fake news, and I need a professional to edit me.  Embarrassing.

25 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Thanks, Scott.  I must be careful not to broadcast fake news, and I need a professional to edit me.  Embarrassing.

No worries. 

I do remember that talk by Brother Pinegar. It was quite memorable. 

I wonder if the appearance this time by Elder Pearson is a harbinger of things to come with regard to future conferences. 

I think/hope it indicates the esteem and trust that the high leaders of the Church have for FairMormon. I have noticed during the past several years at least, one or more folks from Public Affairs have been at the conference. 

I clearly remember in the early days many years ago now that someone from FAIR called the Church News seeking coverage of that year’s conference. The associate editor was apprehensive, but I was familiar enough with the organization from having poked around on message boards and the like that I could vouch for it. I also volunteered to cover the conference that year. I’ve done so every year since except one. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd