Seriously No Politics ×

Reorganization of the Melchizedek Priesthood

3 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I have a feeling this change is in part because of the struggles the elders quorums have in doing home teaching while the High Priests normally see most all their families every month.
That's how it is in my ward anyway.

That's not how it is in our ward.  

17 minutes ago, The Mean Farmer said:

GREAT move

When I was made a High Priest I went from 20 years of lackluster meetings and fledgling leadership to a new quorum filled with men who 3/4 of which had served as Bishops, High Councilors, or in Stake Presidencies over the past 15 years.

The difference was STARK and I instantly felt bad that the Elders I had left behind, realizing that the most experienced and capable men have been removed from there quorum.  

This. 👍

In my old ward in Washington state, the HP group was very strong, but the EQ wasn't weak -- nevertheless I think this will be a big improvement.  In my current ward, in the UK, our HP group is very strong, but the EQ is very weak -- so this will definitely make things much better!

I'm looking forward to it!

Up next...ward High Priests will go the way of ward seventies in the 1980s.  All melchizedek priesthood holders at the ward level will be elders.

1 minute ago, JLHPROF said:

Up next...ward High Priests will go the way of ward seventies in the 1980s.  All melchizedek priesthood holders at the ward level will be elders.

Aren't we already there?

i saw all this on my news feed a minute ago..very interesting.  It will be different maybe to have Elders in higher positions than High Priests??? But overall I guess this doesn't matter to most.

7 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Doubt it. The office of High Priest is too vital for Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies to preside. I think it will be more like Bishops, Patriarchs, and General Authority Seventies who are released. They keep the office but acted like High Priests when not serving. Now they and High Priests will just act as Elder when serving as High Priests. The ward seventies no longer had seventies-specific callings to fill. There are still High Priest callings to fulfill.

I do suspect we will see a decrease of Elders getting to 45-50+ and being ordained High Priests so they can go to class with Brethren their own age or to fill out Group Leadership positions so I do suspect we will have fewer High Priests. I was a little surprised they left the option for the Stake President to call High Priests without a required calling.

11 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I was one of the last 70's ordained in the church at the stake level. Shortly after that we got the news that all stake 70's quorums were to be discontinued.
We were sort of given a choice as to whether we wanted to join the High Priests or go into the elder's quorum. I was still very young so I went back to the elders.

6 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

I do suspect we will see a decrease of Elders getting to 45-50+ and being ordained High Priests so they can go to class with Brethren their own age or to fill out Group Leadership positions so I do suspect we will have fewer High Priests

The way it sounded to is that no one will be made a High Priest anymore simply because of age unless they are going to be in a bishopric, high council, or patriarch.

5 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Aren't we already there?

The more I observe the closer to standard Christian ministers we move.  The usage of the word "ministry" is on the rise.  All MP holders will be Elders of the Church.  At this rate we'll need another restoration.

Just now, JAHS said:

The way it sounded to is that no one will be made a High Priest anymore simply because of age unless they are going to be in a bishopric, high council, or patriarch.

He did specifically leave open the option for others selected by the Stake President which is the current policy. He was almost quoting current Handbook policy on how and when to call a High Priest. It could stay the same but there will be less of a need for High Priests to be ordained just to fill out the Group Leadership or membership.

I suspect the number called will vary by stake. Some Stake Presidents will probably go with "only when necessary" and others might ordain seasoned Priesthood holders to the office as directed by the Spirit or recommended by a Bishop. Both styles are completely within their prerogative.

5 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

The more I observe the closer to standard Christian ministers we move.  The usage of the word "ministry" is on the rise.  All MP holders will be Elders of the Church.  At this rate we'll need another restoration.

You are welcome to start your own restoration whenever you like.

Edited by The Nehor
8 minutes ago, Que said:

Patriarch is an ordained Melchizedek Priesthood office... I don't believe being a High Priest has ever been a prerequisite to being ordained a Patriarch...

It is not a prerequisite but patriarchs previously attended the High Priest Group and were considered part of the High Priest Quorum.

Fun Fact: Patriarchs cannot be called to many High Priest positions like Bishop, member of the High Council, or Stake President without special approval from the Apostles even if they are not acting as a Patriarch.