Seriously No Politics ×

How to talk to normal people?

poptart

38 minutes ago, poptart said:

So, how do I talk to normal coworkers who are religious?  I like running, boxing, firearms the out doors, video games and anime, I have nothing in common with them, conversation is difficult.

Like they're normal people who like running, boxing, firearms the out doors, video games and anime.  I'm a particular fan of anime and video games (super enjoying the new Monster Hunter right now).   

2 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Like they're normal people who like running, boxing, firearms the out doors, video games and anime.  I'm a particular fan of anime and video games (super enjoying the new Monster Hunter right now).   

>monster Hunter 

Wow!!!!!!!!! You're now one of my faves!!!  What weapon?

Like the new berserk?

It won't hurt them to be exposed to things they don't usually think/talk about, just like it doesn't hurt you.   Besides good conversationalists often spend more time listening and understanding than talking.

Edited by rpn
1 hour ago, poptart said:

Monster Hunter is love monster Hunter is life, we're all equal.  

Usually dual sword, switch to bow for ranged or long sword when I need to pile on damage.

Way back when had almost full red fatalis armor, just needed a few gravios plates.

How do I talk to game people when this might as well be Chinese?

5 hours ago, mfbukowski said:

How do I talk to game people when this might as well be Chinese?

You just stand in awe that they play such an awesome game!

Seriously, I had never heard of this game before, either, but is apparently popular.  Here's a review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxeTJusD2M

As for games, I waste enough time with World of Tanks and World of Warships.  I don't need any more time wasters.  

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

You just stand in awe that they play such an awesome game!

Seriously, I had never heard of this game before, either, but is apparently popular.  Here's a review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxeTJusD2M

As for games, I waste enough time with World of Tanks and World of Warships.  I don't need any more time wasters.  

Monster Hunter is insanely popular. 

11 hours ago, poptart said:

So, how do I talk to normal coworkers who are religious?  I like running, boxing, firearms the out doors, video games and anime, I have nothing in common with them, conversation is difficult.

Please define "normal." If I am normal, (fairly religious) then the rest of the religious world is sort of screwed up. ;)

Now, if they are religious people that only wish to talk about religious subjects, you have some problems. But in my experience, I have had little problems finding subjects of common interest to talk about that were not religious in nature with people whose religious views differ greatly from my own.

Glenn

On 1/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, Glenn101 said:

Please define "normal." If I am normal, (fairly religious) then the rest of the religious world is sort of screwed up. ;)

Now, if they are religious people that only wish to talk about religious subjects, you have some problems. But in my experience, I have had little problems finding subjects of common interest to talk about that were not religious in nature with people whose religious views differ greatly from my own.

Glenn

I avoid religion like the plauge.  One coworker asked if I was going to mass for Christmas, most of the time when religion does come up that' usually the first guess.  They're not too far off...

That aside yeah I avoid it, people pick fights over it, I just keep quiet.  It's hard, usually they're busy with kids and what not, about the only common ground with a few of them is I play the same PlayStation games their kids do.