Seriously No Politics ×

An Inspired Constitution? (Needs a rewrite.j

The Electoral College was supposed to prevent the election of a conman like Trump. The Second Amendment was supposed to help make the nation secure; instead it has made going to school dangeroous. An inspired  Constitution? Perhaps, but that does not mean every element therein is scripture. I am pretty sure God doesn’t consider any of His children to be worth 3/5s of other children.  We are a fallen people living in a wicked land on a fallen world, and we think guns are a good idea? And now I see where Utah is considering suing California because we’re sick of the dirty air and dirty water in the Golden State. Say What?  And Mitt wants to represent Utah? Why not? Hatch was a carperbagger too!

Do we still belive we are supposed to be good stewards of the Earth? Are we supposed to turn the other cheek? Are we supposed to submit to the Lord,  or trust in the might of our guns?

If the States were to call a Constitutional convention today, and IF any inspiration could get through, would the Constution today look like the one “insipred” in the 19th Century? If not, what would look different?

1 hour ago, Mark Beesley said:

The Electoral College was supposed to prevent the election of a conman like Trump. The Second Amendment was supposed to help make the nation secure; instead it has made going to school dangeroous. An inspired  Constitution? Perhaps, but that does not mean every element therein is scripture. I am pretty sure God doesn’t consider any of His children to be worth 3/5s of other children.  We are a fallen people living in a wicked land on a fallen world, and we think guns are a good idea? And now I see where Utah is considering suing California because we’re sick of the dirty air and dirty water in the Golden State. Say What?  And Mitt wants to represent Utah? Why not? Hatch was a carperbagger too!

Do we still belive we are supposed to be good stewards of the Earth? Are we supposed to turn the other cheek? Are we supposed to submit to the Lord,  or trust in the might of our guns?

If the States were to call a Constitutional convention today, and IF any inspiration could get through, would the Constution today look like the one “insipred” in the 19th Century? If not, what would look different?

The Constitution was also inspired to include a process to adapt it to the needs of the people over the years.  It can be changed.

As for the "3/5 compromise", are you suggesting that slaves should have counted as a whole person?

We have an open canon to help us deal with deviations from the Constitution, which is not an open canon. I think this is why D&C 101:77-80 aays things like: "should be maintained ...according to just and holy principles; That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment..."; and  why Joseph Smith prayed for it (D&C 109:54-57).

21 minutes ago, CV75 said:

We have an open canon to help us deal with deviations from the Constitution, which is not an open canon. I think this is why D&C 101:77-80 aays things like: "should be maintained ...according to just and holy principles; That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment..."; and  why Joseph Smith prayed for it (D&C 109:54-57).

As far as I can tell, the Constitution is more "open" than the LDS scriptural canon.

If the states tried to write a constitution today they would NEVER accomplish it.  No one is will to compromise, few care to seek the guidance of God, and everyone believes they hold the moral high ground.  The country would implode while everyone blamed everyone else for not agreeing with them. 

5 minutes ago, cinepro said:

As far as I can tell, the Constitution is more "open" than the LDS scriptural canon.

We edit our scriptures. The Constitution is only rarely edited and requires a lot more rigmarole.

I am in favor of abolishing the Electoral College. Its design came from a neat pathological though justifiable fear of the people’s incompetence. It serves now only to fixate campaigns and issues on the needs of those silly swing states and the original idea of an elected intelligentsia gathering to select the President is dead and not coming back. It really never existed.

The Electoral College is an anachronism. A naive and idealistic idea that needs to die.

2 hours ago, Mark Beesley said:

The Electoral College was supposed to prevent the election of a conman like Trump.

No, it was designed to make sure that all states were represented in an election.

And do we need to talk about ALL the con-men and con-women that have ran?

I see this thread being closed rather quickly.

I thought this 2015 article might be appropriate to this thread (insofar as this thread touches on what we can do to reduce/avoid public sphere violence):

THERE’S A WAY TO STOP MASS SHOOTINGS, AND YOU WON’T LIKE IT.

There’s a Way to Stop Mass Shootings, and You Won’t Like It.

That’s right. You’re not going to like it because it’s going to require you to do something personally, as opposed to shouting for the government, or anyone to “do something!”

You ready? Here it is:

“Notice those around you who seem isolated, and engage them.”

If every one of us did this we’d have a culture that was deeply committed to ensuring no one was left lonely. And make no mistake, as I’ve written before loneliness is what causes these shooters to lash out. People with solid connections to other people don’t indiscriminately fire guns at strangers.

I know what you’re thinking. That’s never going to work because no one is going to make the effort to connect with the strange kid sitting by himself at lunch each day. No one is going to reach out to the gawky, awkward guy at work and ask him about his weekend.

