Seriously No Politics ×

My rant about Money knowledge

Duncan

So, just prior to Christmas I bought new scriptures, ordered them from the States. If you were not aware I don't reside in the US. I purchased them via money order in US dollars, as there is an exchange difference and it's priced in US funds .I think right now it's 80c US for a Canadian dollar for the exchange. I spent the Canadian equivalent for the US priced item, which in Canadian money is obviously more. I got call the other night from a person in the billing dept. telling me that they don't take cheques and if I had a US address to mail my item to. I said I don't have a US address and I didn't send a cheque as I sent a money order in US funds, because I was purchasing the item in the US. They said that they would get back to me, well they didn't. I called the customer service yestarday and he couldn't patch me to the billing dept, but someone would get back to me. Well, I emailed them as I don't want money to go missing and this to get shuffled around. On my own I discovered I didn't send enough for shipping and tax, but I told the customer service person i'll pay it via credit card ( which I should have done in the first place but I have had some wonky experiences with credit cards and purchases) So I heard back today. In part this is what they wrote:

"We do not have a way of billing you for the difference if you do not send enough funds...In the future, to avoid any issues, please pay in Canadian funds and include $3.90 CAD for shipping and any tax that would apply to your area. If you need a quote before placing a mail order, let us know what you would like to order and we can give you a total that can be sent to us."

I did pay in Canadian funds, I didn't pay in Japanese Yen or Pesos or something.......I don't have US money, because I don't live in the US!!!!!!!!!!, I can't speak for everyone but I don't see the Letters, "U" and "S" in CANADA. I paid my Canadian money equivalent to get the American Money order as the item is in US funds and it's physically in the US so it needs to come to Canada and it has to in actuality travel here....and why don't they have an outlet for billing a difference? to me that's losing dosh. I'm thankful they processed my order but they lost money that they could have had and I'm willing to pay the difference. I HOPE to God above they know about the exchange rates in different currencies.Not everyone lives in the US, so you pay your currency equivalent to US money, is this new information or?!  It would be nice to pay straight across the board dollar for dollar but it isn't like that. I don't get either  why they would want it sent to a US address? if I lived in the US I would have said so!!!!! Do you think I have  houses all over the world or something? i'm flattered but no 

:(

21 minutes ago, Duncan said:

So, just prior to Christmas I bought new scriptures, ordered them from the States. If you were not aware I don't reside in the US. I purchased them via money order in US dollars, as there is an exchange difference and it's priced in US funds .I think right now it's 80c US for a Canadian dollar for the exchange. I spent the Canadian equivalent for the US priced item, which in Canadian money is obviously more. I got call the other night from a person in the billing dept. telling me that they don't take cheques and if I had a US address to mail my item to. I said I don't have a US address and I didn't send a cheque as I sent a money order in US funds, because I was purchasing the item in the US. They said that they would get back to me, well they didn't. I called the customer service yestarday and he couldn't patch me to the billing dept, but someone would get back to me. Well, I emailed them as I don't want money to go missing and this to get shuffled around. On my own I discovered I didn't send enough for shipping and tax, but I told the customer service person i'll pay it via credit card ( which I should have done in the first place but I have had some wonky experiences with credit cards and purchases) So I heard back today. In part this is what they wrote:

"We do not have a way of billing you for the difference if you do not send enough funds...In the future, to avoid any issues, please pay in Canadian funds and include $3.90 CAD for shipping and any tax that would apply to your area. If you need a quote before placing a mail order, let us know what you would like to order and we can give you a total that can be sent to us."

I did pay in Canadian funds, I didn't pay in Japanese Yen or Pesos or something.......I don't have US money, because I don't live in the US!!!!!!!!!!, I can't speak for everyone but I don't see the Letters, "U" and "S" in CANADA. I paid my Canadian money equivalent to get the American Money order as the item is in US funds and it's physically in the US so it needs to come to Canada and it has to in actuality travel here....and why don't they have an outlet for billing a difference? to me that's losing dosh. I'm thankful they processed my order but they lost money that they could have had and I'm willing to pay the difference. I HOPE to God above they know about the exchange rates in different currencies.Not everyone lives in the US, so you pay your currency equivalent to US money, is this new information or?!  It would be nice to pay straight across the board dollar for dollar but it isn't like that. I don't get either  why they would want it sent to a US address? if I lived in the US I would have said so!!!!! Do you think I have  houses all over the world or something? i'm flattered but no 

:(

We had so much problem dealing with US services, including banks and government offices.  They freaked out telling us they couldn't accept Canadian money even when it was printed right on the check "US dollars".  And like you, money orders were rejected.  We kept being dinged for being late on paying student loans because each month we would go through the same thing, get told to do it a certain way by one person only to have it reversed the next month.

For awhile we worked through giving the money to my husband's dad who used the same bank and he paid it off, with him there in person they would be willing to process a US dollar check where they wouldn't be through the mail.  Still he hit blips often.  My dad came to the ultimate rescue by paying off the whole thing with a early dispersal from my inheritance.

Somehow Canadian services never had the same difficulty even though often they were smaller.

18 minutes ago, Mars said:

Calmoriah is from Canada??!?!

I need a moment...  Someone get me a bear claw from Tim Horton's.

