Seriously No Politics ×

How was your lesson about Sabbath observance?

28 minutes ago, JAHS said:

We had stake conference too. It was a North America Northwest Stake Conference Broadcast with Elder D. Todd Christofferson speaking.

Did they turn the wifi off in your building too?  They started doing that last year for our Stake Conferences. 

I can see the argument now...

"But aren't we supposed to give them wifi and let them govern themselves?"

"Just because we give them their agency doesn't mean we have to give them wifi too."

32 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I remember my first Sunday at the MTC a whole bunch of the girls were scandalized that I bought something from the snack vending machines in our dorm on Sunday because "spending on money on the Sabbath is breaking it."  I thought that was the craziest thing that I had ever heard, having been taught that it wasn't the money aspect of not shopping that was to be avoided but instead the aspect of having people work on Sundays.  

It is interesting how people can take the same thing and interpret it in totally different ways.

I always feel bad when I get something delivered from Amazon on Sundays.  I wish I could check a box that says "I don't need it until Monday."

4 minutes ago, cinepro said:

I always feel bad when I get something delivered from Amazon on Sundays.  I wish I could check a box that says "I don't need it until Monday."

Yes, that bugs my husband a lot. It sometimes happens with a USPS delivery too and he always feels bad. 

2 hours ago, cinepro said:

We had Stake Conference today.

But here's something fun I always like to do during lessons on the Sabbath in EQ.  I ask those who are married to raise their hands if they found that they and their wives had very different ideas about what was okay and not okay to do on the Sabbath that were only discovered after they got married.  Usually just about all the married guys raise their hands.  I use it as an example that while we assume everyone else has the same general understanding about what is okay and not okay (watching TV seems to be the big one), there's actually quite a bit of variation among different families.

What a great question to start out on..immediately everyone is involved.

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So today, units throughout the Church presumably had their first in a series of lessons on the topic of the Sabbath day as the fourth-Sunday curriculum for Relief Society and Melchizedek Priesthood lessons. I am curious to hear how it went in other wards.

In our high priests group, I learned something I hadn't known before. The instructor referred us to the Bible Dictionary entry on "Sabbath." In it, I noticed a link to another entry, "the Lord's Day."

From these two entries, I learned that in the early days of Christianity, after the resurrection of the Lord, the first day of the week was designated as "the Lord's day" and was thus observed, commemorating the resurrection of the Christ on that day and also the occasion when the Holy Ghost came upon the apostles. For a time, both the Lord's day (first day of the week) and the Sabbath (seventh day of the week) were observed. Then, by degrees, these two observances became combined, and today, the Sabbath and the Lord's day are both observed on Sunday, the first day of the week.

Nope

The whole west coast had a broadcast from SLC with Elder C. as the main speaker.

Good stuff.

47 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Yes, that bugs my husband a lot. It sometimes happens with a USPS delivery too and he always feels bad. 

Uh

We have many members of our stake that take the bus to church.  Are they sinning?

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

As an aside, I will note that I looked around our high priests group this morning and noticed that each and every one of us was using an electronic version of the scriptures on a hand-held device. There wasn't a hard-copy version in the room.

It was the first time I have ever noticed this. To use Mr Dylan's words, the times, they are a-changin'.

Yep that is the way it is with us too.  We just got a big wifi upgrade.  We had a family history fair yesterday and had a couple of dozen computers going- it got a little slower but it worked fine.

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

So today, units throughout the Church presumably had their first in a series of lessons on the topic of the Sabbath day as the fourth-Sunday curriculum for Relief Society and Melchizedek Priesthood lessons. I am curious to hear how it went in other wards....................................

We have found that the placement of chairs in an oblong circle gets everyone into the mood for a great bull session, and the HPs speak freely.  A lot of good experiences were shared, and the time went by all too fast.

5 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

From these two entries, I learned that in the early days of Christianity, after the resurrection of the Lord, the first day of the week was designated as "the Lord's day" and was thus observed, commemorating the resurrection of the Christ on that day and also the occasion when the Holy Ghost came upon the apostles. For a time, both the Lord's day (first day of the week) and the Sabbath (seventh day of the week) were observed. Then, by degrees, these two observances became combined, and today, the Sabbath and the Lord's day are both observed on Sunday, the first day of the week.

