Sign in to follow this  
FearlessFixxer

Setting aside the rhetoric that some would consider inflammatory, does this article make any good points?

The audience is subsequently directed to simply “trust” those in authority. Such rhetoric is invalidating, discourages exploration and free thought, completely lacks even a shred of empathy...

Is this the definition of 'gaslighting'?  I thought gaslighting was something different.

Neither Elders Oaks or Ballard are trained in History and i'd like to know what the historical credentials of the two authors are. I, personally, put more weight on people who are trained in History. Now, if they asked Richard Bushman, Richard Bennett or James Allen that same question i'd put more stock into it. It's like asking an expert what they are an expert in because that's what they are trained in. I don't think they should have been asked it in the first place.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Is this the definition of 'gaslighting'?  I thought gaslighting was something different.

No that is not the definition of gaslighting is when someone tries to invalidate a person's lived experience by trying to get them to doubt it ever happened.  In the context of this article and mormnsim, it is commonly seen in the form of members claiming that the church has never tried to hide any aspects of its history.  Or when a person says they never knew some aspect of history someone would respond and say that everyone has always known that.

1 minute ago, Duncan said:

Neither Elders Oaks or Ballard are trained in History and i'd like to know what the historical credentials of the two authors are. I, personally, put more weight on people who are trained in History. Now, if they asked Richard Bushman, Richard Bennett or James Allen that same question i'd put more stick into it. It's like ask an expert what they are an expert in because that's what they are trained in. I don't think they should have been asked it in the first place.

Bushman has said that the dominant church narrative is false and unsustainable.  We quoted Snow in the article...his quote is at odds with Oaks and Ballard.

I am not sure why one must be a trained historian to have an opinion on the matter.  That seems like a strange qualifier and borderline logical fallacy (appeal to authority)

This quote shows the narcissistic gaslighting tactics routinely employed by the leaders of the Mormon church.

I guess we're setting this aside?
Well then, it sounds good to me.

I have to admit, I enjoyed this a little more (no offense):

http://www.mormondiscussionpodcast.org/2017/11/radio-free-mormon-021-elder-ballard-blows-church/

In the next paragraph, after the one snipped above, you had said:

Setting aside the reference to an obscure and hard to find 1970 article in an attempt to claim the church never hid the existence of multiple First Vision accounts, this is a textbook example of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

you could have mentioned that the 1970 article is not found on the website, and that it itself is hardly a clear case of transparency.  But the history of the events that led to that 1970 article are quite interesting (mentioned in the linked to podcast).  Take a look, or listen.  

It starts with admitting mistakes were made. Not Steven Snow admitting it. Dallin Oaks needs to admit it. Russell Ballard needs to admit it. Every single man who wants the world to believe that they speak for God needs to look their followers in the eye and say that mistakes were made. This removes the ability for members of the Church to dismiss the issue and claim that those that doubt have no valid reason to do so.

The next step would be to scrub every single manual. There are manuals right now on lds.org that contain half-truths and, in some cases, outright lies. In some cases it would be necessary to explicitly refute what was previously taught so that the class can be instructed that they should not believe that to be true anymore. This will catalyze future instructional accuracy.

The third step would be to create a web page that summarizes all of the major issues that the church feels it should correct the record on. The recent Gospel Topic Essays can be used as a base, but there needs to be a more simplified format that the information is presented in. A matrix that shows what was taught and what is actually correct. Each item can have a footnote to one of the essays or some other appropriate resource.

The final step is to change the rhetoric. Stop telling people that those that question church history just didn’t pay attention enough to the 1970 article by James Allen. That is insulting to everyone’s intelligence. Recognize and validate the fact that there are real concerns over how church history has been presented over the years. Accept the fact that a certain number of people are going to leave the church over it and that they are not bad people for it.

very good and reasonable suggestions.  

1 minute ago, Robert F. Smith said:

No.  The dynamic duo is gaslighting and manipulating people who are even more naive than the are.  And in the SLTrib -- preaching to the choir.  The subject does deserve to be dealt with seriously and intelligently, but that is not what these guys give us, and I am disappointed.  The two most notable things about this essay is anger and ignorance. Another good opportunity down the drain . . .

what part of the article was manipulative and/or ignorant?

2 minutes ago, FearlessFixxer said:

Bushman has said that the dominant church narrative is false and unsustainable.  We quoted Snow in the article...his quote is at odds with Oaks and Ballard.

