Seriously No Politics ×

Where are we now in Book of Mormon timeline?

Reading thru the BoM and am currently on Alma 10 - Amulek lays it down in very clear terms; prayers of the righteous are sparing total destruction; lawyers, judges corrupting the law, etc.

Curious as to where YOU think we are in the pride cycle / timeline of the BoM?  Probably not 3 Nephi 1 with the greater signs and miracles but possibly Alma 10-ish point in history?

The eclipse last summer, the eclipse 7 years from that time, and the eclipse 7 years from the coming eclipse - and the land fall of some of those eclipses (Sacred Grove, Nauvoo, Adam-ondi-Ahman, etc.) - while these might not be the last and final signs, dismissing their significance seems odd.

17 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

In the BoM , things started to unravel about 200 years after Christ's appearance. It took another 200 years to completely mess up the Nephites. Will we do any better?

We won't drift into Apostasy like the Nephites et al. did but I guess what I'm really asking is what you think our current distance from the Second Coming is

1 hour ago, nuclearfuels said:

We won't drift into Apostasy like the Nephites et al. did but I guess what I'm really asking is what you think our current distance from the Second Coming is

If you want dead reckoning, I'd guess you have about 26 years before the Second Coming -- that is until the next Jewish Jubilee year which begins Monday Oct 5, 2043 (1 Tishrei 5804) and ends Thursday Sept 22, 2044 (1 Tishrei 5805), from Jewish New Year to Jewish New Year.  You will notice that Sept 22 is the anniversary of Joseph Smith taking the Book of Mormon plates from the hill in Manchester, which was also Jewish New Year.  It is also the Autumnal Equinox.  Since the Jewish calendar is a floating lunar calendar, such synchronisms are uncommon, but noteworthy.

The last really important Jubilee Year was the Mormon Exodus of 1847, which included the miracle of the seagulls and crickets.

That should give you just enough time to get married, raise a family, and get your genealogy done.

19 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

If you want dead reckoning, I'd guess you have about 26 years before the Second Coming -- that is until the next Jewish Jubilee year which begins Monday Oct 5, 2043 (1 Tishrei 5804) and ends Thursday Sept 22, 2044 (1 Tishrei 5805), from Jewish New Year to Jewish New Year.  You will notice that Sept 22 is the anniversary of Joseph Smith taking the Book of Mormon plates from the hill in Manchester, which was also Jewish New Year.  It is also the Autumnal Equinox.  Since the Jewish calendar is a floating lunar calendar, such synchronisms are uncommon, but noteworthy.

The last really important Jubilee Year was the Mormon Exodus of 1847, which included the miracle of the seagulls and crickets.

That should give you just enough time to get married, raise a family, and get your genealogy done.

So you are saying paying off my house in ten years instead of thirty was the wrong decision? :( 

22 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Reading thru the BoM and am currently on Alma 10 - Amulek lays it down in very clear terms; prayers of the righteous are sparing total destruction; lawyers, judges corrupting the law, etc.

Curious as to where YOU think we are in the pride cycle / timeline of the BoM?  Probably not 3 Nephi 1 with the greater signs and miracles but possibly Alma 10-ish point in history?

The eclipse last summer, the eclipse 7 years from that time, and the eclipse 7 years from the coming eclipse - and the land fall of some of those eclipses (Sacred Grove, Nauvoo, Adam-ondi-Ahman, etc.) - while these might not be the last and final signs, dismissing their significance seems odd.

I believe one of the main points of the BoM  is to impress cycle of men. As a society we are definitely in the prideful, selfish stage. How far the Church is in this cycle is somewhat debatable, but there is a book speaking to this cycle, which says we are now in the fourth stage as a society. In fact this book predicted something major in the way of an economic trial would happen within the decade, and indeed we had the 2007-2009 crash. It says we are not out of that episode. The book is The Fourth Turning. It is a good read because it echoes the cycles taught in the BoM, although it uses more secular terminology.

To answer your question more specifically with regards to where we are in the BoM, I give you

3 Nephi 21:

6 For thus it behooveth the Father that it should come forth from the Gentiles, that he may show forth his power unto the Gentiles, for this cause that the Gentiles, if they will not harden their hearts, that they may repent and come unto me and be baptized in my name and know of the true points of my doctrine, that they may be numbered among my people, O house of Israel;

7 And when these things come to pass that thy seed shall begin to know these things—it shall be a sign unto them, that they may know that the work of the Father hath already commenced unto the fulfilling of the covenant which he hath made unto the people who are of the house of Israel.

8 And when that day shall come, it shall come to pass that kings shall shut their mouths; for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider.

23 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

It is a tradition within Judaism that God does not immediately destroy the world only because there are 36 Righteous ones on Earth (the Lamed-Vavim, based on the Hebrew letters lamed and vav = 36).  Another tradition is that only the continual study of Talmud-Tora by Yeshiva students and scholars prevents destruction of the world.

Of 14.5 million Jews in the world, 44% now live in Israel, and 40% in the USA.  That gathering has been extraordinary and constant, with over 75% of Israelis now native born in the Holy Land.  The Jews still have to build their temple in Jerusalem, and the times of the Gentiles must end, among other things, before Jesus returns.

As we sing in our hymn "Redeemer of Israel":  "The tokens already appear, . . The hour of redemption is near."