smac97

Church Statement on Medical Marijuana

51 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

For all of the protestations that marijuana is relatively harmless, comparisons of dangerousness between marijuana and alcohol are difficult. Of course, every state has a Blood Alcohol Content threshold at or above which it becomes unsafe and therefore illegal for one who has consumed alcohol to operate a motor vehicle.  It is well-known how such factors as age, weight, tolerance, accompanying food consumption, and so on affect those who consume alcohol and how those factors interact with alcohol consumption to affect the safe operation of motor vehicles.  Not so with marijuana.  

We have a pretty good idea how much alcohol is in most 12-oz. beers, in a glass of wine, in a shot of hard liquor, and so forth, and how consumption of alcohol will affect the consumer based on criteria previously mentioned, but the content and effect of tetrahydrocannibinol (now you know why they call it "THC" ;) ... and if you want to get really technical about it, I believe the hypertechnical chemical term is Delta-4-THC) in marijuana is a different matter: It can vary from area to area, from plant to plant, and so on, and its effects are far less predictable, varying not only from person to person, but also from use to use by the same person.  There really is no way to establish a threshold for marijuana use above which operation of a motor vehicle is unsafe, as has been done for alcohol.

You may be right about this.  But marijuana has been legal in one form or another in some states for decades.  I haven't heard the problems with marijuana and driving that is anything remotely compared with the problems of drunk driving.  

I think that it is telling that a lot of states who initially started with medical marijuana have moved to full access to marijuana in a tightly regulated marketplace.  If the disasters are anything like the fear mongers are trying to rake up, why are all these citizens willing to allow full legalization?  I can tell you here in California, I have seen no bad side effects when medical marijuana became legal.  And frankly I see no bad side effects since it has been legalized completely a couple of years ago.  

On a side note, just by chance, I met someone who is involved in a medical marijuana start up company.  They just got funding last week for their project to move forward.  This particular company has a patent on a special strain of marijuana that has 7 times the medical benefits of other marijuana strains.  Even though all marijuana is now legal, it doesn't mean that individual companies are not choosing very specific markets they want to go after.  

I got the chance to ask her a little about the industry.  What was really interesting to me was the incredibly large variety of different strains that produce very specific effects.  Some increase appetite, which is helpful in cancer patients. Some decrease appetite which is good for those needing to control their weight.  Some are specific in helping people sleep. Some decrease anxiety.  The list goes on.  It is important to understand that there is not just one type of marijuana.  There are many strains that offer very specific help.  Each dose is carefully regulated and labeled.  And the regularity process is quite heavy in each part of the process.  Getting permits to grow, market, distribute, sell etc are each handled separately and require specific permits and regulations that must be met.  

33 minutes ago, california boy said:

On a side note, just by chance, I met someone who is involved in a medical marijuana start up company.  They just got funding last week for their project to move forward.  This particular company has a patent on a special strain of marijuana that has 7 times the medical benefits of other marijuana strains.  Even though all marijuana is now legal, it doesn't mean that individual companies are not choosing very specific markets they want to go after.  

I got the chance to ask her a little about the industry.  What was really interesting to me was the incredibly large variety of different strains that produce very specific effects.  Some increase appetite, which is helpful in cancer patients. Some decrease appetite which is good for those needing to control their weight.  Some are specific in helping people sleep. Some decrease anxiety.  The list goes on.  It is important to understand that there is not just one type of marijuana.  There are many strains that offer very specific help.  Each dose is carefully regulated and labeled.  And the regularity process is quite heavy in each part of the process.  Getting permits to grow, market, distribute, sell etc are each handled separately and require specific permits and regulations that must be met.  

Thanks CB, good to know they are working on this! Happy 420! According to my son who is into learning all about cannabis, it's Marijuana day or something. ;)

57 minutes ago, california boy said:

Was she referring to oils, pills, derivatives, etc.? Or, primarily or solely developing it to smoke in order to get these benefits (appetite, weight loss, insomnia, anxiety, etc.)?

It seems to me that almost all people claiming to need it for the above insist that only smoking it (maybe eating it, also) helps them (i.e., not pills or oil).

Smoking it is the firm red line for me. 

5 hours ago, rongo said:

Was she referring to oils, pills, derivatives, etc.? Or, primarily or solely developing it to smoke in order to get these benefits (appetite, weight loss, insomnia, anxiety, etc.)?

