Seriously No Politics ×

New Beginnings

Anyone know when New Beginnings started in the Church?

I've done a bunch of these talks, but I was wondering when this even started (as an expression, and as an annual meeting theme). I have no idea, myself.

Also, what have historically been the YW class names (e.g., Gleaners, etc.) other than Beehives, Mia Maids, and Laurels?

Thanks!

I remember in the early 1990's they had this 12-13 year old "Standards Night" and all of the 12 and 13 year olds would attend this evening of talks and lessons, it's where someone did that smashed cake as an object lesson as a virtue being lost, among other lessons. I am guessing it started beyond that

1 minute ago, Traela said:

It was well-established in 1979, when I became a Beehive.  Back then, girls moved up together as a class, so New Beginnings took place in September as a girl's first Young Women's meeting.

I did not know they used to move up as a class! 

1 hour ago, rongo said:

I've done a bunch of these talks, but I was wondering when this even started (as an expression, and as an annual meeting theme). I have no idea, myself.

Also, what have historically been the YW class names (e.g., Gleaners, etc.) other than Beehives, Mia Maids, and Laurels?

Thanks!

Great questions!

Here's this ("History of the Young Women Organization"):

http://www.mormonshare.com/young-women/history-of-the-young-women-organization

I haven't read through it entirely, but will.

I also found this (in the web archive..."History of Young Women Achievement Programs"):

https://web.archive.org/web/20071227035637/http://lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,7713-1,00.html

Edited by ALarson

This is pretty funny (and interesting....from the archived link above):

In 1915, every female over 14 was a Beehive girl until she entered Relief Society.  There were no Mia Maids, Gleaners, or Laurels.  (Girls ages 12-13 did not become part of the MIA until 1934.)  At this time, the Church established its first systematic awards program for girls. 

In the 1920’s all young women who belonged to the Young Ladies Mutual Improvement Association were called Beehive girls, regardless of their age.  They were arranged in groups called “swarms,” and their leaders were called Bee Keepers.

Upon entering the Beehive program, each girl was required to memorize the Spirit of the Hive, the Beehive motto: “On my honor each day I will have faith, seek knowledge, safeguard health, honor womanhood, understand beauty, know work, love truth, taste the sweetness of service, feel joy.”

The Beehive program included three ranks: Builders in the Hive, Gatherers of Honey, and Keepers of the Bees.  To achieve each rank, girls were required to fulfill 14-16 foundation requirements and 36 additional requirements of their own choosing.  At one time there were 373 requirements to choose from.  Here are a few sample requirements:

- Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season and know their habits.

- Sleep out-of-doors or with wide-open windows.

- During three consecutive months, abstain from candy, ice cream, commercially manufactured beverages, and chewing gum.

- Clear sagebrush, etc. off of a half acre of land.

- Care for at least two kerosene lamps daily.

- Without help or advice, care for and harness a team of horses at least five times; drive 50 miles in one season.

- Identify 12 kinds of lace and tell the reasonable price and appropriate use of each.

- During two weeks, keep the house free from flies or destroy at least 25 flies daily.

5 hours ago, rongo said:

Thanks!

This might not answer all your questions, but it's still my favorite article from the Church News:

Some Things Uniquely LDS

And I was hoping this LDS Youth camp-revival festival back in 2009 would start an annual tradition, but sadly it was one of a kind...

Brand New Year

Edited by cinepro
1 hour ago, cinepro said:

This might not answer all your questions, but it's still my favorite article from the Church News:

Some Things Uniquely LDS

And I was hoping this LDS Youth camp-revival festival back in 2009 would start an annual tradition, but sadly it was one of a kind...

Brand New Year

I wish there was a BARF button on here;)

On 1/17/2018 at 8:13 AM, Duncan said:

I remember in the early 1990's they had this 12-13 year old "Standards Night" and all of the 12 and 13 year olds would attend this evening of talks and lessons, it's where someone did that smashed cake as an object lesson as a virtue being lost, among other lessons. I am guessing it started beyond that

This is what I remember too...my daughter went to something like this.

Edited by Jeanne
On January 17, 2018 at 8:32 AM, Jane_Doe said:

I did not know they used to move up as a class! 

It changed to birthdays in 1983, maybe 1982.  I was the first in my class to move up to the Laurels, very traumatic to do it all on my lonesome.

Just a personal opinion on New Beginnings:

This is its purpose:  This event helps young women and their parents learn about the Young Women program. It includes an explanation of Personal Progress and a presentation of the Young Women theme, logo, motto, and age-group purpose statements and symbols (see 10.1). It should help young women and their parents plan for events in the coming year. New Beginnings provides opportunities for leaders to express love for the young women, encourage parents to help their daughters in Personal Progress experiences, introduce young women who will reach age 12 in the coming year, and welcome young women who have joined the Church or moved into the ward. It is a time to recognize young women and their accomplishments in Personal Progress. The Young Women presidency invites a member of the bishopric to give concluding remarks.

I have 4 daughters. Going to New Beginnings 12 years straight can get really, really boring.  When they focus on the italicized portion, this meeting really stinks. My favorite New Beginnings are when they spend most of the time making the incoming Beehives or new members feel ultra special. Have the girls highlight the fun and spiritual activities these girls will be involved with but focus on the girls. I don't know why New Beginnings should highlight accomplishments in Personal Progress when that is what Young Women's in Excellence is for. This is a pet peeve of mine since I've sat through so many of these meetings.

I also just attended a Priesthood Preview. The difference between these two similar meetings was stark. Priesthood Preview was a serious meetings discussing upcoming roles and responsibilities of these young men as they receive the Priesthood. A lot of talk of responsibilities and service. They discussed being worthy, being part or quorum and your duty and responsibility to quorum members, passing the Sacrament and collecting fast offering. This meeting is now no more as the program changed but, this heavy emphasis on duty, responsibility,  church assignments, worthiness to God made me realize the lack of this messaging to the young women in New Beginnings. 

Edited by bsjkki