You’re probably right and that’s an absolute shame.

Because I can tell you the things that aren’t going to work in this country when it comes to stopping these heinous acts. But they seem to be all anyone says, when inevitably, another person comes forward to inflict their tortured pain on innocent people.

1. Ban All Guns! – Due to the reading of the 2nd amendment and the precedents established by recent Supreme Court cases, this isn’t going anywhere. You’d need an amendment to the Constitution and there will NEVER be 30+ states willing to overturn it. Never mind the multitude of good reasons for its existence, no amount of outrage will overturn it so let’s just stop.
  2. Ban All Guns! (pt. 2) – Assuming you actually could overturn the 2nd and outlaw every firearm in the country, then you’d have to go out and get them. Famously, there are more guns than people in the U.S. You couldn’t come close to collecting them all. Further, if Prohibition and the War on Drugs have taught us anything it’s that those intent on breaking the law are going to do just that. Laws be damned.
  3. Ban Scary Guns Like the AR-15! – Fully auto weapons are already banned*. Most of these shootings occur with a handgun, plain and simple, and these aren’t going anywhere. Murder is illegal, and that doesn’t seem to stop these individuals from performing these atrocious acts. Do you think if there was a ban on shotguns that would stop them?
  4. Keep Them Out of the Hands of Bad People! – Felons are prohibited from owing a firearm already. But let’s not forget, the overwhelming majority of these mass shootings aren’t done by criminals and their guns were obtained legally. How can you know who is going to do something like this? You can’t.
  5. Do Something About Mental Health! – Cool. Yeah. So, like, free psychologists visits for everyone? Even if you could, the people that have done this haven’t been mentally ill, by and large. And, let’s not forget that medical records are private. Would you endorse mandatory psych screening for everyone and those records being sent to the government? Maybe just those who wish to own a gun? Remember, not every person who has engaged in a mass shooting has owned the gun they performed the act with. This is a complete non-starter of an issue with an insane price tag that does nothing to actually keep a person committed to violence from putting their hands on a gun.
  6. Do… SOMETHING! – Gotcha. What do you want to do? “SOMETHING!” Ok, what do you have in mind? “I DON’T KNOW! BUT SOMEONE NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING!” Sure. Agreed. But what? Even Obama has had to say in his latest speech how routine it’s become.

If you can’t tell by this point in the list, there is NOTHING the government or any other organization can do to prevent these events.

You can’t effectively keep drugs out of the hands of those intent on doing drugs. You can’t keep beer out of the hands of high schoolers intent on getting beer. You have a HUGE supply of weapons everywhere and concrete federal law protecting those weapons. You’d have as much luck passing regulation against tornadoes. It would be equally as effective.

So there it is. The god’s honest truth. No entity can do anything meaningful (more than is presently being done) to thwart a disaffected person hell-bent on committing such an act.

But you can.

Demonstrating concern for our fellow man by reaching out and interacting.  As preventive medicine.

Sounds good.

Thanks,

-Smac

58 minutes ago, cinepro said:

The OP is about inspired changes. The Constitution does allow for amendments, but these aren't required to be inspired, as say, when the Lord suffered the original to be established. Still, constitutional amendments do reflect the validity of the higher law in that they are they result from honoring and protecting the moral agency and accountability the Lord prioritized. As a result, out of 11,000 attempts, we have 27 amendments.

As far as our canon goes, it is open in that the authoritative word of God is not contained in the Bible alone (as i understand the origin of the term). Not only does the authoritative word of God include latter-day canonized scripture, but inspired pronouncements by the Lord's servants (D&C 68:4). But just stacking up the Book of Mormon, D&C and Pearl of Great Price, I think we might find more "amendments" to the original Biblical canon than the original U.S. Constitution has for amendments. Since an open canon means we don't have to refer to canonized chapter and verse for every little thing we do to minister, the additional inspired pronouncements availed to the servants of God, including  any elder in duly authorized service, are innumerable.

30 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

No, Crazy people make going to school dangerous.

If a drunk driver kills a car load of teenagers, we blame the driver. We don't blame the car, or, Chevy or Ford, or, even Budweiser or Jack Daniels. When the Boston Bombers set off their bombs, we blamed them, not pressure cookers or manufacturers of same. When the terrorists flew jets into the WTC and Pentagon, we didn't blame the 767 or Boeing. Why is the natural knee jerk reaction to a shooting to blame the item used? More people are killed in car wrecks than with guns, yet there are more guns than cars, but, I don't see people calling for the government to take away my truck.

America is the only country that regularly has mass shootings. It's the guns.

