Seriously No Politics ×

Your favorite Old Testament study guide

22 minutes ago, Duncan said:

TBH I like the BYU roundtable discussions, a bit dated but it's fun to hear the Utah accents, i.e."screeptures", "Chrashed"(um, you mean Christ?):lol:

I’m not aware of anyone in the Utah I’m from pronouncing those words like that.  Living in the frigid north must have frozen some part of your hearing.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ksfisher said:

I’m not aware of anyone in the Utah I’m from pronouncing those words like that.  Living in the frigid north must have frozen some part of your hearing.:rolleyes:

oh, it exists, it exists! Sister missionary from Roy , Utah among other fine places....................like calm down, calm down! hahahhahha!

Edited by Duncan
4 hours ago, Duncan said:

TBH I like the BYU roundtable discussions, a bit dated but it's fun to hear the Utah accents, i.e."screeptures", "Chrashed"(um, you mean Christ?):lol:

Thanks. I was thinking more of one I could read, but apprciate there are other resources I haven' thought of as well.

3 hours ago, RevTestament said:

I'm working on a new one. In many ways the Oxford Annotated Bible is good, but it is sometimes erroneous or gives erroneous interpretations. Mine will not be a complete verse by verse guide, but will present many new ideas I think.

Thanks for the suggestion! 

11 minutes ago, Rain said:

Thanks. I was thinking more of one I could read, but apprciate there are other resources I haven' thought of as well.

can I interest you in this? anytime a verse was used on conference, this site has who said it, when and any commentary on it

http://scriptures.byu.edu/

so for example Amos 3:7 was used over 100 times in conference, everybody from Elders Orson Hyde to F. Michael Watson

I recommend using sorcery to summon the spirits of the original authors and bind them using  the Triangle of Solomon. Then, invoke the Three Names of God and the power of the archangel Michael to compel them to divulge what they meant when they wrote in the original text. Works for me but your mileage may very.

17 hours ago, Duncan said:

Hmm, to me the Utah accent is saying things like Mondee and Tuesdee. Also, feelings pronounced like "fillings".

4 minutes ago, Gray said:

Hmm, to me the Utah accent is saying things like Mondee and Tuesdee. Also, feelings pronounced like "fillings".

I haven't heard those specific mispronunciations where I live, but saying moun'ins instead of mountains seems to be prevalent (but it's not Utah, it seems normal to leave out your 't's in most of the Western states that i've lived in).

7 minutes ago, Gray said:

and instead of saying "Mar-tin" for someone's last name of Martin it's "Marr in" like, what happened to the "T"?

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I haven't heard those specific mispronunciations where I live, but saying moun'ins instead of mountains seems to be prevalent (but it's not Utah, it seems normal to leave out your 't's in most of the Western states that i've lived in).

I think the "Mondee" thing is more prevalent among the older generation. I think President Monson used to say it that way. I remember having to explain to a friend whose native language wasn't English that it was a regional pronunciation (we were watching general conference).

Maybe "fillings" is more Idaho? I have a friend from Idaho who says it that way.

Just now, Gray said:

I think the "Mondee" thing is more prevalent among the older generation. I think President Monson used to say it that way. I remember having to explain to a friend whose native language wasn't English that it was a regional pronunciation (we were watching general conference).

Maybe "fillings" is more Idaho? I have a friend from Idaho who says it that way.

and what's with "Christy-an son"? "we will now hear a number from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Ray Christy-an-sun at the organ" isn't it "Chrished-inson"?

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

and what's with "Christy-an son"? "we will now hear a number from the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Ray Christy-an-sun at the organ" isn't it "Chrished-inson"?

Actually no, there are different legitimate pronunciations of that last name and both can be correct depending on who you are talking about. :) 

8 minutes ago, Duncan said:

is it like this?

That clip always makes me laugh.  

How last names are pronounced just depends on how someone a long time ago decided to pronounce them.  For example, we had two Mackay families in one ward on my mission.  One pronounced it Mic-KAY and the other MAC-key. I've also know Knudsen families where one pronounced the K and the other the k was silent.  Both pronunciations were correct (but heaven help the person trying to pronounce it if they didn't know the family personally!)

With Christiansen and Christensen though, you'll notice that the two names aren't actually spelled the same so at least you'll have a chance of pronouncing it correctly.  :P

Edited by bluebell
13 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

What is your definition of "study guide"? Does it include commentaries, or is more a matter of lists of questions?

Good question. More commentaries of some kind. History, translations, explanations of where some phrases come from. That sort of thing. 

