Seriously No Politics ×

Returning to Jerusalem

I was reading Mosiah Chapter 10 where it talks about the Lamanites being home-sick and wishing their ancestors weren't compelled to leave Jerusalem.  And it got me wondering.  Is it possible that any of the Lamanites or even the Nephites made any attempts to sail back to the Old World.  If the Jaredites, Lehites, and Mulekites could make it across the ocean to America, than surely some of them would have the had  thought trying to return.  Do we have any evidences of cross-oceanic voyages from the New World to the Old?

1 hour ago, Rivers said:

I was reading Mosiah Chapter 10 where it talks about the Lamanites being home-sick and wishing their ancestors weren't compelled to leave Jerusalem.  And it got me wondering.  Is it possible that any of the Lamanites or even the Nephites made any attempts to sail back to the Old World.  If the Jaredites, Lehites, and Mulekites could make it across the ocean to America, than surely some of them would have the had  thought trying to return.  Do we have any evidences of cross-oceanic voyages from the New World to the Old?

Maybe this:

http://www.faculty.ucr.edu/~legneref/ethnic/mummy.htm

"The recent findings of cocaine, nicotine, and hashish in Egyptian mummies by Balabanova et. al. have been  criticized on grounds that: contamination of the mummies may have occurred, improper techniques may have been used, chemical decomposition may have produced the compounds in question, recent mummies of drug users were mistakenly evaluated, that no similar cases are known of such compounds in long-dead bodies, and especially that pre-Columbian transoceanic voyages are highly speculative.  These criticisms are each discussed in turn.  Balabanova et. al. are shown to have used and confirmed their findings with accepted methods.  The possibility of the compounds being byproducts of decomposition is shown to be without precedent and highly unlikely.  The possibility that the researchers made evaluations from  faked mummies of recent drug users is shown to be highly unlikely in almost all cases.  Several additional cases of identified American drugs in mummies are discussed.  Additionally, it is shown that significant evidence exists for contact with the Americas in pre-Columbian times.  It is determined that the original findings are supported by substantial evidence despite the initial criticisms."

Edited by Calm
2 hours ago, Rivers said:

The distribution of the South America sweet potato through the Pacific and into Southeast Asia is the most convincing. 

NPR: how The Sweet Potato Crossed The Pacific Way Before The Europeans Did

Michael Coe has suggested pre-Columbian contact between the Maya and the Khmer of Cambodia. The evidence seems to point to Austronesians showing up, dropping off chickens, blowguns and barkcloth and returning with sweet potatoes, temple designs ... and lamanites?  

Edited by Rajah Manchou

Well there's this:

3 Nephi 1:2 And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.
3 Then he departed out of the land, and whither he went, no man knoweth; and his son Nephi did keep the records in his stead, yea, the record of this people.

And

Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
            2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

4 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Well there's this:

3 Nephi 1:2 And Nephi, the son of Helaman, had departed out of the land of Zarahemla, giving charge unto his son Nephi, who was his eldest son, concerning the plates of brass, and all the records which had been kept, and all those things which had been kept sacred from the departure of Lehi out of Jerusalem.
3 Then he departed out of the land, and whither he went, no man knoweth; and his son Nephi did keep the records in his stead, yea, the record of this people.

And

Matthew 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judæa in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
            2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

And they brought gifts of cocaine, nicotine, and hashish.

9 hours ago, Rivers said:

Well, if we could find any kind of extra-BOM evidence for the existence of the Jaredites, Lehites, Nephites or Mulekites that would be the first step.....

20 hours ago, Rivers said:

Why would anyone be homesick for a place that was never their home?  By Mosiah 10 the Lehites have been in the Americas for several hundred years.  I never get homesick for the Germany or England that my ancestors left 300+ years ago. 

Edited by ksfisher
On 2018-03-16 at 11:44 AM, ksfisher said:

Why would anyone be homesick for a place that was never their home?  By Mosiah 10 the Lehites have been in the Americas for several hundred years.  I never get homesick for the Germany or England that my ancestors left 300+ years ago. 

Perhaps they shared some of what drives Diaspora Jews to say "Next year in Jerusalem".

Edited by Calm
On 3/16/2018 at 11:44 AM, ksfisher said:

As to northern Europe, I wanted to see the land of my fathers, and still do, after seeing it quite a bit. So did my parents and most of my siblings.

Edited by hagoth7
On 3/16/2018 at 11:17 AM, snowflake said:

Well, if we could find any kind of extra-BOM evidence for the existence of the Jaredites, Lehites, Nephites or Mulekites that would be the first step.....

Nephites in Europe.

There is plenty of evidence for them there.

Second step?

On 3/16/2018 at 1:58 AM, Rivers said:

https://www.amazon.com/Pre-Columbian-Contact-Americas-Across-Oceans/dp/0934893217/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521567449&sr=8-1&keywords=sorenson+precolumbian