Sign in to follow this  
Thinking

Is a temple recommend required to participate in a baby blessing?

8 hours ago, provoman said:

Worthy Melchizedek Priesthood holders...I have never heard that a Melchizedek Priesthood without a Temple Recommend is regarded as "unworthy".

I have known a lot of Melchizedek Priesthood holders who might be considered unworthy.  Or did I read that wrong?
There are lots of Melchizedek Priesthood holders who would be considered worthy even if they don't have a temple recommend.
Maybe they just haven't renewed it yet. 

10 hours ago, provoman said:

That language is not part of the blessing 

The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father.

2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Gives the child a name.

4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

Not likely the baby will assume an alias on his records, I guess....  ;)

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

I have known a lot of Melchizedek Priesthood holders who might be considered unworthy.  Or did I read that wrong?
There are lots of Melchizedek Priesthood holders who would be considered worthy even if they don't have a temple recommend.

It's because if the blessing is held in another ward simply having a recommend is presumed as evidence that both conditions are met.

A recommend is not required to do the blessing, it just functions as a "Church ID" for the person doing the blessing 

3 hours ago, JAHS said:

meant to post "is to be regarded as".  I believe we are in agreement. 

My son's wife's family tradition is to bless their children at home. I dislike the tradition, but they are not my monkeys and not my zoo. In their home, as in most homes, the father is the head of the house as long as the wife tells him he is and no further. If there are any questions, just ask the wife, but I digress.

Their second child was blessed at home. Bishop arrived, did not check the status of any of those involved in the circle, blessing was completed and bishop left. 

There is a difference between policy and practice at times. 

On 8/10/2019 at 11:12 AM, provoman said:

That language is not part of the blessing 

The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father.

2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Gives the child a name.

4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

More details can be found here:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/family-home-evening-resource-book/family-home-evening-lessons/lesson-twenty-eight-a-name-and-a-blessing?lang=eng