I second Ben Spackman's recommendation of the Jewish Study Bible (Oxford University Press). The JPS translation is so-so, but the notes are excellent. The HarperCollins Study Bible and the New Oxford Annotated Bible are also very good.

If you're willing to dive a little deeper, for cultural background, Life in Biblical Israel by Philip J. King and Lawrence E. Stager is unsurpassed. Lots of pictures and in-depth descriptions of everyday life. For historical background, A History of Ancient Israel and Judah by J. Maxwell Miller and John H. Hayes is a solid scholarly treatment.

One of my favorite books on the Old Testament is Tikva Frymer-Kensky's Reading the Women of the BibleFrymer-Kensky employs a close reading of the biblical stories of various women and uncovers all kinds of interesting insights.

Commentaries on individual books of the Bible are legion—and expensive. But if you only buy one commentary, I strongly recommend Gordon Wenham's 2-volume commentary on Genesis (the "book of books" as Bruce R. McConkie called it). Wenham is a moderately conservative Evangelical scholar and, like Frymer-Kensky, is a careful and perceptive interpreter.

Edited by Nevo

My favourite Old Testament scripture is Genesis 29:20 because it gives us a hint of the awesome power of true love: 'Jacob worked seven years for Rachel but they seemed like just a few days to him because of his love for her.' In about 1992 I was searching the Bible for the meaning of the number seven, and I meditated on both Genesis 29:20 and 41 about Pharaoh's dream of seven years of plenty and famine. Then I had a powerful vision of what life will be like in New Jerusalem cities in the Millennium.

The vision basically explained that we will be working and making love with an awesome precision-power of God. The vision was later modified by dreams and Song of Solomon 8:9: 'If she be a wall we will build upon her a battlement of silver and if she be a door we will enclose her with boards of cedar.'

This is the vision: 7 years of work storing food with sex that closes the door, seven years of sex building a battlement on the wife and opening the wall, and two years and third Sabbath rest -- all these years seeming like just seven days.

Loving and working with the power of God requires we have faith in the spiritual power of precision of the Holy Ghost and that we use the seven spirits or more of God as tools to guide or work and loving.

See also Hebrews 4:12 about the precision power of God -- not forgetting the precise deeds of King David as a teen.

The seven spirits of God and the soul: Revelation 5:6, Zechariah 3:9 and 4:10, 1Peter2:4-5. The soul is symbolized many ways in the Bible: a stone, a pearl, a coloured coat for example. Abraham 3:18-19 is also about the spirits of the soul. A soul is a ball of light about the head and much bigger than the body, containing many spirits ranging from low intelligence to high intelligence to highest intelligence or the Holy Spirit. Animals and plants and the stars and galaxies all have souls.

I'm sorry I went off topic but I can't help telling about the wonderful things God has revealed to me in my life.

Get back on topic. This is not a board for witnessing.

13 hours ago, Raymond Ellis said:

My favourite Old Testament scripture is Genesis 29:20 because it gives us a hint of the awesome power of true love: 'Jacob worked seven years for Rachel but they seemed like just a few days to him because of his love for her.' In about 1992 I was searching the Bible for the meaning of the number seven, and I meditated on both Genesis 29:20 and 41 about Pharaoh's dream of seven years of plenty and famine. Then I had a powerful vision of what life will be like in New Jerusalem cities in the Millennium.

The vision basically explained that we will be working and making love with an awesome precision-power of God. The vision was later modified by dreams and Song of Solomon 8:9: 'If she be a wall we will build upon her a battlement of silver and if she be a door we will enclose her with boards of cedar.'

This is the vision: 7 years of work storing food with sex that closes the door, seven years of sex building a battlement on the wife and opening the wall, and two years and third Sabbath rest -- all these years seeming like just seven days.

Loving and working with the power of God requires we have faith in the spiritual power of precision of the Holy Ghost and that we use the seven spirits or more of God as tools to guide or work and loving.

See also Hebrews 4:12 about the precision power of God -- not forgetting the precise deeds of King David as a teen.

The seven spirits of God and the soul: Revelation 5:6, Zechariah 3:9 and 4:10, 1Peter2:4-5. The soul is symbolized many ways in the Bible: a stone, a pearl, a coloured coat for example. Abraham 3:18-19 is also about the spirits of the soul. A soul is a ball of light about the head and much bigger than the body, containing many spirits ranging from low intelligence to high intelligence to highest intelligence or the Holy Spirit. Animals and plants and the stars and galaxies all have souls.

I'm sorry I went off topic but I can't help telling about the wonderful things God has revealed to me in my life.

Wow...I forgot about Jacob and Rachel....yeah...this is love.