Seriously No Politics ×

Thomas S Monson cars

2 minutes ago, Marcelo said:

The site below informs that Thomas S Monson had bought a new Lexus car of 90K USD e owned 3 other luxury car with a total net worth of USD 810 K. The information seems crazy to me.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information:

https://finapp.co.in/thomas-s-monson-net-worth/

Thanks!

they have no sources, it's just words TBH

If true, who cares?

Ridiculous waste of time.  At least it's not an anti hit piece.  Whatever this questionable site is they provide net worth on lots of people.

So Pres. Monson was relatively wealthy.  Is there some reason he shouldn't be?

They did post a  Disclaimer:
"The Thomas S Monson Net Worth details are being posted/updated after conducting reasonable research. It is being reiterated that the Thomas S Monson Net Worth details mentioned here are only ‘estimates’ which may or may not be the reality. While utmost care is taken by FinApp during the compilation of Thomas S Monson Net Worth information to ensure that the estimated net worth is closer to the reality, FinApp shall not assume any liability or responsibility for the outcome of decision(s) taken as a result of any reliance placed in this post."

The question might be asked is were those cars actually bought by him, given to him from the church, or just purchased by the church for whichever president happens to currently hold the position and will be used by the next president?

Monson has had that house forever. From the outside, it is ordinary and small, very typical of the homes of that era in that area (he lived close to my high school.)  I can see an expensive outfitted car being necessary considering all the haters. I had to laugh when it said his net worth had risen in the past few years, like duh, if he had anything in the stock market.....

2 hours ago, Marcelo said:

The site below informs that Thomas S Monson had bought a new Lexus car of 90K USD e owned 3 others luxuries cars with a total net worth of USD 810 K. The information seems crazy to me.

Thanks!

Who’da thought President Monson would have turned out to be Salt Lake City’s male version of ‘The  Little Old Lady from Pasadena?’ Maybe he would sneak out at night and cruise around town while blasting the stereo system at full volume? I would imagine his music of choice would have been ‘30’s & ‘40’s big band music. Can’t you just see him tooling down the street with a big, relaxed smile on his face while listening to Glenn Miller’s ‘In the Mood?’

Edited by Bobbieaware

I think it more likely he transferred his "savings" (or faithful long term investments) to all his children in the form of trusts.  Those cars could be part of his living trusts.  As for the $12M figure, it may have been pulled out of thin air.  He probably gave the remainder of his wealth to people he loved and kept in touch with.

4 hours ago, Marcelo said:

The site below informs that Thomas S Monson had bought a new Lexus car of 90K USD e owned 3 others luxuries cars with a total net worth of USD 810 K. The information seems crazy to me.

Thanks!

The burden of proof is on them.

If you disagree and believe the burden of proof is to disprove an accusation then you are a vile disgusting malodorous pervert. Prove me wrong. ;) 

I'm really skeptical of that article. For one it says he lives in a multimillion dollar condo worth $2 million dollars. Which is basically the top floor apartment owned by the church where Pres. Hinkley also resided. Part of that is undoubtedly for security. (Lots of crazies out there) They own an other house people call "upscale" which is appraised for $370,000. (That's not upscale, although it is much nicer than my home - and appears to have been bought in the 70's when prices were much lower) The other "home" is a small cabin/cottage up near Vivian Park in Provo Canyond they've owned for ages - likely also bought in the 70's when it probably cost next to nothing. Pres. Monson when healthier used to go there to go fishing.

There have definitely been some GAs with more money. But Pres. Monson doesn't appear to have been one of them. Plus the lack of data or even any evidence he owns a luxury Lexus. 

Edited by clarkgoble
9 hours ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Confirm it for what reason? 

Some Brazilian members have found the site and are criticizing President Monson for owning such expensive cars.
I told them that the information is fishy. Pres. Monson uses the cars from the Church fleet, why woud he buy these expensive cars? He almost could not walk alone, much less drive a car.
Edited by Marcelo

The public records would show cars that ere registered/licensed, not how he got them (you have to pay sales tax even if you got it at a gift).   I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the car he uses has various security features that raise their price, or have room and comfort to allow him to do what he has to do.   And when he got too frail to get around, he probably did buy a vehicle with wheelchair access.

And aside from the corporate boards of director income, he worked for DesNews and was a GA who didn't have work after that.   So having 12 Million net worth is a lot (suggests he didn't spend much of what he earned, too.)  

I'm not sure why we should care though: his life was one of giving to others, including the shoes off his feet and the shirts and suits off his back.

Edited by rpn