Seriously No Politics ×

Patriarchal Blessings: Are You Ready?

Sister Gui and I have noticed a trend in our area for youth to be told to delay getting their patriarchal blessings until they are “ready.” What started out as encouraging kids to take the experience seriously rather than automatically getting them when they turned twelve has resulted in a culture that seems to make it presumptuous to want to get it before age 16 or so. 

We both consulted our blessings as young teens and made important life decisions based on them. We found that the blessings helped us be “ready” at crucial times when we needed to be ready, and are glad we had them for direction. My case, however, was very unusual: I received mine when I was seven.

Has anyone else noticed a change in the way this unique and important LDS practice is being managed?

I got mine at 19, which was pretty typical for the time. My paternal grandfather was patriarch of another stake, so we got leave to have him do the deed.

He died midway through. So glad he was still with us so I could have that honor.

I think the idea that we can only receive one needs to be reexamined.

And any family patriarch has the right to bless his family as needed.

4 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

TBH I wouldn't mind another! I can't make heads or tails about mine

10 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Yeah.. mine went irrelevant about a week after I got it, it felt like.  Each time something came up in life it was opposite what the p blessiNg told me.  

13 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Yeah.. mine went irrelevant about a week after I got it, it felt like.  Each time something came up in life it was opposite what the p blessiNg told me.  

Mine was so generic that of course it became true or false, depending on one's point of view :blink:

37 minutes ago, USU78 said:

I got mine at 19, which was pretty typical for the time. My paternal grandfather was patriarch of another stake, so we got leave to have him do the deed.

He died midway through. So glad he was still with us so I could have that honor.

That is nice...not a common opportunity to have it done by a grandfather..or any relative.  I imagine he knew you well and that would have helped.

My daughter got two. The patriarch gave her a blessing. Tears were flowing. The spirit was strong. It was beautiful. Afterwards, they realized it had not been recorded. The button had not been pushed down.  They did it again and it was not the same. It has always made me sad.

Edited by bsjkki
4 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Has anyone else noticed a change in the way this unique and important LDS practice is being managed?

Nope. Whenever I've had the opportunity, I've encouraged  youth to get them as soon as they genuinely want them. I was nearly 20 when I got mine, and I really wish I'd got it much earlier.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

I posted the question on the baptism thread, and I'll post it here as well.  Isn't it a little curious a PB requires a higher standard than an LDS baptism?  For 90+% of kids born into the LDS Church, they are essentially auto-dunked at age 8 after they repeat back some words their teachers tell them. 

That may be a little harsh, but it's certainly not miles from the truth.  So what's all this then about being truly "ready" for a PB?  A PB isn't an essential ordinance pertaining to LDS-style salvation.  So by what logic does the higher standard make any sense?

--Erik

10 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Canadians are like that. But what a way to go! 🤣

Mumsie, many years later, met a lady who was a youngster at the time and she recalled coming home from school and seeing a group of men standing around the body, I would LOVE to know who he was arguing with and what about hahhaha!!

18 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Mumsie, many years later, met a lady who was a youngster at the time and she recalled coming home from school and seeing a group of men standing around the body, I would LOVE to know who he was arguing with and what about hahhaha!!

... and who won ...

17 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

The interview questions are exactly the same.

Then what's the point/necessity of PB delay for additional preparation & readiness?  Are you concerned the 8-year olds were just parroting back the words of their teachers when they qualified for LDS baptism? 

(A completely legitimate concern, IMO, if that's your answer to my question.)

--Erik

5 hours ago, JLHPROF said:

Becausevof my unusual circumstances (blessing at age 7), I got permission to get another when I was about 35, but never followed through.

We encouraged our kids to get them in their early teens, but we didn’t force anything. I believe that it is good to honor their feelings and requests.

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

FWIW in 1925, my Great Grandpa dropped dead arguing politics:o!

I’ve been in discussions wher Imwished that would happen. The phrase “drop dead” comes to mind. :P