Seriously No Politics ×

Utah Governor Task Force to Address Teen Suicide

I think this could be a good step.  It looks like the task force is comprised of a broad variety of relevant experts and community leaders each with their unique perspectives.  How well they all work with, and respond to each other will be key to whether this makes a difference.  I believe that community cohesiveness and understanding is an important part of beginning to solve this problem that affects so many.  For everyone's sake I hope it's successful. 

Different organizations/agencies seem to be interpreting the 2016 data quite differently - The government says at a rate of 20.3 Utah is 5th in the U.S., while Suicidology says at 20.3 Utah is ninth in the U.S. Either is high, and there is an all-around increase since 2011 in virtually all of the country. White males are definitely the highest so be nice to us....we have a hard time of it. The world has become anti-WASPM. (Heck, esp in Utah even I buy wasp spray :) )

31 minutes ago, Maidservant said:

Elder Ronald A. Rasband of the Quorum of the Twelve is a part of this task force.  This was posted in LDS Newsroom.  I also thought it was great that additional resources were included at the bottom after the article.

Utah Governor Task Force to Address Teen Suicide

Such things are tragic no matter where or why they occur. One thing that aids and adds to young people taking their lives, is the lack of life experience. Those who are older, have a perspective that problems, and difficult times can and often change, as the one true constant in life is change. But, for the young, they often have no hope, believing that their problems will never change. It is wonderful that the State of Utah and the Church are both involved in this task force. 

Without even knowing, many speak privately and publicly blaming the Church for it's positions of certain issues. Writing articles, or threads on websites about how young people cannot discuss issues with their parents. Such ideas and comments are failings within the home, more than within any particular Faith. As almost every Faith teaches against sins enumerated in the scriptures, and preach and teach from their respective pulpits concerning their views. But other than a few teach also of repentance and that no matter the issue, life is the most valuable of all things. There are extreme views held by some belief systems that not only teach that death is a proper punishment, but will kill those who are found out. 

Suicide has always been an epidemic among the young, in every Country, State, and Faith. I am just grateful that it is being addressed, and addressed vigorously in Utah, and within the Church today. Here in the "Bible Belt", few would be surprised that it is an issue. Much of that is due to the fact that from one Church building to the next, no one knows anything going on behind their doors, nor in their homes. If there is one thing cherished above all else, second only to Jesus Christ, it is complete autonomy, from every other Church, even though they all claim the same denomination. Within a six mile radius around my home there are at least 20+ Churches, most are Baptists, the denomination I grew up in, and none know what the other is doing, or the internal issues they might be dealing with. Two such Churches used to share a parking lot, because it was once a single room Church and the other building was like our "cultural hall". But after a falling out, a fence went up between the two building. Each independent Church now has about 6-8 cars each every Sunday. 

I have often heard here; why the need for "organized" religions? The why, is because of the strength that comes from having that unity. My pray is that some good, and good results come out of this task force. There are just too many children dying at their own hands, as even one is just too many!     

I read this today too  I am very impressed that all groups are coming together like this.  Sounds like this is a good step and taken seriously by the State and the people who live here. 

Good News!!