Seriously No Politics ×

"Priesthood Ban" in Gospel Doctrine - What Happens When a PhD Historian Teaches...

40 minutes ago, cinepro said:

So this happened in Gospel Doctrine today.  Needless to say it was a great lesson. 

The most interesting part was some older members of the ward who kept insisting that "they [the black people] weren't ready for it [the Priesthood]IMG_20171119_130451b.thumb.jpg.9692fc199a63a7fb3ebaf8f66a35d130.jpg" or "the Church members just weren't ready for it."

IMG_20171119_130502.thumb.jpg.52b0e43f7453e724a254b9e66980a714.jpg

The items on the far left read:

1879-1908: LDS leaders increasingly conservative stance on black priesthood and temple admission

1907: Joseph Fielding Smith, then assistant Church Historian, argued that the idea that black people were neutral in the War in Heaven as the source of their rejection from the priesthood was "merely the opinion of men."

1908: Joseph F. Smith solidified temple and priesthood restrictions.  He erased Elijah Abel as a black priesthood holder from LDS collective memory.

1949: First Presidency declared "always" in place.

David O. McKay pushed for reform, but convinced it would require a revelation.

Hugh B. Brown, President McKay's counselor, believed that because no revelation began the ban no revelation was needed to end it.

1963:  Apostle Spencer W. Kimball: "I know the Lord could change his policy and release the ban and forgit hte possible error which brought about deprivation."

So did they discuss the content in the essays?

5 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

So did they discuss the content in the essays?

So it looks like Hugh B Brown was mistaken. A revelation from heaven (an overwhelmingly powerful one at that) was indeed needed before the ban could be lifted.

Aware of the promises made by the prophets and presidents of the Church who have preceded us that at some time, in God’s eternal plan, all of our brethren who are worthy may receive the priesthood, and witnessing the faithfulness of those from whom the priesthood has been withheld, we have pleaded long and earnestly in behalf of these, our faithful brethren, spending many hours in the Upper Room of the Temple supplicating the Lord for divine guidance.

He has heard our prayers, and by revelation has confirmed that the long-promised day has come when every faithful, worthy man in the Church may receive the holy priesthood, with power to exercise its divine authority, and enjoy with his loved ones every blessing that flows therefrom, including the blessings of the temple. Accordingly, all worthy male members of the Church may be ordained to the priesthood without regard for race or color. Priesthood leaders are instructed to follow the policy of carefully interviewing all candidates for ordination to either the Aaronic or the Melchizedek Priesthood to insure that they meet the established standards for worthiness. (Official Declaration II)

1 hour ago, Bobbieaware said:

So it looks like Hugh B Brown was mistaken. 

Yes, leaders were fallible back then just as they are today.  Which means our current leaders may be mistaken about policies and beliefs taught today too.

(And this lesson sounds awesome Cinepro!!)

3 hours ago, cinepro said:

So this happened in Gospel Doctrine today.  Needless to say it was a great lesson. 

The most interesting part was some older members of the ward who kept insisting that "they [the black people] weren't ready for it [the Priesthood]" or "the Church members just weren't ready for it."

I can't help the ringing in my ear long after I finished listening Michael Quinn's lament with john Dehlin interview; "We lost a whole generation giving the misinformation".

7 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

I'm not impressed by it either.

What do you disagree with or believe that she got wrong?  Can you be more specific?

It seems members here blame those members who do not know true history and yet when a teacher makes an effort to teach more in depth, they are criticized.  

So please tell us what you are not impressed with regarding the lesson....

5 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Awesome post and responses. Makes me wonder what will happen to this forum when we realize that we're living in the dispensation of the fullness of times when every gospel principle will be revealed/restored/practiced, etc. 

When that happens presumably ressurrected beings will finally feel comfortable

logging on to this board.