From San Francisco actually.  Canada was the first place I really had ever felt was home in the sense of the people though.  Lived there from age 32 to 45, put in some very deep emotional roots.  Husband was a prof at University of Calgary.

Given my daughter in law wants to be by her family and we want to be by our son's family and they will be living in Utah and my husband grew up in Orem and teaching opportunities will most likely be most adaptable for my husband post retirement here (having observed many men, I will not support my husband in the idea that retirement means staying at home and caring for the lawn and garden...we would both go quickly insane with boredom), I don't see us moving except to a smaller, cheaper home within biking distance of the grandkids.  We might move up into the mountains if we can afford it to have some cooler summers as I don't do heat well, but I doubt my husband would be happy getting stuck up there in winter time.

Edited by Calm
35 minutes ago, Mars said:

Calmoriah is from Canada??!?!

I need a moment...  Someone get me a bear claw from Tim Horton's.

I can but apparently shipping is extra! and I don't want to end up on that TV show "Border Security" "man tries to send a Tim Horton donut to his American counterpart but ends up in security, leaving his American friend disgruntled"

1 hour ago, Calm said:

Btw, having worked in a privately owned church bookstore and being very aware of our competition, Deseretbook, it is always cheaper to order scriptures through Church Distribution.  You can avoid paying shipping or taxes or both that way....unless things have changed in the past 15 years (I am a bit broken-hearted that I can no longer regard Canada as the place I stayed the longest now).  Iirc, they have warehouses in Canada so there is not as much hassle....though we still had to pay in US dollars I think.

If you ever need a US address for sending something to, PM me.  I could probably go purchase it in person even in many cases.  I had friends that helped me out getting medication that wasn't available in Canada that wasn't allowed to be mailed by the pharmacy across the border.  It was the custom officials that told us to just get it sent or walked in by friends without reporting it as it would never get approved even if it was necessary for quality life (pretty much only something I would die without would have been okayed and that would have taken months).  

Anyway, wouldn't mind doing some "pay it forward" for you in memory of that help.

For nonChurch Distribution, you should check out the Cardston bookstore.  They used to have a huge special order sideline for most of Canada.  The owner of that was the owner of Beehive Books where I worked in Calgary.

http://ldsbookscanada.com/

I appreciate that thank you! I don't know if am buying anything right now but i'll definately keep you in mind! My Mum buys from Cardston, they are great!

49 minutes ago, Duncan said:

While I understand and acknowledge that there is a US/Canadian “border,” and I’m aware of several hockey teams that “claim” to play in Canada (Go Jets!), the video you’ve referenced says nothing about people actually “living” in the frozen north.  I’d be willing “concede” that perhaps some “people” “commute,” but I’ve never “personally” met anyone who “actually” lives there.

Good reason to make sure you are using the store number that  is for your country.   (And be sure to write them about your concerns so they can fix it for the next person.  Sounds like they are sending the stuff without your paying the s&h this time, but you could send them the rest at the same time if you are uncomfortable with  that:  imagine them getting loonies (or however you spell it).

7 minutes ago, rpn said:

Good reason to make sure you are using the store number that  is for your country.   (And be sure to write them about your concerns so they can fix it for the next person.  Sounds like they are sending the stuff without your paying the s&h this time, but you could send them the rest at the same time if you are uncomfortable with  that:  imagine them getting loonies (or however you spell it).

I filled out an online survey voicing my displeasure, like I didn't send a cheque but a money order and heaven help me I hope they know the difference! hahahahhaa! it's loonies and toonies! you might get a kick out of this

Edited by Duncan
29 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Did you go to the Stampede?

I went at least one year.  Family went a couple of times, but I am less fond of crowds.

Did the pancake breakfasts, husband got the white cowboy hat as a promo when he came up for an interview.

48 minutes ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I believe I once told you that I admired the civilized behavior of Canadians, and wished that we could get U.S. citizens to behave as well.  This is one more indicator of the sad reality.

You did, reminds me of this sceneB:)

Edited by Duncan
7 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

Did you go to the Stampede?

6 hours ago, Calm said:

I went at least one year.  Family went a couple of times, but I am less fond of crowds.

Did the pancake breakfasts, husband got the white cowboy hat as a promo when he came up for an interview.

Robert and Calm....

I often traveled to Canada with hubby for business... British Columbia and Alberta.  I'll always remember my first trip to Calgary... growing up I had always watched the Calgary Stampede on the news, etc.  So on my first trip I was expecting a real rip-roaring western style town.  As we circled, coming into the airport, I was astounded to see this large metropolitan city with skyscrapers then fanning out into miles of surrounding business and residential areas.  We did have one activity that was a western style BBQ, at which time there was a "White Hat" ceremony where we received a white hat and were made honorary Calgarians... I still have my hat...

GG

Sounds like you went to a whole lot of trouble when you should have just used your credit card. Anytime I do business in Canada (admittedly not often, but I have)  I just pull out a credit card - easy-peasy

Edited by mnn727
20 minutes ago, mnn727 said:

Sounds like you went to a whole lot of trouble when you should have just used your credit card. Anytime I do business in Canada (admittedly not often, but I have)  I just pull out a credit card - easy-peasy

they appreciate your business!