I am not sure why one must be a trained historian to have an opinion on the matter.  That seems like a strange qualifier and borderline logical fallacy (appeal to authority)

now you're gaslighting me!! oh, the Cheek!!!! let me put it to you this way would you rather see Sir Paul McCartney in concert or watch two 12 year olds perform a beatles song in their bathroom on youtube? amateur vs. a professional. People are entitled to their opinions but i'd personally put more weight on someone's opinion who's studied the topic and knows how history works and how historians work. I have to see the Dr. later today but I wouldn't want to see someone who is curious on the subject, I need to see alphabet soup after their last name if I were to take their opinion seriously.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, FearlessFixxer said:

I agree with the OP, there has been dishonesty and the statements by Elder Ballard are not accurate.  This is the strategy of apologists for the church.  I call it the trust the experts strategy, where they tell members that experts have looked at the historical record and they have no problems with it, so the regular members should just trust the experts and trust church leaders that nothing dishonest has ever taken place. 

Retention rates for the youngest generation are very poor and I think its because strategies like this are not retaining people in the younger generations.  

• Like 1

And let's be honest are critics of the Church setting the standard of how LDS church History should be written? a term I heard years ago "distortion by omission", is why you want someone who's read everything on the subject prior to writing about it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Yes, that's always been the definition of "gaslighting."  You must have been thinking of something different, which seems to be happening a lot with you lately.  Are you feeling okay?

Edited by cinepro
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, cinepro said:

When I was in the MTC, there was an Elder in my district who wasn't the fastest tapir in the flock. 

During one class,  we were studying the Book of Mormon discussion and Elder Shull, a lifelong member, exclaimed with shock "Wait, the Book of Mormon takes place here?  I thought it was in Israel!"

How would you respond to Elder Shull if he protested that he had "never been taught that" and that the Church had been "hiding'" that info form him?

It's obviously an extreme example, but it demonstrates that this isn't an either/or issue.  On the one hand, you have the fact that the Book of Mormon narrative takes place in the New World.  On the other hand, you have post-manifesto polygamy and Brigham Young's teachings on Adam/God or Blood Atonement.  There are varying degrees to which things were "hidden."

And as I've pointed out elsewhere, the First Vision accounts is probably a bad example since the different accounts were discussed in official Church publications not only in 1970 but also 1985, 1986 and 1995.  I've criticized those in the past who have argued that the Church was always totally forthcoming regarding these accounts, but I think it's a little overboard in the other direction to say that someone is being "gaslit" on the issue if they are told that the Church wasn't "hiding" the info.  Sure, maybe they weren't reading through old issues of the Church magazines, but that was up to them.  Dollars to donuts that those magazines were in their meetinghouse library for decades.

I think I may be confused, are you saying that Joseph Fielding Smith did not hide the 1832 account until after it was heard by others (I believe the Tanners) that he did have such an account?  Later it was released after it's long slumber, right?  Sounds like a clear case of a Church leader hiding something, right?

5 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

I think I may be confused, are you saying that Joseph Fielding Smith did not hide the 1832 account until after it was heard by others (I believe the Tanners) that he did have such an account?  Later it was released after it's long slumber, right?  Sounds like a clear case of a Church leader hiding something, right?

how do we know he even "hid" it or excised that portion out? he inherited that safe and also a large trunk of Smith family valuables, but do we know he put it in the safe and cut out the relevant portion or even why?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, FearlessFixxer said:

Please explain exactly why you think the church SHOULD disclose events and history which is unfavorable?

Does that include the assumption that because prophets are infallible and God speaks to them daily that they would never do such a thing?

I think that is clearly a false assumption if it includes that perception.  Prophets and "The Church" is a human organization run by humans.  If you think otherwise, perhaps you should re-think that position.  

Holding such a paradigm is really quite naive I think.

We are all sinners and that includes leaders of the church.   Is this news that the leaders are human?  We need to grow up a little if that is a dominant paradigm, but unfortunately I think it is in fact a dominant paradigm

This is a very positive time for the church, though it is a hard one to pass through.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Just for the sake of argument I am wondering why this is "wrong", conceding that it is an example of deliberate non-disclosure of information considered unfavorable.

Why should "The Church" be presumed have the responsibility to disclose such information?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FearlessFixxer said:

A flat-earther could use this way of thinking as well.   We don't need no stinking experts to have an opinion.  After all that is an appeal to authority!

Edited by mfbukowski
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Duncan said:

how do we know he even "hid" it or excised that portion out? he inherited that safe and also a large trunk of Smith family valuables, but do we know he put it in the safe and cut out the relevant portion or even why?

