sunstoned

MormonLeaks: Former Mormon Mission President Admitting to Inappropriate Interactions with Women

Just now, juliann said:

Someone who has trouble controlling his sexual thoughts to the point he and his son call it an addiction is out of his depth being anywhere around women.

Indeed. If anything, the son’s statements make me less inclined to believe Bishop did nothing amiss. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smac97 said:

How can you to point to this newspaper article 41 years after it was published and call it evidence of misconduct against Joseph Bishop?  I havea surmise as to how, but I'd like to hear your explanation.

If so, where is your evidence for that?

-Smac

I called it corroboration of the same accusation by the women's dean who sued, and who you also dismissed as unreliable. 

1 minute ago, juliann said:

Someone who has trouble controlling his sexual thoughts to the point he and his son call it an addiction is out of his depth being anywhere around women.

His son is definitely making me wonder.

Just now, Calm said:

His son is definitely making me wonder.

Yup, this genius has now confirmed that his father has uncontrolled sexual urges and gives inappropriate "back rubs"  while he is being accused of sexual assault. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, juliann said:

I called it corroboration of the same accusation by the women's dean who sued, and who you also dismissed as unreliable. 

Corroboration?  How on earth do you get that?  The article says there was insufficient evidence to indict.  The article says that Bishop was the one who requested tha the AG's office investigate the issue.

And where did I dismiss the woman who gave the 1980 interview as "unreliable?"  CFR, chapter and verse, please.

Thanks,

-Smac

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calm said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/crime/article/Former-Mormon-mission-president-accused-of-sexual-12771646.php

"Greg Bishop said there was no sexual assault and that the woman exposed her breasts to his father, unsolicited, during the encounter in the office in 1984. He said his father was apologizing in the recorded conversation for anything he did to make her feel like she could do that."

It's a Christmas miracle, his memory returned!

Surprise, surprise, it turns out he was really the victim after all of these years.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, juliann said:

MormonLeaks has destroyed his father's reputation.  I can understand him feeling the need to disclose things that would otherwise not be appropriate for public consumption.  He and his father are in extraordinary circumstances.

And not one word for what is being done to the woman who we know nothing about aside from the possibly libelous comments of his unbelievably stupid son. 

What malarky.  You are faulting me for not saying something?  Something satisfactory to your subjective self?  Something you deem appropriate?  Give me a break.

Is there any pleasing you?  Ever?

-Smac

24 minutes ago, smac97 said:

MormonLeaks has destroyed his father's reputation. 

I don't think one should blame the messenger here. Bishop's words and deeds did the job.

5 minutes ago, Exiled said:

I don't think one should blame the messenger here. Bishop's words and deeds did the job.

Wikileaks shoulders the blame. They took a troubled woman and exposed her to scorn and ridicule and threads like this one. They are little different from any other abuser of women.

33 minutes ago, juliann said:

Mental and emotional issues can manifest in all sorts of unexpected/unanticipated ways.

Thanks,

-Smac

Like not being able to control your sexual "thoughts" while in the midst of young women and giving "back rubs" that get frisky? 

Yes, actually.  Like that.  Ever heard of confabulation?  Or how about any of these topics:

Do you have some sort of sure-fire way of detecting accuracy in remarks made by an 85-year old man who was possibly under the influence of medication? Who was lured into a private, one-on-one "interview" under false pretenses? Who was confronted by an aggressive and angry person who repeatedly reminds him that she had threatened to murder him, and who made explosive accusations against him and demanded that he immediately apologize for them?  How do you propose to measure the honesty of statements made under such circumstances?

And would we be having a discussion at all like this if the genders were reversed?  If a middle-aged man had used false pretenses to lure an 85-year old woman recovering from a heart attack into a private, one-on-one "interview," only to then switch gears, angrily and profanely and aggressively question and accuse the old woman, accuse her of horrible behavior, remind her repeatedly that he had previouslythreatened to murder her, and demand that she admit to the accusation and apologize for them?

I think . . . no, we would not be having a discussion with the tone and tenor of this thread.

And I think I know why.

-Smac

11 minutes ago, Exiled said:

MormonLeaks has destroyed his father's reputation. 

So you would have no qualms with this woman's identity being publicly disclosed?  With her (purported) criminal background being published to the world?  With her name being linked to everything in that private conversation?

-Smac

4 minutes ago, smac97 said:

So you would have no qualms with this woman's identity being publicly disclosed?  With her (purported) criminal background being published to the world?  With her name being linked to everything in that private conversation?

-Smac

Why do you think it has to be so black and white?  Just because her recording was disclosed, the other information must be disclosed? I seem to be smelling some straw.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-official-admits-to-police-he-asked-missionary-to-expose-breasts-in-private-mtc-room

According to a police report from Dec. 2017, as part of an investigation of the alleged rape, Joseph told detectives that he went with the woman to a small "preparation room" in the cafeteria area of the MTC "and while talking with her, asked her to show him her breasts, which she did."

Edited by jkwilliams
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, juliann said:

Wikileaks shoulders the blame. They took a troubled woman and exposed her to scorn and ridicule and threads like this one. They are little different from any other abuser of women.

