Seriously No Politics ×

Reorganization of the Melchizedek Priesthood

For those not watching High Priests and Elders will not longer be meeting separately. High Priests will basically operate as Elders even though they retain their office. Elder's Quorum Presidencies will consist of both High Priests and Elders and neither inherently presides within the quorum.

Those operating in High Priest callings (Stake Presidencies, Bishoprics, High Council, and an active Patriarch) will make up the Stake High Priest Quorum.

This is a big relief for me. We were short on High Priests in our ward and were having a hard time keeping the High Priest Group working.

This will help a lot wards weaker in Priesthood numbers and free up four more Melchizedek Priesthood holders for other callings.

Still not Established:

When possible the High Priest Group was specifically responsible for the Home Teaching of Single Sisters. I am not sure if that will still be the responsibility of High Priests in the Quorum or just assigned generally now.

Also:

Several apostles are assigned to speak on the topic which may have been what was said about assigned talks this conference.

Edited by The Nehor
1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

For those not watching High Priests and Elders will not longer be meeting separately. High Priests will basically operate as Elders even though they retain their office. Elder's Quorum Presidencies will consist of both High Priests and Elders and neither inherently presides within the quorum.

Those operating in High Priest callings (Stake Presidencies, Bishoprics, High Council, and an active Patriarch) will make up the Stake High Priest Quorum.

This is a big relief for me. We were short on High Priests in our ward and were having a hard time keeping the High Priest Group working.

This will help a lot wards weaker in Priesthood numbers and free up four more Melchizedek Priesthood holders for other callings.

Still not Established:

When possible the High Priest Group was specifically responsible for the Home Teaching of Single Sisters. I am not sure if that will still be the responsibility of High Priests in the Quorum or just assigned generally now.

That’s interesting. We have quite a few high priests in our ward, plus a large elders quorum. It’s going to be a big meeting. 

1 minute ago, jkwilliams said:

That’s interesting. We have quite a few high priests in our ward, plus a large elders quorum. It’s going to be a big meeting. 

I know in our ward we could not all fit in the same room. 

4 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

I wonder if I need to prepare my class now, I know the Elders have a teacher, so who gets released? I would get rid of that Papa guy! 

5 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Just announced that if you have a large enough Melchizedek Priesthood group you can split the Elder's Quorum (presumably based approximately on the 96 member max given in the D&C).

Just now, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

I wonder if I need to prepare my class now, I know the Elders have a teacher, so who gets released? I would get rid of that Papa guy! 

Your High Priest Group Leader should let you know based on whether the Stake President does the releases next week.

My stake has stake conference next week. If they are smart they will release all the High Priest Group Leadership there to make sure it gets done all at once. This is awesome!!!! We were trying to push names on the Stake President to get more High Priests to keep the Group functioning. Problem mitigated. :) 

4 minutes ago, pogi said:

He just announced that there can be more then 1 elders quorum in a single ward.

That's always been the case but there's not enough in our ward to split us up into two quorums but too many to be in one room.
I guess we will work it out somehow.

Just now, JAHS said:

That's always been the case but there's not enough in our ward to split us up into two quorums but too many to be in one room.

No more empty seats between everyone. Have to be more like Relief Society.

2 minutes ago, JAHS said:

I’ve been in a ward with two elders quorums. 

I have a feeling this change is in part because of the struggles the elders quorums have in doing home teaching while the High Priests normally see most all their families every month.
That's how it is in my ward anyway.

Just now, JAHS said:

I have a feeling this change is in part because of the struggles the elders quorums have in doing home teaching while the High Priests normally see most all their families every month.
That's how it is in my ward anyway.

Maybe. We haven’t had home teachers since we moved here 5 years ago. The high priests group leader emails once in a while, but no home teachers. I know my wife misses them.