I don't know that it matters why.  I was at a conference some years ago and the expert on panel on the matter, who I think was Brian Whitney(?), I'll have to find it somewhere if wrong, suggested he'd give JFS a pass because JFS was still reeling from the evils that hit his family and was likely hiding the account because he feared others would rise up and cause problems, or something.  I was like "eh...we don't really know what he was doing with the account in the safe".  But it was nice when pressure was put on them (likely being JFS and his office), that they tried to tape the account back in pretending nothing was hidden at all.  Whatever the case< I would also like to point out that the 1970 article used to try and sell the membership on the Church being open (coming decades too late, I suppose) was not really much more then an effort to paint the 1832 account as nothing to be concerned about at all.  Certainly makes people scratch their head, then, if that is the case, why it was hidden for long?  I don't know that we know it was JFS who cut the account or not, but somehow it ended up in his case locked away.  When Elder Young of the 70 was given access he found a "strange account" of the first vision and was told not to tell anyone about it.  So it seems it was a known hide away.  

It then unfolded this way, as I understand it:

Elder Young tells LaMar Peterson, who was said to be an amateur historian, who eventually tells the Tanners.  The Tanners press for access but are denied. Some time later, Paul Cheesman, given access to get research for his master's thesis, found the book in question and found the pages taped back into it, which contained the 1832 account.  He wrote his thesis, which was his intent from the start, and the Church put a stop to it being publish, some say, but the Tanners published it anyway.  