How do you know that the woman didn't want the publication but says otherwise to protect herself from a wrongful defamation lawsuit?  If you listen to the recording, she wanted to go public.  Do you think whistle-blowers or investigative reporters should be punished for telling the truth?  Should the organs that published the Harvey Weinstein crimes be punished as well?  Surely the first of those who exposed Harvey Weinstein faced a difficult road until others joined in.  Mormonleaks merely published the recording and transcript so we can decide what happened and discuss the issue.  Don't we need organizations like this so we can discover the hidden workings of organizations bent on secrecy?    

13 minutes ago, Exiled said:

-Smac

Why do you think it has to be so black and white?  Just because her recording was disclosed, the other information must be disclosed? I seem to be smelling some straw.

I think the woman's reputation will take a significant hit.  Her criminal background, previously obscured, would become a point of popular discussion.  Her status as a (purported) victim of sexual assault would become widely known.  Her name would be publicly tied to her murder threats.  Everything she disclosed about herself and her life and her family in that "interview" would become fodder for public discussion.

It's odd that I am more concerned about her welfare than you are.

Thanks,

-Smac

5 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-official-admits-to-police-he-asked-missionary-to-expose-breasts-in-private-mtc-room

According to a police report from Dec. 2017, as part of an investigation of the alleged rape, Joseph told detectives that he went with the woman to a small "preparation room" in the cafeteria area of the MTC "and while talking with her, asked her to show him her breasts, which she did."

Maybe this guy shouldn't be so vigorously defended?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

There you go.  With this in mind either 1. He was not disciplined by the church at the time, or 2. he needs to be disciplined now.  Either way, it is sad.

• Like 1

Just now, smac97 said:

I think the woman's reputation will take a significant hit.  Her criminal background, previously obscured, would become a point of popular discussion.  Her status as a (purported) victim of sexual assault would become widely known.  Her name would be publicly tied to her murder threats.  Everything she disclosed about herself and her life and her family in that "interview" would become fodder for public discussion.

Thanks,

-Smac

Given that he admitted to the police asking her to expose her breasts, I don’t think her reputation is an issue. 

Just now, smac97 said:

Thanks,

-Smac

I am sure you will be front and center in destroying her reputation, because one must defend the faith, even if a lech gets caught.  But of course mormonleaks made you do it?

Did you see the KUTV article JK just posted?

2 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Given that he admitted to the police asking her to expose her breasts, I don’t think her reputation is an issue. 

He was obviously suffering from selective dementia at the time of the interrogation.

3 minutes ago, Exiled said:

How do you know that the woman didn't want the publication but says otherwise to protect herself from a wrongful defamation lawsuit? 

So you are accusing her of lying?  On what basis?

If you listen to the recording, she wanted to go public. 

And yet she has stated that she didn't authorize WikiLeaks to publish her "interview."  Why should we trust your sheer speculation over her plain statement?

Do you think whistle-blowers or investigative reporters should be punished for telling the truth? 

Depends.  Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  But in the present case, this woman stands to be "punished" in the court of public opinion due to things she said and did in the "interview" but did not authorize to be published.

Should the organs that published the Harvey Weinstein crimes be punished as well?  Surely the first of those who exposed Harvey Weinstein faced a difficult road until others joined in. 

I'm not sure what sort of "punishment" you mean here.

Mormonleaks merely published the recording and transcript so we can decide what happened and discuss the issue. 

MormonLeaks published sensitive private information about a woman who, it seems, is a very troubled soul.  And it did so without her permission.

And you . . . are okay with this?

Don't we need organizations like this so we can discover the hidden workings of organizations bent on secrecy?    

I'll be interested in seeing your response if ever sensitive and embarrassing details of your life are published to the world without your consent.

I doubt you'd be so cavalier about unauthorized publication of private information when your proverbial ox is being gored.

Thanks,

-Smac

Just now, Exiled said:

He was obviously suffering from selective dementia at the time of the interrogation.

It would explain why the county attorney said he would have prosecuted if the statute of limitations hadn’t run out. 

Makes me wonder what the son was thinking. Bishop was on record admitting what the son later denied. 

1 hour ago, smac97 said:

MormonLeaks has destroyed his father's reputation.  I can understand him feeling the need to disclose things that would otherwise not be appropriate for public consumption.  He and his father are in extraordinary circumstances.

I don't get this.  "It seems convenient" is just a snide way of saying "I don't believe he has dementia."  Well, then just say that.

BTW, do we have a source for Bro. Bishop's purported dementia?

I don't understand this.  What are you suggesting here?

33 years later?  Not likely.

This is why we have statutes of limitation.

I'm not sure we really want the LDS Church, as a religious organization, running what essentially amounts to a criminal investigation.

Thanks,

-Smac

I agree with you about ML. People are saying he has dementia so I was going on what they are saying , if he doesn't have dementia and this interview is reliable and confessed to all this stuff then he should be exed. I was told on here that the we shouldn't rely on the Holy Ghost and church leaders don't seek God's guidance in church matters or at least this matter, so if that's true what they are saying, what point is there for investigating? If they've come this far and come up with nothing then what would it hurt if they relied on the Holy Ghost which promises truth? Can we rely on the Holy Ghost to help in real world matters or can't we?

if he is as sick as people say he is then I don't know what good exing him would do other than to send a message to others that your sin will surely find you out and you can't hide from God.

Edited by Duncan