It seems to me that almost all people claiming to need it for the above insist that only smoking it (maybe eating it, also) helps them (i.e., not pills or oil).

Smoking it is the firm red line for me. 

She was referring to edibles. When you eat something it is much more important to have the right dose since it takes about an hour to have any effect. When you smoke the reaction is much faster and you can gauge your reaction much more easily

13 hours ago, california boy said:

She was referring to edibles. When you eat something it is much more important to have the right dose since it takes about an hour to have any effect. When you smoke the reaction is much faster and you can gauge your reaction much more easily

It doesn't seem like those who are against cannibus really understands...:rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Jeanne said:

It doesn't seem like those who are against cannibus really understands...:rolleyes:

Cannibus?  Is this it?

image.jpeg.3e45d160454e6fb24c1dfeda7339a88d.jpeg

Sorry. :huh::unknw: 

Couldn't resist! ;):D 

Passenger: "Is it OK if I smoke a little Mary Jane on this bus?"

Driver: "Sure!  This is the CANNIBUS!"

Edited by Kenngo1969

On 4/20/2018 at 3:33 PM, california boy said:

You may be right about this.  But marijuana has been legal in one form or another in some states for decades.  I haven't heard the problems with marijuana and driving that is anything remotely compared with the problems of drunk driving.  

I think that it is telling that a lot of states who initially started with medical marijuana have moved to full access to marijuana in a tightly regulated marketplace.  If the disasters are anything like the fear mongers are trying to rake up, why are all these citizens willing to allow full legalization?  I can tell you here in California, I have seen no bad side effects when medical marijuana became legal.  And frankly I see no bad side effects since it has been legalized completely a couple of years ago.  

I'm hearing thst sutomotive accidents due to impaired driving are up in states which have decriminalized marijuana,  but not as much as expected--and, in many of these states,  cell phone use while driving may also be a factor.  

My ONLY objections to legalized MJ have been to the impaired-while-driving issue, and the health burdens which WILL become a factor for those who smoke their pot in years to come. Most of the issues which tobacco users experience are also risks which pot smokers can reasonably expect to confront. 

As a medical product, it is being used to mitigate issues for people already seriously ill. So: less of a concern.  I don't mind recreational users getting a few minutes of joy in life,  but if they rob others of joy, due to avoidable accidents caused by impaired driving; or, if they trade a few minutes of pleasure,  short term, for decades of diminished quality of life due to lung diseases, these are not fair trades. 

My thoughts. 

Edited by flameburns623

13 minutes ago, flameburns623 said:

I'm hearing thst sutomotive accidents due to impaired driving are up in states which have decriminalized marijuana,  but not as much as expected--and, in many of these states,  cell phone use while driving may also be a factor.  

My ONLY objections to legalized MJ have been to the impaired-while-driving issue, and the health burdens which WILL become a factor for those who smoke their pot in years to come. Most of the issues which tobacco users experience are also risks which pot smokers can reasonably expect to confront. 

As a medical product, it is being used to mitigate issues for people already seriously ill. So: less of a concern.  I don't mind recreational users getting a few minutes of joy in life,  but if they rob others of joy, due to avoidable accidents caused by impaired driving; or, if they trade a few minutes of pleasure,  sjort term, for decades of diminished quality of life due to lung diseases, these are not fair trades. 

My thoughts. 

I agree with you. And I can’t see why MJ users don’t use edibles and reduce their cancer risk.  Impaired driving no matter how it happens, even lack of sleep is always an issue

. I know I have driven when I was way too sleepy. I refuse to now. I would rather pull over and sleep until I feel more capable. 

16 hours ago, Calm said:

Good pitch for public transportation.  Park and puff.

Yeesh. They'll have the high bus and the low bus (the quaalude bus). 

On 20/04/2018 at 9:33 PM, california boy said:

A church acquaintance of mine who tends to be very libertarian politically (and thereby frequently annoys some of the more conservative members of his ward) used to be pro-legalization of MJ. Now that Washington state made it legal he's not so sure.  His business is landscaping, and he has had difficulties finding employees who won't come to work stoned on the stuff.  Not all his employees of course, but it happens enough that he really has his doubts now about the practicality of the new law.

I was one of those who voted to legalize it in Washington, as was my wife.  And a few other LDS of our acquaintance (including the aforementioned).  I am living in the UK now, but before I came here I didn't see any significant problems in Washington from legalized pot.  And it avoids having law enforcement waste resources trying to enforce the unenforceable.