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By blueglass
      Here is the 2019 end of year seminary assessment my kids received yesterday. Would love to hear your thoughts on the questions, the probable answers, and the doctrine taught.  Don't forget the last 4 questions pertaining to the Explain Doctrine section.  
      https://ibb.co/Dfz4JNr
      Read instructions before you start the test:
      Exam code: 8
      If you have difficulty taking the learning assessment in the traditional way, please talk with your teacher to figure out the best way to help you succeed.
      Use a no. 2 or HB pencil. Indicate your response by completely filling in the bubble on your answer sheet.
      Section name: Multiple Choice
        1.  Who will receive a place in a kingdom of glory? (1 mark)
      a) Every individual born into mortality
      b) All of God's children except the sons of perdition
      c) Only individuals who are worthy of exaltation
        2. Which of the following is a specific responsibility mentioned in the oath and covenant of the priesthood? (1 mar)
      a) To magnify their callings
      b) To pay a generous fast offering
      c) To not be idle
        3. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, in the Resurrection all individuals will receive ____ (1 mark)
      a) at least a terrestrial glory
      b) celestial glory
      c) glory according to the law they obeyed
        4. Which of the following blessings does God offer to those who keep the Word of Wisdom? (1 mark)
      a) They will not be burned at the Second Coming.
      b) Their bodies will be protected from all illness.
      c) They will receive wisdom and great treasures of knowledge.
        5. To be endowed in the temple means to receive ____ (1 mark)
      a) a guarantee of eternal life
      b) spiritual power and knowledge
      c) unique physical gifts from the Lord
        6. What does the existence of the precious truths in the Pearl of Great Pric teach us about the Prophet Joseph Smith? (1 mark)
      a) He no longer needed the power of God to help him translate.
      b) He was a prophet, seer, and revelator.
      c) He is the only prophet of this dispensation that can receive new scripture.
        7. As watchmen on the tower, modern prophets have a responsibility to ____ (1 mark)
      a) warn us of coming dangers
      b) stop Satan from tempting members of the Church
      c) change truth to fit modern times
        8. What is a bishop's or branch president's main responsibility when a teenager confesses sin to him? (1 mark)
      a) To prevent the person from being part of the Church
      b) To help the person receive forgiveness of the sins and regain peace of mind
      c) To inflict severe consequences and punishments from sinning
        9. Who visited the Prophet Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery in the Kirtland Temple to restore priesthood keys? (1 mark)
      a) Jeremiah, Isaiah, and Malachi
      b) Moses, Elias, and Elijah
      c) Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
        10. According to the Doctrine and Covenants, what are tithing funds used for? (1 mark)
      a) They are the main fund the Church uses to support the poor and the needy.
      b) They are used to build temples and to accomplish the work of the Lord.
      c) They are used to pay ward and branch members for serving in the Church.
        11. While the Prophet Joseph Smith was falsely imprisoned in Liberty Jail, the Lord taught him that adversity and affliction
      (1 mark)
      a) will not occur if we trust in God
      b) are always a consequence of our poor choices
      c) can give us experience and be for our good
        12. Which of the following is a true statement about Relief Society? (1 mark)
      a) It was divinely organized to assist in the work of salvation.
      b) It was established during the trek west to help Saints who were suffering.
      c) It did not exist during the lifetime of the Prophet Joseph Smith.
        13. A man and a woman will receive eternal life and glory if _____ (1 mark)
      a) they love each other more than they love themselves
      b) they keep the new and everlasting covenant of marriage they made in the temple
      c) they are married in the temple
        14. Why do our ancestors who die without having a knowledge of the gospel need us to perform ordinances for them in the temple?
      a) Without these ordinances, our ancestors cannot progress toward eternal life. (1 mark)
      b) Without these ordinances, our ancestors cannot be saved in any kingdom of glory.
      c} Without these ordinances, our ancestors will not be resurrected.
        15. Marriage between one man and one woman is the Lord's standing law. Wen is the only time plural marriage is justified?
      a) Wen there are more women than men in the Church (1 mark)
      b) Whenever local laws and traditions allow members to practice it without breaking the law
      c) When the Lord authorizes it through the priesthood keys given to the President of the Church
        16. When the President of the Church dies, which quorum becomes the presiding quorum of the Church? (1 mark)
      a) The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
      b) The Quorum of the First Presidency
      c) The Presiding Bishopric
        17. Which of the following shows the correct chronological order (first to last) of places the Saints were told to gather to? (1 mark}
      a) A stake in their homeland; Nauvoo, Illinois; Winter Quarters, Nebraska; Salt Lake City, Utah
      b) Nauvoo, Illinois; Winter Quarters, Nebraska; Salt Lake City, Utah; a stake in their homeland
      c) Winter Quarters, Nebraska; Nauvoo, Illinois; Salt Lake City, Utah; a stake in their homeland
        18. After the Savior visited the spirit world, what did righteous spirits there begin to do?
      a} They were all resurrected and began entering the highest kingdom of glory.
      b) They began performing ordinances for those who had not received them.
      c) They began teaching the gospel to those in spirit prison.
      (1 mark)
        19. According to Official Declaration 2, the Lord revealed that all worthy male Church members may ___ _ (1 mark)
      a) receive the ordinance of baptism
      b) serve a mission at age 18
      c) receive the priesthood and enjoy temple blessings
        20. What principle is emphasized in Doctrine and Covenants 121:36, 41-2? (1 mark)
      a) Priesthood holders can draw upon the powers of heaven only if they live righteously.
      b) lf we actively seek to learn through study and faith, our faith in Jesus Christ will increase.
      c) If we obey the Lord, He will always keep His promises to bless us.
        21. Which of the following accurately describes Heavenly Father? (1 mark)
      a) He is without feelings or emotions.
      b) He is a personage of Spirit and can dwell in us.
      c) He has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man's.
        22. Which of the following is a requirement for receiving exaltation in the celestial kingdom? (1 mark)
      a) Bearing testimony of the Savior is all that is needed.
      b) Receiving a patriarchal blessing
      c) Receiving and being valiant in the testimony of Jesus Christ
        23. Of the following groups, who will inherit the celestial kingdom? (1 mark)
      a) All children who die before they reach the age of accountability
      b) All members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
      c) All individuals who have been baptized
        24. Which eternal truth corrects the following worldly philosophy: "God doesn't care how marriage is defined"? (1 mark)
      a) Ever individual born into morality is a child of God, and God loves each of us.
      b) Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God.
      c) God changes truth to meet the circumstances and needs of His children.
        25. Which eternal truth corrects the following worldly philosophy: "It isn't as important for couples to have children today as it used to
      a) Marriage between a man and a woman is the ideal setting for children to be born, reared, and nurtured.
      b) God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between a man and a woman who are
      lawfully wedded as husband and wife.
      c) God's commandment fr husbands and wives to have children remains in force today.
        26. Which eternal truth corrects the following worldly philosophy: "As long as two individuals love each other, physical intimacy is
      acceptable"? (1 mark)
      a) Marriage between a man and a woman is the ideal setting for children to be born, reared, and nurtured.
      c) God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between a man and a woman who are
        27. Which eternal truth corrects the following worldly philosophy: "As governments continue to redefine marriage, God's definition of
      marriage will change to reflect the values of modern society"? (1 mark)
      a) Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God.
      b) God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between a man and a woman who are
      c) Changes in the civil law do not change the moral law that God has established.
        28. Which eternal truth corrects the following worldly philosophy: "The only purpose of marriage is for adults to find fulfillment and
      happiness"? (1 mark)
      c) God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between a man and a woman who are
      Section name: Explain Doctrine _
      Instructions: Write your answer on a piece of paper. Compare your response with the correct answer received from your teacher. After self-grading the explain-doctrine question, bubble in your answer sheet.
      Self-grade your answer for each question:
      a. Yes, I explained this in my response.
      b. No, I left this out of my response.
        29. What is an example of a truth that was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Explain why the truth you chose can help you receive eternal life. (1 mark)
        30. What is an example of an ordinance that was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Explain why the ordinance you chose can help you receive eternal life. (1 mark)
        31. What is an example of priesthood authority that was restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Explain why this authority of the priesthood can help you receive eternal life. (1 mark)
        32. Share your personal thoughts on the importance of the Prophet Joseph Smith. (1 mark)
    • By blueglass
      Really impressed with Kate Holbrook's interview with Terryl Givens.  She's thoughtful, candid, and inspiring as she speaks about her persistence to get a PhD and work full time for the church as a manger of church history.  She's working on a project with Lisa Tate on the history of the young women's organization.  
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2G7k1ggz7k&amp;feature=em-uploademail
      One thing I caught that I hadn't heard before was when Terryl asks her about whether she felt a sense of loss and a sense of jubilation when studying the history of the RS.  Joseph envisioned a more collaborative relationship with the male priesthood, more autonomy, abundance of spiritual gifts, authority to administer ordinances including healing by the laying of hands.  Kate responds that she understands the hyperfocus on this time period, but she feels there is a lost opportunity in recognizing the accomplishments of the women of the 20th century - she then backtracks a bit and says:
      "I don't want to say that their isn't a difference, between - a time when a woman was able to say I have this terrific idea she's say the General RS president and she goes and talks to the president of the church about it.  That is certainly different than now, when she goes and talks to someone in the presiding bishopric, and it has to go through several levels to even get to the president.  There is a loss, and there is a difference."
      I had no idea that the General RS president did not have direct access to the quorum of the 12, and first presidency?  Why in 3 heavens does the general RS president still have such an auxiliary level of access to the presiding apostolic quorum, access to financial influence through Pres Bishopric perhaps, but no real budget to work with?  No seat on the correlation committee?  
      Kate has a great story about how Ardeth Greene Kapp (General YW president 84-92') while receiving a downpour of revelation would use innovative, clever ways and technology to push the ideas upward through the hierarchy.  
    • By FearlessFixxer
      Greetings.