Unless you live as a foreign Mormon nanny in Hong Kong, or as a Mormon in Israel, in which case the Sabbath isn't on Sunday.

58 minutes ago, mfbukowski said:

Uh

We have many members of our stake that take the bus to church.  Are they sinning?

I’m not sure what your asking. Are you saying that someone working on a Sunday because they have to deliver someone’s new blender is comparable to someone working on Sunday because they are taking people to church?

2 hours ago, cinepro said:

Did they turn the wifi off in your building too?  They started doing that last year for our Stake Conferences. 

I can see the argument now...

"But aren't we supposed to give them wifi and let them govern themselves?"

"Just because we give them their agency doesn't mean we have to give them wifi too."

I didn't notice. I wasn't trying to use it at the time. :D

2 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

Uh

It is unnecessary stuff that is for my pleasure and I can easily wait for that I feel bad about putting on someone else, especially when I wouldn't want it put on me if I were in their place.

Necessities of life and things of general need and comfort such as attending church or visiting family is different, imo, than getting my latest legos or music books or daughter's hoodie delivered.  I wouldn't feel bad if I was waiting for medical supplies for my daughter and worried about her running out, but if I have been wise she can wait probably a week before we need to watch the door.  We have in fact gone to the store a couple of times on Sunday due to her forgetting to check and running out of glucose testing strips and are very grateful for open stores when that happens.  Otoh, she has no problem waiting for Monday to get a new video game.

No car in Moscow, so we took the Metro to church, but we didn't go shopping or hit any restaurants on those days.  We had 6 other days of the week to do that. 

Edited by Calm
5 minutes ago, kiwi57 said:

My books are resident in a special hand-held device called a "binding."

What an ingenious invention a book is, when you consider the age from which it emerged. A number of pages printed simultaneously on broad sheets placed on a press set with type, which are then cut and assembled and sewn into “gatherings” or “signatures,” a number of which are in turn glued into a binding. 

I appreciate the convenience of e-books, but I will always have something of the classic bibliophile in my make-up. 

5 hours ago, cinepro said:

There is a checkbox in Amazon.  You have to edit "Your Addresses" and after you select an address, there is a section at the bottom that handles if you want deliveries on specific weekend days.  You can disable Saturday, Sunday, or both.

Excellent.  Thank you for the info.

added:  not showing up for me

could it be because I am on my iPad or is it every time you do an order rather than just in the account info?

Edited by Calm
15 hours ago, Calm said:

It is unnecessary stuff that is for my pleasure and I can easily wait for that I feel bad about putting on someone else, especially when I wouldn't want it put on me if I were in their place.

Necessities of life and things of general need and comfort such as attending church or visiting family is different, imo, than getting my latest legos or music books or daughter's hoodie delivered.  I wouldn't feel bad if I was waiting for medical supplies for my daughter and worried about her running out, but if I have been wise she can wait probably a week before we need to watch the door.  We have in fact gone to the store a couple of times on Sunday due to her forgetting to check and running out of glucose testing strips and are very grateful for open stores when that happens.  Otoh, she has no problem waiting for Monday to get a new video game.

No car in Moscow, so we took the Metro to church, but we didn't go shopping or hit any restaurants on those days.  We had 6 other days of the week to do that. 

Agree, my point was more that some folks here seem rather extreme on Sabbath day "rules" which remain deliberately unpublished by the church.

I learned these rules as you did from the culture in general- I am sure you learned your way of seeing this from your parents, and I learned it from my wife.

But I have seen others here who condemn others for, say, going out for dinner on Sunday when that has been their personal family's Sunday activity for generations while there are no written "rules" detailing, for example, what you have just said above.  So yes, I agree with you whole heartedly but yet we must understand that these rules are not apparent to new converts and are not taught for a reason.

Repeatedly we have seen GA's refuse to publish a list of "do's" and "don'ts" and some here refuse to accept that fact.  One family's customs don't necessarily apply to others who have not learned what is culturally accepted when in fact, such rules have not been published.