Sign in to follow this  
Calm

Utah good place for Muslims

Posted (edited)

This article does not surprise.  About 14 years ago, I attended an interfaith conference at UVU where the Muslim leader stated Utah very attractive to Muslims, both for its family friendly environment and its positive attitude towards Muslims.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900015561/utah-is-only-state-where-gop-leaders-havent-demonized-muslims-since-2015-according-to-buzzfeed-news-investigation.html

"Khan, who worships at the Utah Islamic Center, said he's thankful that his kids are growing up in a place that embraces religious diversity.

"This has been a great place to live. We have not felt the effects of Islamophobia here that my friends have felt in other places," he said."

That the reason Utah stands out is the lack of demonizing Muslims is quite sad.

Edited by Calm

“While we are, unfortunately, a red state, we are not rednecks," he said. "There is a sense of civility here that makes us unique. I am proud of that."

Yeah, because as we all know, most Republicans are slack jawed redneck yokels...so fortunate that Utah is the exception to the rule.

The article headline is kind of inflammatory as well.  

12 hours ago, Calm said:

This article does not surprise.  About 14 years ago, I attended an interfaith conference at UVU where the Muslim leader stated Utah very attractive to Muslims, both for its family friendly environment and its positive attitude towards Muslims.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900015561/utah-is-only-state-where-gop-leaders-havent-demonized-muslims-since-2015-according-to-buzzfeed-news-investigation.html

"Khan, who worships at the Utah Islamic Center, said he's thankful that his kids are growing up in a place that embraces religious diversity.

"This has been a great place to live. We have not felt the effects of Islamophobia here that my friends have felt in other places," he said."

That the reason Utah stands out is the lack of demonizing Muslims is quite sad.

Unfortunately, the positive commentary about Utah's acceptance of our Muslim brothers & sisters is overshadowed by the derogatory and needlessly inflammatory rhetoric aimed at Republicans and the party's leadership. No need to errantly tear down one just to build another up. : (

Are you claiming that the Republican leadership have not attacked or restricted or set up bigoted requirements in other states?

Otthat violence against Muslims is occurring?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Calm said:

Are you claiming that the Republican leadership have not attacked or restricted or set up bigoted requirements in other states?

The only restriction I know of is the travel ban.  I happened to think it was reasonable.  Can you show me an instance of Republican lawmakers passing legislation restricting the rights of Muslims?

According to Pew research, there were 307 instances of Muslim hate crimes in 2016.  Of the 307, 144 cases were forms of “intimidation”.  Honestly, the only crimes against Muslims I hear about anymore are the ones in which the “victims” had fabricated the entire thing.

Jews still “win” the most persecuted religion award, being on the receiving end of 684 hate crimes.  I believe a group of Muslim immigrants murdered an elderly Jewish holocaust survivor in Paris for the sole crime of being Jewish. I still have not heard of a single Muslim being murdered in the west for the sole reason of their religion.

And if I sound particularly aggressive, it’s because I do get worked up about it easily.  I’ll straight up admit I do not like Muslims or their religion.  I’m not public about it, and I’ll be courteous to whomever, but I absolutely do not care for their faith.  I know it’s wrong, and it’s totally unbecoming of an LDS member, and totally at odds with the Gospel, but I think it’s something I’ll struggle with for a good long while.  

I’m glad they find Utah to be hospitable, it would be shameful for the church if they didn’t.  But I dislike the obnoxious “surprise” in the article that a conservative state is found to be civil and inviting to people who are different.

Edited by SteveO

17 hours ago, Calm said:

Are you claiming it is an "acceptable plank within the Republican Party to demonize Muslims" and are you in agreement with all the other accusations against the Republican Party found in the article? I've already stated my position on it. How about you confirm yours and we'll go from there?