Seriously No Politics ×

Pres. Monson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drat

Just now, Calm said:

What is the best positive article out there on the process of succession in the Church.? Found much material on lds.org, but too sleepy yo keep looking

President Nelson is now the prophet. The moment life passed from President Monson the First Presidency ceased to exist and Presidents Eyring and Uchtdorf resumed their places in the quorum they were in before they were called to the First Presidency (which in this case was The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles). President Nelson, being the senior apostle on earth and also the president of the highest governing priesthood body on earth at this time, is now the prophet.

Here is a good article on it:

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/succession-in-the-presidency-of-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints

It is very orthodox and "safe" but I would add a clarification to it that counselors in the First Presidency do not have to come from The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Also, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles do not necessarily number 14 at the death of the president of the Church. In the situation we are in now the Quorum actually numbers 13 because the vacancy caused by the passing of Elder Hales still has not been filled. So we are now in a position where two more people will soon have to be called as members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. If I wasn't so tired I would also add clarifications to points #7 and 8 in the linked-to article.

Edited by CMZ
9 hours ago, Avatar4321 said:

He is with the Savior now.

Prayers for his family. And for President Nelson.

I presume April will be a Solemn Assembly?

Probably. But the solemn assembly where a new President of the Church and First Presidency are presented to the Church does not have to be during a session of general conference.

Edited by CMZ
19 minutes ago, CMZ said:

Probably. But the solemn assembly where a new President of the Church and First Presidency are presented to the Church does not have to be during a session of general conference. For instance, when President Benson became the prophet he was sustained in a solemn assembly during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional.

I beg to differ.

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1986/04/solemn-assembly-and-sustaining-of-church-officers?lang=eng

58 minutes ago, Calm said:

What is the best positive article out there on the process of succession in the Church.? Found much material on lds.org, but too sleepy yo keep looking

Mine. ;)

President Nelson does lead the Church as President of the Quorum of the Twelve. If current practice is followed the Twelve cancel all assignments and meetings to travel as quickly as possible back to Salt Lake to select a successor. In the early days of the church the Twelve sometimes led directly instead of reorganizing the First Presidency but that is not likely but is technically possible. By tradition the senior apostle (Elder Nelson in this case) is selected as President of the First Presidency and is set apart by the next most senior apostle. He then selects two counselors and a new apostle is eventually chosen by the new President. There is always the possibility they could be led to do something different but my guess is Elder Nelson will be President of the First Presidency within the next two days. Most likely he will select the same two counselors but that is his and the Lord’s call of course.

59 minutes ago, CMZ said:

President Nelson is now the prophet. The moment life passed from President Monson the First Presidency ceased to exist and Presidents Eyring and Uchtdorf resumed their places in the quorum they were in before they were called to the First Presidency (which in this case was The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles). President Nelson, being the senior apostle on earth and also the president of the highest governing priesthood body on earth at this time, is now the prophet.

Yes.

As an illustration, Brigham Young was not made president of the Church until after he led the vanguard group of pioneers from Nauvoo to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. Not until December of that year, after he and other Church leaders had returned to Winter Quarters, Nebraska, was he ordained as president of the Church.

Just now, The Nehor said:

Mine. ;)

President Nelson does lead the Church as President of the Quorum of the Twelve. If current practice is followed the Twelve cancel all assignments and meetings to travel as quickly as possible back to Salt Lake to select a successor. In the early days of the church the Twelve sometimes led directly instead of reorganizing the First Presidency but that is not likely but is technically possible. By tradition the senior apostle (Elder Nelson in this case) is selected as President of the First Presidency and is set apart by the next most senior apostle. He then selects two counselors and a new apostle is eventually chosen by the new President. There is always the possibility they could be led to do something different but my guess is Elder Nelson will be President of the First Presidency within the next two days. Most likely he will select the same two counselors but that is his and the Lord’s call of course.

Though not yet president of the Church, President Nelson is properly addressed with the title "President," as he presides over the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

6 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Yes.

As an illustration, Brigham Young was not made president of the Church until after he led the vanguard group of pioneers from Nauvoo to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847. Not until December of that year, after he and other Church leaders had returned to Winter Quarters, Nebraska, was he ordained as president of the Church.

Brigham was "ordained as president"  ?   Do you have a reference for this?  

9 hours ago, The Nehor said:

I am happy for him. I suspect he is happier now too.

I have a theory that men of that stature (in the Lord's eyes) go directly home, and that he is now with his beloved Frances.

I am going to miss his wonderful smile, his great stories, and his riveting messages.  I'm having a hard time reading the screen right now, but I loved that guy.

7 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Though not yet president of the Church, President Nelson is properly addressed with the title "President," as he presides over the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

Quite right. My bad. I almost typed President and then thought he had not been set apart yet.

The only change in address so far is that Eyring and Uchtdorf are back to being addressed as Elder at least for now.

Edited by The Nehor
7 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

Yes.

It had been almost four years since the death of the only President the young LDS Church had known, but when Brother Brigham was made President of the Church, he had already received D&C 136 (Jan 1847) and he had already convincingly demonstrated his leadership skills -- if there was really any doubt.  When he was made President on Dec 5, 1847 (the third day of Hanukka), it was in the midst of a Jewish Jubilee Year (from Sept 11, 1847 to Sept 28, 1848).  Of course he was unaware of those synchronisms.  Not only the vanguard company had arrived in Salt Lake (July 1847), but the first full company of Mormons had arrived in Oct 1847.  The full second company would also arrive late in that Jubilee year -- punctuated by the Miracle of Seagulls & Crickets in Summer -- this was a conscious reenactment of the Israelite Exodus.