Seriously No Politics ×

Mormons give Trump highest support of any religious group in poll

Lisa Riley Roche, "Mormons give Trump highest support of any religious group in poll," Deseret News, Jan 12, 2017, online at https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900007499/mormons-give-trump-highest-support-of-any-religious-group-in-poll.html?_cid=Email-1&utm_campaign=ace444b02d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_13&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Morning Edition&utm_term=0_c273c164df-ace444b02d-510802885 .

Mormons nationwide gave President Donald Trump a 61 percent approval rating over the past year, higher than any religious group, in polling released Friday by Gallup.

Trump ended up winning Utah in the presidential election, but with just 45.5 percent of the vote, his lowest margin of victory across the country despite the state being among the most Republican in the country.

"What I say with a lot of confidence is the percentage of Mormons who voted for Donald Trump in 2016 was much lower than the percentage of white evangelicals," [Quinn] Monson said.

Professor Monson did question the lumping by Gallup of evangelicals together with all Protestants, since the evangelicals seem to like Trump even more than Mormons.

However, what does this say about Mormons generally?  Is it dispositive?  I found it both surprising and appalling.

Edited by Robert F. Smith
52 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Lisa Riley Roche, "Mormons give Trump highest support of any religious group in poll," Deseret News, Jan 12, 2017, online at https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900007499/mormons-give-trump-highest-support-of-any-religious-group-in-poll.html?_cid=Email-1&utm_campaign=ace444b02d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_01_13&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Morning Edition&utm_term=0_c273c164df-ace444b02d-510802885 .

Professor Monson did question the lumping by Gallup of evangelicals together with all Protestants, since the evangelicals seem to like Trump even more than Mormons.

However, what does this say about Mormons generally?  Is it dispositive?  I found it both surprising and appalling.

Would you have been any less appalled if the election had turned out differently and the majority of Church members supported Hillary Clinton and her husband? (I say her husband because she said, if elected, she was going to make him a virtual copresident over the economy)

Edited by Bobbieaware
59 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Would you have been any less appalled if the election had turned out differently and the majority of Church members supported Hillary Clinton and her husband? (I say her husband because she said, if elected, she was going to make him a virtual copresident over the economy)

Hypotheticals like this are meaningless. 

55 minutes ago, Bob Crockett said:

Hypotheticals like this are meaningless. 

It may be meaningless to you but I’d still like an answer.

Since in my opinion the Clintons are, at very least, just as corrupt, just as dishonest and just as wicked as Trump, I’d like to know if those members who are so outraged over the election of the current President saw in the Clintons a morally superior alternative. And if they did view the Clintons as the morally superior alternative,  to me all their outrage rings empty and I disregard their howlings as nothing more than a manifestation of political partisanship.

Edited by Bobbieaware
24 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Since in my opinion the Clintons are, at very least, just as corrupt, just as dishonest and just as wicked as Trump, I’d like to know if those members who are so outraged over the election of the current President saw in the Clintons a morally superior alternative. And if they did view the Clintons as the morally superior alternative,  to me all their outrage rings empty and I disregard their howlings as nothing more than a manifestation of political partisanship.

Because one doesn’t approve highly of the President doesn’t suggest that one approves of his rival either.  Why so binary?  One can certainly wish that another was appointed besides the two, there were certainly others running. This poll has nothing to do with the elections anyway.  It is an approval rating for trump over the last year in office.

2 hours ago, Bobbieaware said:

I don't know whether you are aware, Bobbie, that we had a third option in Utah -- an honest man by the name of Evan McMullin.  He was also on the ballot in most other states.  People actually had a choice.  They didn't need to vote for Satan on the one hand, or Beelzebub on the other.  How sad that most people insist on choosing among the latest liars, cheats, and thieves.

45 minutes ago, Bobbieaware said:

Part of our problem may be that political preferences have become nothing more than a team sport, with the partisans as enthusiastic supporters of their favorite celebrity, rather than responsible citizens who actually think that competence and morals are important.  Supporters of Tweeledum are absolutely certain that Tweedledee is the bad guy, and vice-versa.  Partisans are like teenage punks on a streetcorner talking trash, but the only guy who is really happy is Czar Vlad Putin. 

At least when Obama let Hezbollah run cocaine into the country to score a political win, he at least tried to keep it on the DL.

And Bill at least tried to keep the fact he was holding Monica’s hair in the Oval Office a secret from the general population.

Look, I get most of you are probably respectable, professional white collar successes in your personal lives, and that Trump’s twitter feed has you all clutching your pearls. But stop embarrassing yourselves here by pretending Trump has plumbed the new low in “presidential conduct” and just enjoy your tax breaks in 2018.