I was told by a friend that I needed to check this site out and I am super impressed!  I love the commentary, both for and against, the various leaks we have have over the last year.

This is by far the best forum currently discussing the leaks.

Anyway, I thought I would offer myself up to you all and do an AMA (Ask Me Anything).

No questions are off the table, but I reserve the right to say no comment 

If you need proof that this is really me you can PM me at https://www.facebook.com/FearlessFixxer

Cheers

Moderator advice: Welcome to the board, feel free to join in but we do not allow personal ads. 
    • By rockpond
      For anyone out there who has been dying to know how much a temple employee makes <crickets>, some 2006 data is now available!
      MormonLeaks has also created a page where they are compiling all leaks that have to do with church salaries, it's here:
      https://mormonleaks.io/wiki/index.php?title=Mormon_Church_Salaries
      If you were looking to become employed with the church, it appears that (as of 2006) the top salaries there maxed out around $130k.  Likely a bit higher now.
    • By Bernard Gui
      On a thread that was closed for not supplying a topic for discussion.....
      I listened to the podcast. It takes apart Elder Packer's CES address where he defined what is a faithful/faith-promoting history of the Church.
      He calls his blog "Radio Free Mormon broadcasting behind enemy lines." Who is his enemy? It appears his enemy is the Church and its leaders.
      An hour-long monologue making a case that Boyd Packer was immoral, unethical, and a liar who worshipped a false God based on his CES talk about church history and Leonard Arrington. Also accuses the General Authorities of publishing books for the purpose of making a profit. He doesn't like Elder Packer who is portrayed as an evil man. Also dredges up the Gordon Hinckley's "I don't know" interview to question his integrity. Church leaders are part of a deceptive conspiracy to cover up the truth of church history.
      Some here knew Leonard Arrington. I have enjoyed his writings. Is it fair to say he was demoted from his position as Church Historian to a professor at BYU? Is it fair to claim Elder Packer was an unethical liar?