Jump to content

Recommended Posts

With ministering replacing home and visiting teaching, and I thought it might be wise to discuss what is ministering meanWith ministering replacing home and visiting teaching, and I thought it might be wise to discuss what ministering means.

what is ministering? How do you define it? How do you do it?

Share this post


Link to post

what do people need? if you lying in a hospital bed maybe a lesson on FHE isn't what you need to hear right now. Just have a conversation with the person about whatever, if you can talk about the church or gospel that's great!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There is an excellent article on “Ministry in the Early Church,” in the Anchor Bible Dictionary, IV:835-842, from which I glean the following brief comments:

Ministering (Greek leitourgia) is often used of compassionate service by any member of the community (so Phil 2:17, 25, 30).

However, Paul identifies himself Rom 15:16 as a minister of Christ who performs a priestly service to the Gospel by bringing all nations as an offering to God – thus fulfilling Isa 61:6, 66:20.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

With ministering replacing home and visiting teaching, and I thought it might be wise to discuss what is ministering meanWith ministering replacing home and visiting teaching, and I thought it might be wise to discuss what ministering means.

what is ministering? How do you define it? How do you do it?

I’ve been around many changes and tweaks in whatever we call it for over 5 decades. For me it’s still the same thing that I have been instructed to do as a whatever we call it since I started 1964, as revealed in the D&C.Visit families, get to know their needs, be a friend, serve and help when needed, pass on to leaders anything that might require their attention. Just don’t have to report it as frequently, unless something is urgent.

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

For me, ministering is meeting a need. The need might be spiritual, physical, or social. Those around might have some of each of these. Meeting those shows  we "love our neighbors as we love ourselves"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

I used to visit teach a sister who is never getting married and I refused to teach her the lesson on Celestial Marriage or anything regarding children. She's never having children either. I taught her messages that were relevant to her and helped her with what she needed, so I'm glad for the changes. And another lady I stopped visiting because she had a gun on her table and when I asked her if she could put it away because it was aimed at her and making me feel uncomfortable, she rolled her eyes, pointed it at me, and said, "It's not loaded!" Totally insane. I didn't ask to be taken off her route because I didn't want anyone else going over there. 

Wow...that is the only thing that comes to mind right now.  You are a good sister and then some.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

One of my favorite visits were to an elderly woman and my partner was the best, it was a sweet time. I cherish those visits, sometimes ladies want to be lined up with someone their own ages, but they are surely missing out. 

My RS president said we are still with a partner or our spouse or ym/yw depending and assigned people. Is she wrong? Also, our ward doesn't do the circle thing in RS. I was looking forward to the circle. :( It's because we meet in a really old building and it's RS room is tiny.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jeanne said:

Wow...that is the only thing that comes to mind right now.  You are a good sister and then some.

Thank you, Jeanne. The first sister I mentioned - we became very close friends and she's a part of the family. We have her over right now and she's been fighting cancer hard for years. Same cancer as my dad. :( I was her VT for four years, we started spending time together after that, and then every Wednesday she came over for years and we made dinner together. Then she started spending Christmas with us because with her job loss, she couldn't visit her family anymore. It's been a total nightmare for her and her savings from being forced to sell her home will run out next month when her lease runs up. I don't even know what to do. Our house is not a good place to take care of her, so I hope another friend can take her in. She's about to start "heavy duty chemo" and as it is she has been falling down, passing out, etc. I've done everything I possibly can and am so frustrated that the wait list for subsidized housing is 2 years long. She lives on the 3rd floor in her apartments and a guy saw her do cartwheels down the stairs last month. She had no memory of falling. There has to be something to help cancer patients who have no family and can't work, but I haven't found anything.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MorningStar said:

Thank you, Jeanne. The first sister I mentioned - we became very close friends and she's a part of the family. We have her over right now and she's been fighting cancer hard for years. Same cancer as my dad. :( I was her VT for four years, we started spending time together after that, and then every Wednesday she came over for years and we made dinner together. Then she started spending Christmas with us because with her job loss, she couldn't visit her family anymore. It's been a total nightmare for her and her savings from being forced to sell her home will run out next month when her lease runs up. I don't even know what to do. Our house is not a good place to take care of her, so I hope another friend can take her in. She's about to start "heavy duty chemo" and as it is she has been falling down, passing out, etc. I've done everything I possibly can and am so frustrated that the wait list for subsidized housing is 2 years long. She lives on the 3rd floor in her apartments and a guy saw her do cartwheels down the stairs last month. She had no memory of falling. There has to be something to help cancer patients who have no family and can't work, but I haven't found anything.  

My heart breaks at your story here.  Keep me updated.. I hope that there is a place..I can't imagine her being alone..you are a wonderful lady and no doubt her best memories are with you and yours..your family love is just huge. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Tacenda said:

My RS president said we are still with a partner or our spouse or ym/yw depending and assigned people. Is she wrong?

It's all up to your ward/stake on how they want to do it, best meeting local needs.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, Jeanne said:

My heart breaks at your story here.  Keep me updated.. I hope that there is a place..I can't imagine her being alone..you are a wonderful lady and no doubt her best memories are with you and yours..your family love is just huge. 

A friend said she could move in with her and her family. So relieved! Thanks, Jeanne! We will have to quickly go through her things before her new chemo starts. Her biopsy is this Tuesday and then they will decide what they're doing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, MorningStar said:

A friend said she could move in with her and her family. So relieved! Thanks, Jeanne! We will have to quickly go through her things before her new chemo starts. Her biopsy is this Tuesday and then they will decide what they're doing. 

I have thought about this woman for hours...thank you..thank you..for letting me know.  Truly God is watching over her..and your family will reap some rewards outside of her acquaintance and friendship...you rock!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×