Seriously No Politics ×

Reorganization of the Melchizedek Priesthood

27 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

The more I observe the closer to standard Christian ministers we move.  The usage of the word "ministry" is on the rise.  All MP holders will be Elders of the Church.  At this rate we'll need another restoration.

Every LDS missionary is a "minister of the Gospel."  Just like Roman Catholic priests, LDS priesthood is Melchizedek priesthood.

The stark difference which invalidates your suggestion is that LDS bishops, stake presidents, and higher officials completely lack any professional seminary training.

1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Every LDS missionary is a "minister of the Gospel."  Just like Roman Catholic priests, LDS priesthood is Melchizedek priesthood.

The stark difference which invalidates your suggestion is that LDS bishops, stake presidents, and higher officials completely lack any professional seminary training.

Yeah, we have lower standards. We'll take anyone. :D

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

I have a feeling this change is in part because of the struggles the elders quorums have in doing home teaching while the High Priests normally see most all their families every month.
That's how it is in my ward anyway.

It's not just your ward.....

4 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Yes, and we will now have rearrange the deck chairs in order to accommodate the titanic increase in Elders' Quorum members.

Well, our HP quorum was down to 6 so this is a welcome change. My spouse was very happy.

46 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

The more I observe the closer to standard Christian ministers we move.  The usage of the word "ministry" is on the rise.  All MP holders will be Elders of the Church.  At this rate we'll need another restoration.

What does the use of the word ministry have to do with anything?

16 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I wasn't sure if I heard that right or not and my response to that part is.....UGH!!!! We just reorganized a few weeks ago.

Our stake president talked to our ward’s elder quorum president and told him they aren’t releasing them. 

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

You are welcome to start your own restoration whenever you like.

Not needed.  God will put back those things that he restored through revelation to Joseph that the Church dropped administratively.  Ordinances, priesthood offices, disavowed doctrine.  Anything given to Joseph by revelation but dropped without revelation will be fixed.

Of course those things changed by revelation will stand.  But the sheer volume of things Joseph received by revelation being changed gets bigger every year.  And I  have yet to see a revelation justifying it.

Do we really think that since Pres. Nelson took office he already received a revelation to alter the quorum format listed in the D&C?

10 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Not needed.  God will put back those things that he restored through revelation to Joseph that the Church dropped administratively.  Ordinances, priesthood offices, disavowed doctrine.  Anything given to Joseph by revelation but dropped without revelation will be fixed.

Of course those things changed by revelation will stand.  But the sheer volume of things Joseph received by revelation being changed gets bigger every year.  And I  have yet to see a revelation justifying it.

Do we really think that since Pres. Nelson took office he already received a revelation to alter the quorum format listed in the D&C?

No, I think they have been discussing it and studying and praying about the matter before President Monson died and they got revelation and ran with it. So he probably got revelation both before and after he became prophet.

54 minutes ago, pogi said:

It was stated that they had been talking about this for a very long time.  President Monson must not have been a fan of the idea.

Or he was and they were waiting for conference to announce it.

Edited by The Nehor
24 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Joseph had some quick turnover iirc.

President Nelson has probably been anticipating and preparing for it for years (just diabetes was reason enough to anticipating outliving Pres. Monson).  Don't see why God would withhold it when the time came it was his stewardship if so.

Edited by Calm
44 minutes ago, Duncan said:

were I them I would kindly remind them the prophet just said that i was released and I have video proofB:)

My husband is one of the counselors and they were happy to learn they would get to stay. 

I’m assuming that the SP would have just released them and called them again, so he’s just cutting out the middle step. 

1 hour ago, pogi said:

It was stated that they had been talking about this for a very long time.  President Monson must not have been a fan of the idea.

How convenient then that the Lord gave revelation within 3 months of his passing.  Perhaps when President Nelson passes in a few years the Lord will tell his successor to change it back.

Funny how God speaks to the prophets and tells them what they wanted to do in their administrations happens to be his plan all along regardless of what their predecessors said.  And don't worry about scripture. 

Seriously, we are so up to our necks in Isaiah 24:5 we can't even see it anymore.  I picture similar announcements from the early Christian fathers.

Edited by JLHPROF
34 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I looked for a D&C revelation that expressly talked about the High Priests quorum and wasn't able to find one.  I can easily find the Elder's quorum but I'm somehow missing the High Priests Quorum.  Do you know where it is in D&C.

Also, I found it interesting that Elder Rasband quoted a revelation from John Taylor that isn't published in the D&C.

18 minutes ago, bluebell said:

My husband is one of the counselors and they were happy to learn they would get to stay. 

I’m assuming that the SP would have just released them and called them again, so he’s just cutting out the middle step. 

It seems we are in limbo, we are released but the Bishop told me to await further notice

12 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Elder Nelson stood at the bedside and watched as President Monson slipped into death. Leaping in joy he cackled. With that last breath he was in charge. Decades of patient waiting for those senior him to die but now....now he would fulfill his dream. No one can stop him now. Now he can reorganize the structure of the Melchizedek Priesthood Quorums at the Ward and Stake level and there are none to oppose. Shaking his fist at the heavens he defied God to stop his mad plan but the heavens were silent. His secret plot was revealed and no one would dare oppose.

He put on his black robes and pulled out his Bible. With surgical precision as if it were a human heart he cut out Isaiah 24:5 and cast into the fire.

Isaiah 24:5.........what law was transgressed, what ordinance has changed, and what covenant was broken?

Maybe I overreacted to the combining of quorums.  It's not like they got rid of a priesthood office  (yet).

It's the continual chipping away at things restored through Joseph that gets to me.  This one is extremely minor and mostly administrative.  Most have not been.  How much more can we change until we are no longer the restored Church but some new invention?  One tiny change at a time.