Seriously No Politics ×

Is The Salt Lake Tribune, is an anti-Church or anti-Mormon, as it seems?

1 minute ago, Thinking said:

As a high school sports fan, I wish the Salt Lake Tribune was up to the level of the Deseret News in reporting on high school sports.

Yeah, but anti-Mormons and liberals don't like high school sports . . . =@

And they definitely don't like BYU sports (Patrick Kinehan, Gordon Monson, et. al.).  :lol:

1 minute ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I think bias is very often a subjective determination.

On controversial matters, I believe the Deseret News is more careful than another publication might typically be to ensure that the Church's view is reflected in quotes and overall reporting. Some might consider this bias, I suppose.

That's fair.  I just wanted to better understand your position.

15 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Early own in my Facebook setup account, have seen many links provided here at times, I decided to request a constant link to the Salt Lake Tribune. To me each story, be it politics, social issues, or stories of the Church, it always seems to be very unflattering of The Church. Even if the story is not overtly attacking the Church, the comments section is filled with posters who are almost always negative, in not downright hostel. In fact, I often see stories that no one who think it could have any link, but the posts in the comments section, make the link, anyway they can! 

Am I reading this correctly, is there truly such a basis?  

I used to get the weekly Deseret News (which was mostly articles on ethics and social issues), but other than that, I don't have much exposure to either paper other than what gets spread around in LDS forums.

That being said, it seems to me that the biggest difference is that when something negative happens involving the LDS Church and it's too big to ignore, the DN is this:

Dog-Avoiding-a-Bath.jpg

and the SLT tribune is this:

848-06684010en_Masterfile.jpg

Edited by cinepro
15 hours ago, sunstoned said:

I have also noticed that the online posters to SLTrib stories seem to be overly negative.  They are usually much more negative that the original article.  IMO, I think the Trib does a good job of reporting.  They are not going to give the church a free pass, but they also don't intentionally take jabs at it either. 

Agreed, I think the Tribune does a good job for the most part on taking a balanced approach to reporting stories about the church.

The comment section on the other hand is generally a cesspool, view at your own risk...

1 minute ago, omni said:

Agreed, I think the Tribune does a good job for the most part on taking a balanced approach to reporting stories about the church.

The comment section on the other hand is generally a cesspool, view at your own risk...

And the comments of DN....is the same...the same...the same...

Back in the Olden Days , there was a comment section in the newspaper. It was called " letters to the editor " . One had to sign one's own name to even be considered. The anonymous comments now promote the ' cesspool ' aspect. One news service I get has eliminated the comment section entirely. That cleaned up the atmosphere .

1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

How often in, say, the course of a typical week do you read the Deseret News?

All the time.  The Trib is trying to hide behind a pay wall so I find myself reading the DN more and more when I want to see what's going on in the motherland or fatherland (don't know which would be a better designation).

52 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I could probably scroll back through a few weeks of Facebook links. More than this the comments section (as I pointed out) did have much to do with my take of many articles. As it relates to those comments, it seems that, if the paper did a human interest story of a woman adopting puppies, there would be 100's of comments linking to, and attacking the Church, posted in the "comments section". I guess more than anything else, this is what caught my eye.

So your title should more accurately have asked “Are the readers of the Tribune as anti-church, or anti-Mormon as it seems”.

Is the Deseret News simply the propaganda arm of the Church?

2 hours ago, 2PairsofCletes said:

Unlike the Deseret News, the tribune doesn't often censor it's comment section. 

I think there is a big difference between censoring vile comments, and not censoring almost anything at all. 

2 hours ago, cinepro said:

I used to get the weekly Deseret News (which was mostly articles on ethics and social issues), but other than that, I don't have much exposure to either paper other than what gets spread around in LDS forums.

That being said, it seems to me that the biggest difference is that when something negative happens involving the LDS Church and it's too big to ignore, the DN is this:

Dog-Avoiding-a-Bath.jpg

and the SLT tribune is this:

848-06684010en_Masterfile.jpg

Great analogy! :) 

1 hour ago, Marginal Gains said:

So your title should more accurately have asked “Are the readers of the Tribune as anti-church, or anti-Mormon as it seems”.

No, as the articles are the link that I follow to find what others think. Sometimes not living in SLC, or Utah, and a world away, I don't know the back story behind much of the story. Here is Georgia, I need often only need the neighborhood, and street name to know something.   

1 hour ago, Marginal Gains said:

News arm, does not mean the same thing as "Propaganda", necessarily. DN, can deliver news about the Church and news about the Church around the world that is as informative. News, is information about what I don't already know.  

Click bait pure and simple. What I don't get is how the same people can take any article about the church and spew out the same old complaints in the comments section without getting tired of saying the same old things over and over again. 

30 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I think there is a big difference between censoring vile comments, and not censoring almost anything at all. 

Either way, censoring is censoring regardless of the criteria set up to censor.

