Seriously No Politics ×

President Nelson Speaks to Young Adults in Las Vegas - Feb 17, 2018

President Nelson spoke on Saturday (17-Feb-2018) to young adults in Las Vegas.  Some of his remarks are generating a lot of social media feedback but what little is provided in the Mormon Newsroom report (linked below) doesn't really provide a lot of context.  Opening this thread in the hope that when the full transcript is published, assuming it is published, someone will post it here.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-nelson-las-vegas-millennials

Some don't appear to be too happy with the phrase the Trib decided to headline:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/02/19/satan-temps-us-to-love-as-we-should-not-love-lds-prophet-russell-m-nelson-warns-mormon-millennials/

add-on:  some are interpreting it to say gay feelings in and of themselves are sinful as they believe they are being defined as temptations from Satan by Pres. Nelson.

Edited by Calm
12 minutes ago, Calm said:

Satan tempts people to be gay?  That seems to be the interpretation of that phrase.  It’s too bad he included that as I see the rest of what is quoted to be really good.  I hope that’s not what he meant and people are just misunderstanding.  Otherwise we’re back to the incorrect thinking that God wouldn’t create someone who is gay.  It has to come from Satan.

12 minutes ago, kiwi57 said:

No.

Satan doesn't tempt anyone to be anything.

Satan tempts people to do things.

There is a difference, you know.

I said that “seems to be the interpretation” (by some who heard him speak or read his words).  Read the comments and you’ll see that’s true.

I did not say that’s what I believe, did I?

Edited by JulieM
8 hours ago, JulieM said:

I said that “seems to be the interpretation” (by some who heard him speak or read his words).  Read the comments and you’ll see that’s true.

I did not say that’s what I believe, did I?

No, you said "That seems to be the interpretation of that phrase."

Not "how some people interpret it," but "the interpretation," simpliciter.

I'm not arguing with you about what you meant; you obviously know what you meant, and I have no reason to disbelieve you.

But after saying that, then you immediately added:

"It’s too bad he included that as I see the rest of what is quoted to be really good."

It's too bad he included - what?

Please note that for the small and dwindling band of believing Latter-day Saints in this forum, we don't have prophets and apostles to tell us what we could find out just by agreeing with the prevailing winds of society. We have prophets and apostles to keep us in the strait and narrow path.

Poster removed: another insult

14 minutes ago, kiwi57 said:

It’s too bad he included that as I see the rest of what is quoted to be really good."

It's too bad he included - what?

The phrase that is being interpreted in a negative manner (“He tempts us ....to love as we should not love.”).  

You can disagree, but I think it’s too bad he didn’t just leave that part off if some are having such a negative reaction to those few words since the rest of his talk that’s quoted is really good.

Edited by JulieM

Seems to me that the quote in the article is far more likely have been about all of the heterosexual behavior outside of marriage that our world is currently swamped in (and that has been responsible for much of the selfishness, abortions, marriage collapses and other family breakdown):  why are people deciding it is about same gender attraction at all? 

8 hours ago, rockpond said:

President Nelson spoke on Saturday (17-Feb-2018) to young adults in Las Vegas.  Some of his remarks are generating a lot of social media feedback but what little is provided in the Mormon Newsroom report (linked below) doesn't really provide a lot of context.  Opening this thread in the hope that when the full transcript is published, assuming it is published, someone will post it here.

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/president-nelson-las-vegas-millennials

I invite you to post the full transcript when it is published, assuming it is published.

7 hours ago, Calm said:

Some don't appear to be too happy with the phrase the Trib decided to headline:

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/02/19/satan-temps-us-to-love-as-we-should-not-love-lds-prophet-russell-m-nelson-warns-mormon-millennials/

add-on:  some are interpreting it to say gay feelings in and of themselves are sinful as they believe they are being defined as temptations from Satan by Pres. Nelson.

I think the Church Newsroom article is a far better example of professional journalism.

7 hours ago, JulieM said:

Yes, those comments confirm many interpreted that part of his talk to mean exactly what you state (unfortunately).  I'm hoping a full transcript will come out and maybe we can see more context here. 

Here's the quote under discussion (from the Salt Lake Tribune):

Satan turns natural human appetites into desires and actions that derail the best of spiritual intentions, Nelson warned young adults who had gathered at four Las Vegas-area LDS meetinghouses for a “fireside.”

“These appetites are absolutely essential for the perpetuation of life. So, what does the adversary do?” Nelson asked. “He attacks us through our appetites. He tempts us to eat things we should not eat, to drink things we should not drink, and to love as we should not love.”

6 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

So whether or not he had LGBT "love" in mind when he made that statement it is reasonable to think that he did. In which case it can seem quite offensive if people are told their love is counterfeit or a deception of Satan. 

I'm currently reading the Gospels in the New Testament.  I am particularly struck this go around, at how many people were offended at what Jesus did and said; even of those closest to him.  I even found myself, with furrowed brow, bristling at things he said. So yeah, it's going to happen. It aught to happen as darkness tries to comprehend light. 

I'm continually learning, that, of the things we encounter in life that make us uncomfortable, to not automatically default to the conclusion that the thing must be necessarily wrong or faulty. It's still a work in progress.

31 minutes ago, Senator said:

I'm currently reading the Gospels in the New Testament.  I am particularly struck this go around, at how many people were offended at what Jesus did and said; even of those closest to him.  I even found myself, with furrowed brow, bristling at things he said. So yeah, it's going to happen. It aught to happen as darkness tries to comprehend light. 

I'm continually learning, that, of the things we encounter in life that make us uncomfortable, to not automatically default to the conclusion that the thing must be necessarily wrong or faulty. It's still a work in progress.

On the other hand, I can think of a half dozen entertainers who are famous for being offensive. I don't think being offended by something is a sign that one is hearing the gospel truth. Not that I think this is your position, just saying, one can be offended by both true and false statements.