1 hour ago, The Nehor said:

We edit our scriptures. The Constitution is only rarely edited and requires a lot more rigmarole.

I am in favor of abolishing the Electoral College. Its design came from a neat pathological though justifiable fear of the people’s incompetence. It serves now only to fixate campaigns and issues on the needs of those silly swing states and the original idea of an elected intelligentsia gathering to select the President is dead and not coming back. It really never existed.

The Electoral College is an anachronism. A naive and idealistic idea that needs to die.

The electoral college guarantees that the needs of those who don't live in cities and on the coasts of the country are also taken into consideration.  Removing it would essentially make those people voiceless.  The discord and riots that would happen by symbolically disenfranchising a huge area of the United States would be devastating.  

34 minutes ago, bluebell said:

How is gun ownership going down (it's height was in the late 70s and 80s) but mass shootings going up if the problem is the guns?

It hasn't changed much per capita, but of course actual guns owned are going up and up with population.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249740/percentage-of-households-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/

And of course easy access to military grade assault rifles facilitates mass shootings.

1 minute ago, Gray said:

It hasn't changed much per capita, but of course actual guns owned are going up and up with population.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/249740/percentage-of-households-in-the-united-states-owning-a-firearm/

And of course easy access to military grade assault rifles facilitates mass shootings.

Right now the percentage is 42%. In the 70s and 80s it was higher. So it’s been going down while mass shootings go up. 

That doesn’t seem like good correlation. 

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Right now the percentage is 42%. In the 70s and 80s it was higher. So it’s been going down while mass shootings go up. 

That doesn’t seem like good correlation. 

It hasn't gone consistently up or down. It's pretty similar to what it was in the 70s. Of course the big difference is access to assault weapons. And of course easy access to weapons for unstable persons with violent tendencies.

The actual number of guns in the US has gone steadily up. And we have the most guns per capita of any nation - it's not even close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estimated_number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819576527

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

4 hours ago, Mark Beesley said:

So much of politics and histrionics in this post and so little of reasoned discourse.

And I agree that, given the nature of the OP,  this thread is destined not to last long.

2 minutes ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Short of hiring full-time, armed security, place a critical mass in each school of faculty/staff who have concealed-carry permits.

Ok, any other suggestions?  This last school shooting a teacher was willing to die for their students, maybe some faculty would be willing to conceal/carry? 

38 minutes ago, snowflake said:

How would you suggest we stop these school shootings?

Australia used to have a problem with lots of shootings. They instituted strict gun control laws and rigidly enforced them and shootings are now very rare. 

Just a thunk.

Edited by The Nehor
2 minutes ago, snowflake said:

Ok, any other suggestions?  This last school shooting a teacher was willing to die for their students, maybe some faculty would be willing to conceal/carry? 

Unless they are trained shooters that is unlikely to help. It is unlikely there will be enough time between the beginning of an attack and the bulk of the casualties occurring for the teacher to get the weapon, remove the safety, aim, and fire in time to do much good. Even that assumes they have the iron discipline to react methodically despite people dying around them and can do it in a way the shooter will not see and react to and that the armed teacher or teachers are close enough to react. Then I give them an equal chance of hitting the shooter and creating another victim.

4 hours ago, Mark Beesley said:

When we in the Church speak of the U.S. Constitution having been divinely inspired, it is ordinarily in the context of the following scriptural passages:

5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.

6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land;

7 And as pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil.

8 I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free.

9 Nevertheless, when the wicked rule the people mourn.

10 Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil.

(Doctrine and Covenants 98:5-10)

76 And again I say unto you, those who have been scattered by their enemies, it is my will that they should continue to importune for redress, and redemption, by the hands of those who are placed as rulers and are in authority over you—

77 According to the laws and constitution of the people, which I have suffered to be established, and should be maintained for the rights and protection of all flesh, according to just and holy principles;

78 That every man may act in doctrine and principle pertaining to futurity, according to the moral agency which I have given unto him, that every man may be accountable for his own sins in the day of judgment.

79 Therefore, it is not right that any man should be in bondage one to another.

80 And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood.

(Doctrine and Covenants 101:76-80)

Thus, the scriptures don't say that every jot, tittle, comma and period in the U.S. Constitution is divinely inspired. Rather, what is inspired are the fundamental principles that ensure "the rights and protection of all flesh according to just and holy principles," that safeguard representative government that is, in the words of Abraham Lincoln, "of the people, by the people and for the people," and that permit everyone to act "according to the moral agency" that God has bestowed upon His children.

So, while the U.S. Constitution is, by no means, perfect, it does sustain the above "just and holy principles."