Both the Deseret News, the Tribune and any other private business can censor or not if they so choose. DN censors closely, the SLT doesn't. Both are within their rights

On 4/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Early own in my Facebook setup account, have seen many links provided here at times, I decided to request a constant link to the Salt Lake Tribune. To me each story, be it politics, social issues, or stories of the Church, it always seems to be very unflattering of The Church. Even if the story is not overtly attacking the Church, the comments section is filled with posters who are almost always negative, in not downright hostel. In fact, I often see stories that no one who think it could have any link, but the posts in the comments section, make the link, anyway they can! 

Historically the Tribune was founded by infidels to counter balance what was perceived as undue LDS influence in Utah. 

6 hours ago, JAHS said:

Click bait pure and simple. What I don't get is how the same people can take any article about the church and spew out the same old complaints in the comments section without getting tired of saying the same old things over and over again. 

It seems that there are people that like to do things the binge way. Binge drinking, binge watching (such as a T.V. series one right after the other, something my wife enjoys but a seemingly infinite series of Family Feud on the Game Show Network drives me nuts), so maybe there is a category of binge posting the same stuff over and over again. :P

Glenn

7 minutes ago, mrmarklin said:

Historically the Tribune was founded by infidels to counter balance what was perceived as undue LDS influence in Utah. 

I do not wish to sound naive, or disingenuous, but what I know of Salt Lake City, and Utah, it would just be a sleepily little desert town, and the most the Satate almost uninhabitable. The Church founded the State, and LDS teaching that encourages more that most smaller relgioions, that members seek higher education, and then beyond. It also due to the Church and such influences created many great schools, that are widely respected around the world. It encourages  all secondary education, including doctorates. Then they hope members will return to make even more with their educations in the I15 corridor, and beyond. I believe with these things, the stabilization of the family, the Church, and the individual, are what makes other feel safe in working, and in growing their the same business, as he or she is looking for such a place to raise a family. 

These things cement, the desire for companies to move too, or do start-up companies, that become (in many cases) Uath, for business, an, more importantly a place for family to live. Also these companies can find much of their workforce needed, again because of the good schools, and the attitude of families and school to perform well. So, anyway, God bless you. In Jesus Christ's name, this is what I believe. 

On 4/11/2018 at 8:46 PM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Most of the people who post on the tribs are non-lds or former-lds and they are politically liberal.  The tribune seems to be a place of refuge where they flock to.  I would not say the Trib is against the Church.  They just have a lot of issues that cover different issues and sides.  I have heard some commenters who have a great dislike to the Church complain about all the stories they have regarding the Church.

23 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Back in the Olden Days , there was a comment section in the newspaper. It was called " letters to the editor " . One had to sign one's own name to even be considered. The anonymous comments now promote the ' cesspool ' aspect. One news service I get has eliminated the comment section entirely. That cleaned up the atmosphere .

I like the comment section.  Yes one gets a variety of responses but its important for people to have a place to respond and even correct false statements in news articles.

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

Most of the people who post on the tribs are non-lds or former-lds and they are politically liberal.  The tribune seems to be a place of refuge where they flock to.  I would not say the Trib is against the Church.  They just have a lot of issues that cover different issues and sides.  I have heard some commenters who have a great dislike to the Church complain about all the stories they have regarding the Church.

Then maybe to be fair an impartial they should just stop reporting on so many Church issues or events. They should report big news, even bad news when needed. However, I read an article recently where they talked about President Nelson, and his up coming world tour.

On 4/12/2018 at 12:47 PM, Exiled said:

All the time.  The Trib is trying to hide behind a pay wall so I find myself reading the DN more and more when I want to see what's going on in the motherland or fatherland (don't know which would be a better designation).

I now have 3 different browsers on my phone...that way I have triple the "free" articles. 

On 4/12/2018 at 10:23 AM, Scott Lloyd said:

I'm curious about whether you've spent much time reading issues of the Deseret News issues pre-1871 (the year the Tribune was founded) or if this is an impression you've gained from others' opinions that you've read.

Also, I daresay most any typical 19th century journalism would appear quite different -- perhaps even inferior -- compared to today's standards. The point being that journalistic standards in general have evolved over the years and continue to do so.

I've never read anyone else's opinion of the early editions of DN. A few years back, I poured through as many as I could stand looking for genealogical information. 

On 4/12/2018 at 11:59 AM, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Competition improves everything, unless it is competition in "vice industries". Thanks for pointing this out, not living out West, I did not know the difference between the two. I always viewed Deseret as just an arm of the Church, not to suggest this is a bad thing, it is not. I just never viewed it as an independent news source. Here the only real Newspaper, which carries the name of the Atlanta Journal and Constitution, are the same newspaper. Also, the largest News Program is WSB-2 News, all are a part of Cox Industries, all owned by a single family. So in this respect I can understand your point. 

I don't know much about it, just the few observations I've made. I don't live in Utah so I don't subscribe to either one. I try to avoid as much news as possible these days. :D